How Did You Learn The Bible?

Squeakybro

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 03:24 pm
@neologist,
yes, the bible is not in error, we are.
neologist

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 03:31 pm
@Squeakybro,
I was asking of the King James Version. Other versions have differing texts. Is the KJV the authority in such cases?
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 04:40 pm
@neologist,
What is with the interrogation ? Have you got some kind or ulterior motive for these questions? Is there any guile in your questions?

1 Pet 2:1-3

1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all guile, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking,
2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 07:44 pm
@Squeakybro,
All I am trying to learn is if you ever consider other translations and, if so, which ones.
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 07:47 pm
@neologist,
I read some and the Holy Spirit always stopped me.

Heb 13:9
9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 08:16 pm
@neologist,
King James Version is what you should use. Other ones have been altered and made to give people the wrong idea about things.
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2015 08:31 pm
@Johnjohnjohn,
I started on the KJV and went to the NKJV now. But there are parts in the KJV I still like.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 01:12 am
@Johnjohnjohn,
Johnjohnjohn wrote:
King James Version is what you should use. Other ones have been altered and made to give people the wrong idea about things.
Really?
How do you explain the unknown tongue in 1 Corinthians 14: 2,4?
This spurious expression is precisely what I have been referring to when I say one must use caution when attempting to find meaning in the scriptures.
You might find yourself believing in such things as the trinity and the rapture and the immortal soul.
You wouldn't want that, would you?
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 03:02 am
@neologist,
Now what do you have against the immortal soul?
neologist

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 02:36 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
Now what do you have against the immortal soul?
Nothing.
It's the teaching of an immortal soul that I find offensive. As if God would not be capable of ending a life he began.

But my main reason for the post was to get your explanation for how the word unknown found its way into the text at 1 Corinthians 14.

jjj is welcome to answer here alsso, since he believes the KJV to be infallible.

Squeakybro

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 04:07 pm
@neologist,
What do you think the soul is?
neologist

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 06:14 pm
@Squeakybro,
We do not have souls. We are souls.

Now, please explain the unknown tongue.
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 06:23 pm
@neologist,
Your wrong.
FIND THE INNER MAN-CRUSIFY THE OUTER PERSON
(SPIRIT, MIND OF INNER MAN. SOUL, BODY OF INNER MAN)

Col 3:9-10
9 Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds,
10 and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him,
1 Pet 4:19
19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
Matt 22:16
16 And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that You are true, and teach the way of God in truth; nor do You care about anyone, for You do not regard the person of men.
Rom 7:22
22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
Gal 5:24-25
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
John 6:63
63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
John 4:48
48 Then Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."
Matt 12:38-39
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."
39 But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
1 Tim 4:9-11
9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance.
10 For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.
11 These things command and teach.
1 Tim 4:13-16
13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.
15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.
16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.
1 Pet 4:19
19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.
Eph 3:14-19
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height--
19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
2 Cor 4:16-18
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
Eph 4:21-24
21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,
23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind,
24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
1 Pet 2:4-5
4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,
5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Pet 2:11-12
11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,
12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.
(NKJ)
xxxx Your inner man consists of your spirit(the mind of your inner man) and your soul(the body of your inner man). All affections come from your soul and all decisions come from your spirit. Not all ideas but all decisions. All ideas come from the different beings in you. You get one opinion from your guardian angel. And you get one opinion from the devil. Then you choose who to agree with. But if you have the Holy Spirit He will give you a verse to show you who is who.
All your emotions dwell in your outer person (body). All emotions are unclean spirits.

Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(NKJ)

Heb 10:38-39
38 Now the just shall live by faith; but if anyone draws back, my soul has no pleasure in him."
39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
(NKJ)

Gal 5:17
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
(NKJ)

1 Pet 1:3-9
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,
7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
8 whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 receiving the end of your faith-- the salvation of your souls.
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 07:30 pm
@Squeakybro,
Quote:
7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7, KJV)Emphasis added
You may be interested in this from the Darby Translation:
Quote:
Genesis 1:21 (DBY) And God created the great sea monsters, and every living soul that moves with which the waters swarm, after their kind, and every winged fowl after its kind. And God saw that it was good. Emphasis added.
You see; even animals are souls.
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 08:32 pm
@neologist,
Your going to throw two verses from the old testament at me, to try to discredit one of the revelations of Jesus Christ in the new testament...
The new testament scriptures are point blank. If you don't abide (live) in the new testament you DONT HAVE GOD.

II Jn 1:7-11
7 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.
9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him;
11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 12:00 am
@Squeakybro,
I'll let this go for now if you will please address the questiion of the unknown tongue.
Squeakybro

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 07:00 am
@neologist,
CARRYING TONGUES TO FAR
Rom 3:13
13 "Their throat is an open tomb; with their tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps is under their lips";
1 Cor 12:28-31
28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
1 Cor 13:1
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
1 Cor 13:8-11
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Cor 14:1-3
1 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.
1 Cor 14:5
5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
1 Cor 14:6-13
6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you unless I speak to you either by revelation, by knowledge, by prophesying, or by teaching?
7 Even things without life, whether flute or harp, when they make a sound, unless they make a distinction in the sounds, how will it be known what is piped or played?
8 For if the trumpet makes an uncertain sound, who will prepare himself for battle?
9 So likewise you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.
10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of languages in the world, and none of them is without significance.
11 Therefore, if I do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me.
12 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel.
13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
1 Cor 14:14-24
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say?
17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.
18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;
19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.
21 In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; and yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord.

22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all.
1 Cor 14:27-28
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.
28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
(NKJ)

xxx Tongues are a sign not to believers, but to unbelievers. That they have received the Holy Spirit. But it is limited to their walk in the milk understanding. If they want to go into the meat understanding the tongues will cease. Now it is true some will abide in the milk understanding their whole lives. They will become lukewarm. While one is in the milk understanding they will still be enfluenced by their emotions(unclean spirits). But that is why we all need to go into the meat understanding to purge out the wrong beliefs, and all our emotions. If we dont do this we will never come to the revelations of Jesus Christ. Which is being born again. Tongues are a sign for unbelievers, not believers. Believers receive one of eight of the other gifts. To get them through the milk. But all must walk after the verses from the Holy Spirit to purge their minds and bodies in the meat.

1 Cor 13:8-12
8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
(NKJ)
neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 10:03 am
@Squeakybro,
You still have not explained the appearance of the word "unknown".
Squeakybro

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 11:09 am
@neologist,
I avoid foolish questions.

Rom 16:17
17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.
(NKJ)

2 Tim 2:23-24
23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.
24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient,
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 02:28 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
I avoid foolish questions. . .
The question of why the KJV translators included a word which did not appear in any original texts is hardly foolish. Their use of italics notwithstanding, it has been a source of false understanding and wrong practices for 4 centuries.

I asked the question so both you and jjj would stop to examine the textual integrity of whatever translations you might use. God inspired the original writings. The basic texts are inerrant. Though King James commissioned the translation done in his name, his "authorization" is hardly a guarantee of complete accuracy.