Correspondence

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Has anybody here taken any courses by correspondence? Did you find you could discipline yourself to do it? Do you wish you had just took the course(s) in a classroom, or was correspondence the answer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Charli

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
Bookmarking.[/color]
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
No correspondence courses, but
The discipline needed for a correspondence course is probably similar to "Independent Study" (for credit) and CLEP (College Level Examination Program - for credit). As an undergraduate, I did several of each. I don't remember any difficulties associated with the amount of effort expended for a good outcome. It's a matter of goal-setting and determination to achieve those goals. Too, the person must be a realist concerning their abilities for these undertakings. If you want something badly enough . . . Decide you can do it and GO FOR IT!

Good luck! -- Charli
[/color] Smile Smile Smile

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:05 pm
Some people do well with independent study and some need a more structured classroom setting. Only you know what kind of learning situation is best for you.

What subject area are we talking about here, though?

Hi Charli!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
Educational assistant!
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:54 am
Educational assistant through correspondence course? Uh....I shouldn't think so. Again, the folks doing the hiring are going to expect you to have REAL experience with students. You don't get that through correspondence. I worked as a teacher aide for four years with NO classes.
No offense, but if I'm understanding this scenario correctly, you have no experience with children and you're talking about shelling out money for some correspondent class that will qualify you to be a teacher aide??????
Uh-uh. First check with the principals of schools in your area and ask them what would be required for that position. Do some volunteer time in a few classrooms to see if you could even stand being with a bunch of kids all day.

If you're talking about a real para-pro position, such as working with handicapped or other Special Ed. kids, you need way more than a correspondent course, and again....and I can't stress this enough....you need first hand experience, not pseudo learning.
Correspondence courses are fine for computer stuff and English Lit and some other things, but not teaching.
Good luck!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
Ok, whoa, back the truck up!!! Thanks for your input, but before you go on bashing something you know nothing about, I think you should find out more about what i'm taking! First of all, i'll be taking a total of 16 classes, two of which are practicums, so there is my experience. I will be trained to work with special needs kids, and also kids with higher learning abilities. Also, I am taking half of my classes for sure through night classes at a college. And I know for a fact that I could get a job as an E.A right now if a job came up. I have also looked after kids since I was able to, I was also a live in nanny you could say. I've also worked with E.A's growing up, going to school aswell, I know how these children feel, i have been there, and now I want to give to those students who will need me. This program is coming out of one of the best universities in Canada. I know people who have less then I do presently working as an E.A!
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
Down Kujo!
I wasn't bashing. I was asking questions and painting a scenario of what to expect in a job interview in the teaching arena.

Since you seem to have answered your own questions already, why did you bother to ask here, if you didn't want concrete answers.

Again, good luck.
With that defensive attitude, you'll need it.
Have a nice day!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:52 pm
I asked this question before I decided to take some courses in the classroom, as you can see, this is an old thread!
0 Replies