Taking the Massachusetts' Teacher Certification Tests

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:23 am
I took the English qualifying test, Saturday, at Arlington High School.

Thank goodness for the Democrats and the convention security for once. I live in Winchester and was originally scheduled to take the test in North Quincy! Why? SO that I could buy more gas and stimulate the economy of the North quincy Starbucks?

The test consisted of 100 multiple choice questions and two essays. Thought some of the questions had no legitimate answers!

Will discuss the essay questions further later -- have only 6 minutes of computer time left.

For the time being, would like to hear from others taking subject area qualifying tests and what they thought of them. It was, in my opinion, the most poorly constructed test I ever took.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,608 • Replies: 4
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:56 pm
It's a government test. All government tests suck.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
Yes and no about it being a government test. It is put together by a for profit testing corp. I feel that the corporation was told to have questions of scansion, Emily Dickenson, Moby Dick, James Joyce, Shakespeare . . . and went to the index of some classroom texts and looked up the targetted names. They then yanked material out of context to make up tests.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
I took them 6 years ago. What a crock!

We had to take a dictation. Do they still make you do this inane task? (Like transcription is a necessary skill for an educatior).

I agree with you they were tedious and poorly constructed.

The one bright side of the teacher tests is it gives perspective on the crap that students have to go through.

The subject test I took in Physics was a bit better. There were the standard mathematical questions, and a few that did not have the correct answer, but it was clear the answer they were expecting.

Make sure you know what a preposition is.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 10:56 am
ebrown,

What is this dictation business? I took the general tests, on language usage, two years ago and there was no dictation then. A friend asked me about dictation the other day.

My daughter took the French test and a question on Simone de Beauvoir offered these choices for why she is famous:

A.) affair with Jean-Paul Sartre

B.) came to America and met Nelson Algren and wrote book about him

C.) Feminist theorist

D.) novelist who won the Prix Goncourt.

All are true! Dumb!
0 Replies