Campaign for Real Barbecue makes me hungry

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:43 pm
Barbecue lovers are many, including my relatively ignorant self. There's a good article in the New Yorker by Calvin Trillin worth a read: In Defense of True 'Cue, keeping pork pure in North Carolina.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/02/in-defense-of-the-true-cue

Read it and enjoy!! or enjoy arguing about it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 10:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I get a little chuckle from the "Real barbecue" title. (Yet without missing a beat, the NYer had another Trillin piece about "Real Texass bbq".
A writer writes and tries to stir the pot.

As Duke ELlington said
"Theres only two kinds of music, good and bad"
Same thing with bbq. , No matter what the local Tourist Bureaus want you to believe, unless its poorly cooked, its ALL good.
There are times I crave a vinegar Piedmont suace on my pulled pork, and there are times I only want tomato sauced ribs (NO BABY BACKS PLEASE).
Baby back rib eaters should be stuffed into the trunks of their BMW 700's and buried in the meadowlands with all the other "Food posers"
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2015 01:19 am
@farmerman,
As you know, I am bbq stupid.

I liked trying it if only for the sauce recipe..

If I ever buy ribs it is a giant lurch in my food budget. You may not know who you are talking to. I live on very little money, precariously. I am still, of course, snotty.

0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2015 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
The best "BBQ" I ever had was after 3 Winter days of US Air Force survival school in the woodlands North of Spokane WA. We caught a bunny in a wire trap. We thumped her, skinned her and burned her over a pinewood fire. It was our first real meal in 2 1/2 days. Mmmm good!
Mexican Barbacoa is actually the original BBQ. It's more of a party making it with friends and family.
The best commercial BBQ I've had was in Stephenville TX, home of Rodeo and rodeo clowns. Okay, let's eat!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 04:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I hadda dig up this thrad that osso started two yers ago. Because I mqde some observations that I apparently didnt heed. I got a bunch of baby bck rcks for our 4th "cue" (Actually it ws a rib grilling and not a real slow ,low T barbecue.
Several reasons.
1.I dont have a smoker any more, my son stole it when he moved to NC .

2Ive got a bigqss WEBER grill that, hile big enough to barbecue or smoke a dinner for three or four. Serves best as a grill when the entire town shows up.

I bought some baby bck ribs and, like my previous post, I should be taken to the meadowlqnds.
The baby-bcks rally sucked.

I parboiled em and they were still dry. Ive never hqad baby back ribs that were barbecued on an open fire that didnt taste like cotton swabs with sauce on em.

I will , hereonandeverafter stick with only St Louis or Spareribs just becaue these cuts (nd trimmings) retain their juiciness.

The beanhole beans were good I didnt eat anything else
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 05:15 pm
I'm all about having the meat well cooked and with only a little sauce. Makes no difference which species, I like it all, with pulled pork slightly more liked.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 07:18 pm
I like both spareribs and baby back ribs, sorry. I make a Kansas City type sauce that I got off the internet. Haven't played around with other sauces since I really like that one. I still eat meat, but much less than in the old days.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 07:26 pm
@ossobucotemp,
heres a cooking question. How were the baby bqck ribs made , were they baked, slow cooked, done in a smoker or barbecue??

The answer will tell us .

Maybe its just me but I dont think ribe joints even serve baby bck (except maybe Applebees or the place that advertized with that song "Gimmeee my baby back baby back baby back"

My mom made baby backs and she always pressure cooked em or did them in a slow cooker (My dad hated barbecuing except for steaks)
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 07:41 pm
@farmerman,
I slow roast them.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 07:46 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I've probably only been to two bbq joints ever - one in south LA, woman named Marie ran it, when, maybe 30 years or more ago, the name was Marie's Hungry Me, wonderful. The UPS guys my husband worked with used to go there. The other was the ribs at a place here in Albuqueque that Dys liked, maybe was part of a chain. I think I like mine better, but that was a while ago too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 07:59 pm
I only eat ribs after I have cooked them. Last time I got some at a joint they were dry and what I could gnaw off the bone was too tough to chew. I cook them over charcoal for a bit, then slow bake them in the oven. Not a whole lot of sauce, but enough to taste it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2017 08:04 pm
I have some cedar scraps I saved for fire starting. Never did like squirting fluid on the charcoal.
0 Replies