Is Richard Dawkins a scientist?

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Rockwell was and is an illustrator.

Dawkins was and is a scientist
Nobody said he 'wasn't' But if Rockwell had ended his career making drawings resembling my daughter's at age 3, we would feel pity or something like that rather than admiration for his later work.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:51 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
so once someone dies they are no longer considered to be a scientist?

you're heading in an interesting direction with your argument

Isaac Newton was a scientist. Whether or not it makes sense to say he is a scientist would best be judged by looking at the context of the statement.

I appreciate your wanting to protect people from the stupidity of failing to take context into account. But it seems the best way to do that would be to demonstrate that flexibility of mind yourself.

Engineer incorrectly characterized Wilson's comments, and his statement that Dawkins' views are 'entirely in line with the prevailing views of the scientific community' is false.

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:17 am
@Thomas,
Quote:

Maybe not, but he doesn't need to be. The purpose of arguments isn't to impress you, it's to support one's case.

The word is not "to impress" but to make a compelling argument. WHICH, in my mind , he does not. He strays from evidence anddives right into evidence-free polemic.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:30 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Are you implying that the statements "Richard Dawkins is a scientist" and "Kenneth Miller is a scientist" are mutually exclusive? Signature
In this case yes. THE REASON? Ken Miller is working and producing in his field and Dawkins is not..

Quote:
That's why I focus on the parts on which we don't.
Out of context arguments are "quote mining" . The context is all important.

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the original question seems to have been answered on page one

True, but when has an A2K thread ever stuck to the original question? Smile

One tangential question that continues to intrigue me is where farmerman gets the idea that Dawkins's atheism books, especially The God Delusion, are somehow unbecoming of a scientist. To pursue this question, I skimmed The God Delusion with an eye towards chapters and passages that lack "scientificness". Here is what I found:

(A) After going over what he sees as the rules of engagement (chapter 1), Dawkins starts his argument by stating "the god hypothesis" he intends to rebut in his book. Then he proceeds to state his own counter-hypothesis (chapter 2).

Richard Dawkins wrote:
[God hypothesis:]
There exists a superhuman, supernatural intelligence who deliberately designed and created the universe and everything in it, including us.

[Dawkins's counter-hypothesis]
Any creative intelligence , of sufficient complexity to design anything, comes into existence only as the end product of an extended process of gradual evolution.

(B) Having stated the two hypotheses, he rebuts the traditional arguments Aquinas, Descartes, and other have offered for the existence of god. (chapter 3), and defends his hypothesis that there almost certainly is no god (chapter 4). Dawkins uses no more than critical-thinking-101 techniques for the former part and no more than science-literacy-101 and logic-101 techniques on the latter. I sort of understand if farmerman feels insufficiently dazzled by Dawkins's science skillz, and that Dawkins's just-plain-science books dazzle him more. But as I said before, middle-school skills are all it takes, and nothing in Dawkins's line of reasoning seems incompatible with science to me.

Indeed, the best argument against the book I have heard so far is that the existence of god is not a scientific hypothesis, and that treating it like one is fundamentally misguided. Dawkins's book, according this argument, is a 400-page error cascade caused by missing the point at the outside. As it happens, I disagree with that, but let's assume for the sake of discussion that it's right. In that case, Dawkins's sin isn't that he's arguing like a scientist, it's that he's arguing like too much of a scientist.

(C) Having disposed of the common arguments for god's existence, and having made his own case that she probably doesn't, Dawkins then addresses what he calls "belief in belief". That's what he calls the view that although belief in god is ill-supported by evidence, one should still believe in her, or at least defer to people who do, because of the morals religion teaches and the good behavior it encourages. To address this viewpoint, Dawkins sketches the evolution of religion (chapter 5) and morality (chapter 6), demonstrates that we do not, in fact, get our morals from our holy books (chapter 7). He concludes that this is a good thing because the Bible, for example, teaches terrible morals (pro-slavery, pro-genocide, etc) and encourages atrocious behavior (chapters 8 and 9). Atrocious enough to kill the belief-in-belief rationale. Dawkins concludes with a few brief remarks about kicking the religion habit and drawking inspiration from the natural world instead (chapter 10).

Is Dawkins's argument against belief in belief unbecoming of a scientist? To be sure, his history of morality and religion draws almost exclusively on evolution and evolutionary psychology; he could probably have improved it by seeking the input of sociologists, historians, and cultural anthropologists. But again, that would be a problem of Dawkins being too much of a scientist, insufficiently versed in the humanities.

Independently, notice that "belief in belief" isn't a scientific position. It's a moral position in favor of endorsing the god delusion even if it is scientifically unsupported. The proper course for rebutting it, then, is to offer moral counterarguments (which Dawkins does). There would have been no need for Dawkins to use scientific arguments at all.

So again, if there's a problem with Dawkins's "scientificness" in The God Delusion, it's that he argues too much like a scientist. The notion that The God Delusion tarnishes Dawkins's standing as a scientist is absurd.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
In this case yes. THE REASON? Ken Miller is working and producing in his field and Dawkins is not.

As ehBeth pointed out, "scientist" does not mean "currently-practicing scientist". That's a requirement you're slipping in arbitrarily.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:40 am
@Tuna,
Engineer had/has it right.

Richard Dawkins is a scientist.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 11:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Not that I believe this but using Dawkins own belief in the spontaneous or random organization of first life, I could postulate that since a God is obviously a totally different life form, he could have formed and evolved in the storm of quarks after the Big Bang and there wouldn't be a thing he or you could do to argue against it.

(1) What makes you say "not that I believe this"? If you truly think this is such a plausible argument, why isn't it good enough for you to believe?

(2) Dawkins takes pains to point out that evolution is not random.

(3) Dawkins explicitly allows for the (hypothetical) possibility that life on Earth was created by aliens --- aliens who have evolved to such an advanced stage of development that we would call them gods if we met them. (His point in this thought experiment is that they would still be natural beings who emerged by natural rather than supernatural causes.) How does your evolved god differ materially from Dawkins's god-like aliens?

Leadfood wrote:
And that was his best argument. The rest of his arguments were even more juvenile.

As I said in one of my replies to farmerman, juvenile arguments are fine because a middle-school education is all it takes to rebut the arguments for god.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
In this case yes. THE REASON? Ken Miller is working and producing in his field and Dawkins is not.

To further clarify your definition: Let's say you retire in 10 years, and in 20 years someone asks you if you're a scientist. Are you going to say "no"?
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Engineer had/has it right.

Richard Dawkins is a scientist.

I actually didn't know what an amazing scientist he is until I looked into it further. I was most amazed at the influence he's had on intellectual pursuits beyond science, such as the notion of the "meme."

Engineer's answer is correct. However, it wasn't helpful in regard to what I wanted to understand. Why are there opposing views? What's the basis of the view that he isn't a scientist? Engineer encouraged me to look somewhere else to find that answer. I did take that advice, although I used farmerman's assessment in determining where to look.

In regard to the other issues I mentioned (Dawkins' scientific outlook and criticisms from people like Wilson) engineer's comments were simply wrong. An answer which is peppered with misinformation is not helpful.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:20 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:
What's the basis of the view that he isn't a scientist?

Mischief ignorance, and wishful thinking. In Wilson's case I suppose it's mischief. In the case of the faithheads who'll jump on anything anti-Dawkins they can find, I suppose it's all of the above.
Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:21 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Mischief.

So it's Eve's fault. I knew it.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:24 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"Not that I believe this but using Dawkins own belief in the spontaneous or random organization of first life, I could postulate that since a God is obviously a totally different life form, he could have formed and evolved in the storm of quarks after the Big Bang and there wouldn't be a thing he or you could do to argue against it."

Thomas replies:
(1) What makes you say "not that I believe this"? If you truly think this is such a plausible argument, why isn't it good enough for you to believe?

(2) Dawkins takes pains to point out that evolution is not random.

(3) Dawkins explicitly allows for the (hypothetical) possibility that life on Earth was created by aliens --- aliens who have evolved to such an advanced stage of development that we would call them gods if we met them. (His point in this thought experiment is that they would still be natural beings who emerged by natural rather than supernatural causes.) How does your evolved god differ materially from Dawkins's god-like aliens?

1. Because I was pointing out how empty Dawkins' arguments were, not lecturing you on my own theology.

2. Read the frigg'n post. I said 'first life'. Evolution and natural selection has to have something to start with. Same could be true of a God. Your arguments are as empty as Dawkins. So what do YOU propose as cause of first life if not random chance?

3. And that is a great example of Dawkins' hypocrisy. He condemns kicking the can down the road and then tries doing it himself.
Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:34 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
In Wilson's case I suppose it's mischief.

No. It's that confusion resulted when Dawkins criticized him.

Science journalists came to the rescue to explain that Wilson and Dawkins do not challenge one another in the same arena. Some of the attitudes I came across regarding Dawkins were so insulting to him that I didn't know if I was reading a criticism from a believer or not. Turns out not. In some quarters of the scientific community Dawkins views are considered 'too confused to be worth engaging.'

Anyway, I think I did finally get some understanding of the answer to my question. You and ehBeth are free to assume it was a stupid question. I don't care.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:52 pm
@Tuna,
Quote:
. In some quarters of the scientific community Dawkins views are considered 'too confused to be worth engaging.'

Like I done said in another thread, Tuna:

Quote:
As far as Dawkins goes, there is often a significant difference between "is" and "was."

If there is such a thing as a "scientist," and if there is such a thing as a "scientific mind," then surely one must have the latter to be considered the former.

According to many of his homeys (atheists and scientists) poor Richard just aint got no "scientific mind" no more. Aint likely he will ever get back to his usta be, neither.

http://able2know.org/topic/301364-4#post-6064596
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:31 pm
To Farmer:

By the way, Farmer, for what it's worth (not nuthin, I know, but, still...), I am impressed by many of your statements about Dawkins, in particular, and on this whole topic in general. Truth be told, I would never have expected to hear the kinds of distinctions and observations you're making about Dawkins from you.

For some reason, I kinda had you pegged as someone who would fall right in line with the attitude and position that Thomas is expressing here.
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:34 pm
@layman,
Quote:
As far as Dawkins goes, there is often a significant difference between "is" and "was."

I think that's true.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:53 pm
@Tuna,
Tuna wrote:
Why are there opposing views? What's the basis of the view that he isn't a scientist?

a good old-fashioned pissing match

who's got the biggest dick becomes who is the biggest dick

it's not that complicated

acadaemia tends to be like that (IMNSHO + E)
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Tuna wrote:
Quote:
Why are there opposing views? What's the basis of the view that he isn't a scientist?

Kinda like those who vehemently argue that, by God, Dawkins IS a scientist, eh, Beth?
0 Replies

Tuna

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:27 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

I specifically asked farmerman if that was the issue. He didn't answer me. I went looking for a reliable and objective viewpoint expecting to find that very situation. I did find such a source. And you're wrong.

I'll give you the same advice engineer gave me. Google it.