A Second Chernobyl in Israel?

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:23 am
Quote:
Israeli nuclear expert warns of disaster

BEIRUT, Lebanon, July 25 (UPI) -- Israeli nuclear expert Mordechai Vanunu reportedly warned Sunday an Israeli nuclear reactor is leaking radiation that threatens Arab neighbors.

The London-based al-Hayat daily, which also prints in the Beirut, quoted Vanunu as describing the Israeli Dimona nuclear facility in Israel, which he said was 50 years old, as a "second Chernobyl."

He was referring to a Russian nuclear disaster in Chernobyl during the early 1980's.

Vanunu urged Jordan, which shares the longest border with Israel, to conduct medical examinations of its citizens living near the border to see the extent of radiation.

He also urged the kingdom, which signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1994, to distribute the necessary medication to the residents, just as Israel did with its residents who live near the Dimona nuclear reactor.

Vanunu, who was released earlier this year from an Israeli prison after serving 19 years for leaking information to the press about Israel's nuclear capabilities, said the radiation can be harmful only when the winds blow toward Jordan.

United Press International.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 892 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Thok

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:39 am
see below
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 05:54 am
erk.....
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:01 am
whaddyathink?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:14 am
about??????

no offense thok, but i can't make heads nor tails of your first post.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 06:28 am
well, sorry , that was my own slang....

So, summary of the post: It is in all probability that there will be a second chernobyl , if they work not better for the security and in addition they should call the IAEA....
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:12 am
I'm a little confused. Has this situation been going on for the past 19 years, or is it more recent? Since Mr. Vanunu has been in prison for the past 19 years, he probably isn't too current with Israel's nuclear power facilities.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:16 am
Jim wrote:
I'm a little confused. Has this situation been going on for the past 19 years, or is it more recent? Since Mr. Vanunu has been in prison for the past 19 years, he probably isn't too current with Israel's nuclear power facilities.
Doh! I was about to say this :-) .

Another one - who appointed him an expert. He worked there as a junior technician or something.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:03 am
Would you think he is angry about his 18 years of imprisonment? Question
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
au1929 wrote:
Would you think he is angry about his 18 years of imprisonment? Question
Absolutely. And hungry for media attention.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
But is it true that Israel itself "distribute[d] the necessary medication to the residents [..] who live near the Dimona nuclear reactor"? That should be an easy enough assertion to doublecheck ...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:48 am
Nimh
Quote:
But is it true that Israel itself "distribute[d] the necessary medication to the residents [..] who live near the Dimona nuclear reactor"? That should be an easy enough assertion to doublecheck ...

I would also add if they did was it for immediate use or for use in the event of an accident.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
Good point, au. According to this article and an item on this page, Israel is planning to distribute anti-radiation pills to residents near Dimona and other nuclear reactors - for use in emergencies, "in case of a nuclear accident or an attack on one of the reactors", not for use now.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
i thought that was strange too, but i just threw out the article to see what other a2ker's more in tune with what's happening internationally think.

i wonder what secrets vanunu leaked to get a 19 year imprisonment. he either believes in what he says or a glutton for punishment, because it seems he may be headed back to a cell with this new allegation.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:16 pm
AFAIK the pills are distributed already. So are gas masks (to ALL Israelis).

However, I'm not sure what it says about the quality control on the nuclear plant.

pueo - Vanunu pinpointed the location where nuclear missiles are produced (if they exist at all, of course). Kinda makes sense, doesn't it?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:41 pm
thanks galilite. it makes sense to me, can't be running around telling state secrets without expecting some repurcussions.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:57 pm
You're welcome :-) .

A side question - not that I'm complaining, but are Maariv and Haaretz THAT popular in Guam Wink ?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:18 am
nope Laughing , just like to peruse the internet for interesting news items....
0 Replies