How Did You Learn The Bible?

evobulgarevo

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 11:58 am
@Squeakybro,
I bought a Bible, King James version of it. I struggled with the old English, and would take me quite a while to finish a single page. Then I got the NIV Bible, written in contemporary English.. it was a whole lot easier to read.

But then, I came across the New Testament written in an even more conversational tone.. and that was a whole lot easier to read and understand. And so I read it. Several times. It was common sense more or less. And I realized that it's all about personal betterment, self discipline, and courage.
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 12:07 pm
@evobulgarevo,
I am totally against the NIV. They left to many important verses out. I use the NKJV.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 03:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . .You interpret a line in a Greek book of the Bible and base your conclusion that the Hebrew texts don't contradict the Greek texts on that interpretation and then take your conclusion as a given. . .
Wow! 7 thumbs on an assertion for which you have not supplied proof.

I didn't know there were that many who were reading this thread
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 03:02 pm
@evobulgarevo,
evobulgarevo wrote:
. . I realized that it's all about personal betterment, self discipline, and courage.
What about the subjects mentioned in what we refer to as the "Lord's Prayer"?
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 04:35 pm
@neologist,
The NIV leaves this verse out of the bible.

Matt 17:21
21 "However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 06:39 pm
@Squeakybro,
That is because the manuscripts avaiable to the KJV translators contained several verses added in error. The omission of verse numbers was done to aviod confusion that might be caused by re numbering. Also, it allows quick identification of redacted texts.
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 07:13 pm
@neologist,
It makes no difference why. If they did it, that is wrong.

Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 08:03 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
It makes no difference why. If they did it, that is wrong.

Rev 22:18-19
18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
(NKJ)
What are you referring to as wromg?
The spurious additions to the manuscripts that were included in the KJV?
Or the corrections made by later translators?

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 08:45 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
. . .You interpret a line in a Greek book of the Bible and base your conclusion that the Hebrew texts don't contradict the Greek texts on that interpretation and then take your conclusion as a given. . .
Wow! 7 thumbs on an assertion for which you have not supplied proof.

You wrote that the Greek scripures do not conflict with the Hebrew. You begged the question seeing as how there are arguments to the contrary.

You then wrote that if that were true, 2 Timothy 3:16 could not apply. You begged the question seeing as how you are using a text from a scripture in question to validate your initial assumption. This is also an example of circular reasoning.

You went further to write that our goal is to understand how and why the texts the texts agree. You begged the question seeing as how you assert that it is our goal to understand your initial assumptions.

You conclude by begging the question that your assumptions are discernible by some true spirit friend.
Squeakybro

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 09:08 pm
@neologist,
God is revealing things that have been kept secret sense the world began. in the revelations of Jesus Christ. So we have evidence that God would add things later that have been kept secret.

Rom 16:25
25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began
(NKJ)

Eph 1:4-5
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
(NKJ)

neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 10:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
Clean your glasses.
InfraBlue wrote:
You wrote that the Greek scripures do not conflict with the Hebrew. You begged the question seeing as how there are arguments to the contrary.
Explain to everyone here how my assertion is begging the question, since it is offered neither as evidence nor as proof.
InfraBlue wrote:
You then wrote that if that were true, 2 Timothy 3:16 could not apply. You begged the question seeing as how you are using a text from a scripture in question to validate your initial assumption. This is also an example of circular reasoning.
The text also was not offered either as evidence or as proof. It simply stares that if my prior assertion is false, then no part of the bible may be relied on.
InfraBlue wrote:
You went further to write that our goal is to understand how and why the texts the texts [sic] agree. You begged the question seeing as how you assert that it is our goal to understand your initial assumptions. (Emphasis added.)
My initial assumptions, (assertions, propositions) are either proved or falsified. If proved, I would assume them to be understood.
InfraBlue wrote:
You conclude by begging the question that your assumptions are discernible by some true spirit friend.
Thank you for providing examples of petitio principii.
Good work!
neologist

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 10:20 pm
@Squeakybro,
Squeakybro wrote:
God is revealing things that have been kept secret sense the world began. in the revelations of Jesus Christ. So we have evidence that God would add things later that have been kept secret. . .
So, what has your 'spirit' told you about the spurious verses in the KJV?
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 06:10 am
@neologist,
The only real truth is quoted. Everything else is theology.

John 17:17-19
17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
18 "As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.
19 "And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
(NKJ)

John 14:26
26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
(NKJ)

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:39 pm
@neologist,
The very basic meaning of petitio principii is "to assume to be true without warrant."

That's how your post began, and you proceeded to base the rest of your post on that petitio principii leading to your more formal petitio principii fallacies which I've already pointed out.

You're being disingenuous about your cite of 2 Timothy 3:16. You use that passage, at once, to validate your assertion and to provide validation thereof.

You're being disingenuous about what you claim to be "our goal," as well, seeing as how you don't question your initial assertion. For you, it validates and is validated in and of itself as per your spirit friend.

Clear your brain.
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 12:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
I don't know what you just said. But if you can get through to him go for it. He plays lots of word games.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 06:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
Never too late to obfuscate, Blue.
2 Timothy 3:16 is, in itself, an assertion using the word all which, if shown to be false, invalidates all scripture.

While it may not be proved with epistemilogical certainty, it can be evaluated by subjecting examples of apparent contradiction to etymological or historical scrutiny. This you (and Squeaky) have been loath to do.

You may believe I offer it as an axiom. That is your petito principii.

Squeakybro

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 06:56 pm
@neologist,
ALL ALLMOST NEVER MEANS ALL (IN THE CARNAL SENSE)
Matt 5:14-16
14 "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 "Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matt 6:33-34
33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
34 "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
John 5:36
36 "But I have a greater witness than John's; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish-- the very works that I do-- bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me.
John 6:39
39 "This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
John 18:11
11 Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?"
Heb 2:13
13 And again: "I will put My trust in Him." And again: "Here am I and the children whom God has given Me."
John 6:44-48
44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 "It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.
46 "Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.
47 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
48 "I am the bread of life.
John 6:65-69
65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away?"
68 But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
69 "Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
John 17:1-2
1 Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,
2 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.
John 17:6-7
6 "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.
7 "Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You.
John 17:10-12
10 "And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them.
11 "Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.
12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
(NKJ)

XXX All is a figure of speech. We can see that to Jesus all was all those that God had given Him. Which is all those who become Christians and are born again. All those that follow Jesus' example.

Mark 10:45
45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
John 17:12
12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
John 13:1
1 Now before the feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.
1Thes 3:11-13
11 Now may our God and Father Himself, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way to you.
12 And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love to one another and to all, just as we do to you,
13 so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints.
Acts 2:39
39 "For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."
John 6:37-40
37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
39 "This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
40 "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."
(NKJ)
neologist

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 07:55 pm
@Squeakybro,
Are you saying that when Paul spoke of "all scripture" he was just using a figure of speech?

You and Blue make quite a pair Laughing
Squeakybro

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 09:18 pm
@neologist,
The word scriptures doesn't even show up in the old testament. And the word scripture only shows up in one verse that is speaking in the future. The new testament is scripture.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2015 10:31 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Never too late to obfuscate, Blue.
2 Timothy 3:16 is, in itself, an assertion using the word all which, if shown to be false, invalidates all scripture.

While it may not be proved with epistemilogical certainty, it can be evaluated by subjecting examples of apparent contradiction to etymological or historical scrutiny. This you (and Squeaky) have been loath to do.

You may believe I offer it as an axiom. That is your petito principii.

You're not aware of what you're doing in these posts of yours.

Faith is muddling your thinking abilities.
0 Replies