God versus Saddam

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:00 pm
Saddam's brutalities and subjugation of his people earn him membership in the "evil" club to many people.

Thing is, when I compare brutal genocide and subjugation I think the Biblical god far outdoes Saddam.

Think of the flood, killing all mankind and animals with the exception of a boatload (and probably the fish, I do not think they took aquariums).

Think Soddom, killing all men women and children in the city.

Think making his chosen people wander in the desert for the exclusive purpose of the entire generation dying off so they can't get into the promised land.

Heck, the Bible claims he has more in store.

And my curiosity is whether you think these acts morally justified.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,141 • Replies: 19
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:06 pm
Job: (paraphrasing) How can I criticise thee, God. I am like a worm before thee. Please don't hurt me no more.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:24 pm
Re: God versus Saddam
[quote="Craven de Kere" Think of the flood, killing all mankind and animals with the exception of a boatload (and probably the fish, I do not think they took aquariums).[/quote]

This brings up a question I raised many years ago in sunday school and got no reasonable answer. Why in the deluge were all the fish spared but not say aardvarks? What possibly could aardvarks have done to deserve such a fate when compared to fishes?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:56 pm
Acquiunk! My sisters and I got in trouble at Sunday School for asking such questions! Particularly my oldest sister, who was turned off religion forever on the very day when she found that newborn babies were presumed sinful unless baptized. Yeah, that God is one mean mothercheney! I don't mess with him, but I don't follow him either.
Do I think these acts are morally justified? Well, aren't all morals supposedly based on Godly notions? Anything that's okay by God is moral... but wait... how can that be?
God is immoral!? Oh my God, I can't believe it!
Interesting question Craven.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
I learned very early that Methodists, at least the ones I was brought up with, have no sense of humor or curiosity.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:19 pm
Heehee - there is a book analysing god - (as in psychoanalysis) - somewhere - which diagnoses her - she just ain't well.

There is also some analysis somewhere which looks at her as having been a wee baby when it all began - with a baby's and then toddler's rages - and as having gradually grown up.

As for Saddam vs god - unfair playing ground - I think if Saddam had had the same power, plus whatever time the bible folk think there has been since creation, he might have ended up on a par with the god of the bible - but he just hasn't had the time.

I don't think Saddam would have had it in for fig trees, though.

And - is there evidence of cruelty to animals? Mind you, your sociopaths usually DO have a history of animal cruelty....
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:27 pm
i've always liked this:

Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; Or he can, but does not want to; Or he cannot and does not want to. If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. But, if God both can and wants to abolish evil, then how come evil is in the world?
-- Epicurus (attributed: source unknown)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:01 pm
There woud be a judgment.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:57 am
Granted, the Old Testament God was a real scumbag and he used his omnipotent powers to piss people off. However, the New Testament God is nicer and cheerier. I suspect the old God was either overthrown or voted out of office a couple thousand years ago whgen the new God took over. Also, notice the new God doesn't talk to us, except for George Bush but I don't think that's God...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:27 am
I agree with Craven.

That Yahweh can be a real SOB...

(He is what He is; He said so Himself...)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:36 am
Eli, Eli, lama azaftani. Even Jesus felt forsaken by God. As for Saddam, there will always be tyrants and despots.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:57 am
PDiddie wrote:
I agree with Craven.

That Yahweh can be a real SOB...

(He is what He is; He said so Himself...)

I yam what I yam?

Somehow that doesn't seem so very.........er.......godly....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Could the paraclete be..........................

spinach?

Surely not....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
If Popeye is God, then Bluto must be the Devil. But who is Olive Oyl?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:19 am
Olive Oyl is the "virgin" Mary. You will note that Popeye and Bluto both courted Olive but neither of them ever made it with her. SweetPea is of unknown parentage and could be the result of a virgin birth!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:32 am
That would be virgin Olive Oyl which according to the label on the bottle in my cupboard is 100 precent.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:00 pm
Interesting bit of news:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&e=5&u=/ap/20040726/ap_on_re_mi_ea/britain_saddam
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:43 pm
NickFun wrote:
However, the New Testament God is nicer and cheerier.

Have you read Revelations?
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 12:18 pm
Read about it but haven't had any! Know where I can get some!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
Craven the avater I am looking at of you is a stick figure setting himself on fire.
0 Replies