Best State in America to be a Teacher?

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:41 am
Does anyone have any stats for this? Maybe states with the fewest budget emergencies? States with the least amount of mismanagement of funds? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,234 • Replies: 10
No top replies

emmasing

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
In the same vein, what states are actually hiring with good $? My degree/ certificate will be in Early Childhood (Pre-K- 3rd).
0 Replies

silversturm

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:07 pm
I don't have any figures but I heard something about New Mexico paying pretty well. I also heard the cost of living there is lower than average. Again, this is just word of mouth and it could be inaccurate. But it might be worth it to at least check it out.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:20 am
I am a permanently assigned substitute teacher at the Arlington (MA) High SChool, which is ranked #29 of the 151 schools considered to be in eastern MA by "Boston Magazine." Our SAT scores are above the state median which exceeds the national average. Arlington is continguous with Cambridge. The cost of domecile here is outrageous, but that does not stop prospective homebuyers from bidding up the price of homes in the most desireable elementary school districts.

Next year, the school population will grow by 12% to 4,768 students in one high school, one middle school, and five elementary schools. The school system is seeking a tax override to help pay for the 10 new teachers, more text books and to keep music, art, drama and athletics intact. On my way to work today, passing through the neighborhood just north of the high school, I saw three signs asking citizens to vote against the override.

We are in the midst of MCAS, the MA academic achievement tests. Under NCLB, schools are expected to improve annually or lose their funding. Since the neo-conservatives do not simply disapprove of abortion, but of birth control (witness what is happening in regard to fulfilling prescriptions for The Pill) and think there is no problem with human over-population on the planet, haven't they worked out that more kids mean more money spent on education just to tread water?

I wrote that this town is adjacent Cambridge. A decade ago, the neo-cons ran a successful campaign to urge voters to overthrow rent control in Cambridge, Boston and Brookline. The pressure created by people exiting from those towns, forced the price of real estate up in communities like Arlington. While this may be due to the law of unintended consequences, let's put together higher prices for real estate-more kids-the demand for better schools.

Finally, conservatives love to say that teachers tend to be liberals, so maybe cutting taxes is a way to get those liberals out of the work force, but would the neo-cons like the general public to vote them out of a job?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:21 am
BTW, I understand that teachers and nurses in San Francisco can not afford to buy homes because they aren't paid enough.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 06:35 pm
bleibalien: it seems like most of the states where teachers enjoy the best pay and most political clout have been hard-hit economically these last five or six years. I'm originally from Michigan which was ranked the third best state in which to be a teacher by the NEA some years ago, but it's extremely difficult to get a job there (a lot of districts had to cut back, and you've pretty much have to wait for a teacher to die in order to get a position).

emmasing: The Clark County School District in Southern Nevada (includes the Las Vegas Area) hires between 1k and 2k teachers every year. If worse comes to worse, you can probably get a job out here (there are a few teaching majors that aren't in demand--social studies and p.e. among them). The pay is about average for the first five to seven years, then it drops below average. There isn't, however, any state income tax and teachers don't pay into social security here. You can find CCSD's website easily enough on Google or just let me know if you want the address.

plainoldme: the high school I teach at alone is expected to top 3,000 next year (needless to say, they've ordered more portables). There's over 40 high schools in the district.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
No facts at had but you might try Eastern Washington (Spokane)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
Some friends (married couple, both high school teachers) left Washington because the pay was abysmal. They went to New Jersey, which has a high cost of living but where their schools are well-supported and teachers very well-paid.

(And almost nobody can afford to buy a home in San Francisco any more...)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
I received my teaching certificate last month and am now looking for work. I'm certain my age will work against me.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:15 am
Is there a good state in which to be anything? With business being consolidated to the point of choice in the market being erased; with the environment deteriorating; with the economy stuck in the doldrums, where would one go?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 12:49 pm
Pennsylvania pays well. If you can get in. They are very hot in politics for hiring. and, if you want to teach at the secondary level your major better be coaching with a minor in suck ass and a sub minor in your subject that you want to teach. Also Pa requires the highest scores for teacher exams.
0 Replies