Help with Geology needed!!

Anneee

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 04:10 am
I am following a basic course in geology, but I find it very difficult... Could anyone help me with these questions? I read al the study materials and followed the lectures, but none of them gave any information about how to solve these questions.. Sad

- Given that the Brunhes/Matuyama magnetic reversal is 15.6 km from the ridge axis in the South Atlantic, how fast does sea-floor move away from the ridge axis (in cm/yr)?
(Absolute age of the Brunhes/Matuyama magetic reversal: 0.78 M.yr. (million years) - and - Absolute age of the Matuyama/Gauss magetic reversal: 2.58 M.yr. (million years))

- And given that the Matuyama/Gauss magnetic reversal is 51.6 km from the ridge axis in the South Atlantic, what is its spreading rate of the ridge axis (in cm/yr)?

- Now calculate the width of the oceanic part of the South Atlantic for constant spreading and given that the maximum age of the sea-floor is 145 M.yr. old. (in km)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 850 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 01:01 pm
@Anneee,
Heres a GSSP chart (ya better familiarize yourself if youre gonna be in the craft).
http://www.stratigraphy.org/GSSP/index.html

and this one
http://www.stratigraphy.org/bak/gssp.htm

Rtification of all the C1n to C2r sections has been completed almost 10 years ago
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2015 06:09 am
@farmerman,
youre welcome kid.
I was gonna give you a hint involving a variation of (t) X (v)=D
0 Replies