The Effectiveness of Debate

najmelliw

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 05:39 pm
I dig debating. Perhaps I should go into politics... Plenty of debaters there... Some may even be arguing for a cause they believe in!

JL, to each his own I guess. But I see you do participate in this particular thread.. whcih happens to be part of the philosophy and debate forum.

Naj
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 05:44 pm
Craven Smile
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:20 pm
najmelliw, yes there are many debaters in politics, very many. At times you could swear the parties involved were not politicians but actually mass-debaters.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 08:53 pm
Actually, politics isn't very much about debate at all. It is about compromise and coalition building. It is about knowing what to say, when to say it and when to remain silent. Logic is almost always trumped by emotion. It is popular to claim to have policies that are better, more ethical, and "good" for the country, but a good politician won't ever be very specific on hot issues that he might later have to compromise on. Politicians have a great need to be loved and approved of by great crowds of people, being good at debate is seldom the road to political success.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 09:20 pm
You totally missed the pun, hun.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:05 pm
Fortune

Had you hyphenated, that is, stretched 2 words into one, it's meaning would have been more... straight forward!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:11 pm
Weeeell, I don't like to make it too easy for 'em, but okay, I shall edit for the greater good of literature.
0 Replies