hawkeye10

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:34 pm
@coldjoint,
Dont announce "pivots to Asia" unless you intend to do something along those lines

Dont announce that you are going to run the most transparent administration in history and then pull huge amounts of the decision making into the White House that has always been done out in the agencies, and then personally with two handfuls of trusted advisors do all the deciding in meetings behind closed doors where no notes are taken.

Likewise dont promise to run an inclusive administration and then concentrate the most power in hands of the fewest people seen in our lifetimes.

And so on and so on
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 05:49 pm
Quote:
In fact, it appears that the Kremlin is learning the same lesson the U.S. took away from its involvement in the Middle East. Air power alone won’t tip the balance in a ground war.

The analysis published by the Institute for the Study of War claims a Syrian offensive launched under the cover of Russian air and artillery support last week has succeeded only in capturing a handful of villages. The ground forces, comprised of units from the Syrian Army and Iranian and Lebanese fighters, have paid a considerable cost to do so, according to multiple media reports.

ISW tends to be somewhat hawkish in its support of U.S. military involvement overseas and critical of Russian adventurism. However, the report offers a broad-based assessment based on a range of international sources.

“The Syrian regime has not gained much terrain in the first week of its large-scale ground offensive against rebel forces, despite support from intensified Russian airstrikes and hundreds of Iranian proxy reinforcements,” wrote analyst Chris Kozak. “Operations against the Syrian opposition will likely prove harder and slower than anticipated by either Russia or Iran, protracting the conflict and exacerbating extremism.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/putin-learning-hard-lesson-syria-103000146.html

I am sceptical. What we have seen of the Russian military over the last few years is them acting professional and methodical. SOP is to bomb for weeks to soften up the resistance before trying to take ground. I have no reason to think that this is not what Russia/Iran are doing right now. I am also noting reports of brutal bombing by the Russians, for instance leveling the bakery of a town that has been consistently a problem for Assad, and the use of weapons that are designed more for terrifying the population than destroying military assets. This is a duplication of some of the methods that Putin used successfully in Chechnya.
coldjoint

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 06:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am also noting reports of brutal bombing by the Russians, for instance leveling the bakery of a town that has been consistently a problem for Assad, and the use of weapons that are designed more for terrifying the population than destroying military assets.

There is no doubt Russia is in it to win it.
hawkeye10

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 07:09 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
I am also noting reports of brutal bombing by the Russians, for instance leveling the bakery of a town that has been consistently a problem for Assad, and the use of weapons that are designed more for terrifying the population than destroying military assets.

There is no doubt Russia is in it to win it.

Ya, but almost no one in the West thought that Putin had the military capacity to even attempt to move into Syria, then they moved in under the nose of Western intel without notice even though amatuer watchers were saying at least 4 months before that something was up, and now the Western Elite are all over the media saying that there is no way that the Putin plan can work, that he will regret trying. Maybe, but so far as Syria goes the Western elite have a solid record of being both incompetent and wrong, so I will believe it when I see it.
coldjoint

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Maybe, but so far as Syria goes the Western elite have a solid record of being both incompetent and wrong, so I will believe it when I see it.

Appeasement is what the West has done.
hawkeye10

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 10:20 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Maybe, but so far as Syria goes the Western elite have a solid record of being both incompetent and wrong, so I will believe it when I see it.

Appeasement is what the West has done.

No, Obama thought that he had a plan for the CIA to nurture forces sympathetic to us in Syria, Guilt Iraq into doing what we say, nurture the Kurds, Keep Turkey from ******* it up, and wait for ISIS to prove that they are the JV team.

It did not work.
0 Replies