How to make disciples of others?

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 02:46 pm
What are the most effective ways to make disciples of others? The last words Christ spoke encouraged us to make disciples, to bring his word to the world. How can we do a better job of this? Thank you, JDA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Squeakybro

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:07 pm
@janderso,
Be An Example-You Are An Example, But Of What?
1 Tim 4:12-13
12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
II Th 3:7-9
7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you;
8 nor did we eat anyone's bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you,
9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.
Phil 3:17-20
17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.
18 For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame-- who set their mind on earthly things.
20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
John 13:15-17
15 "For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
16 "Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
17 "If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
1 Cor 11:1-3
1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.
3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.
1 Pet 2:21-22
21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
22 "Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth";
1 Cor 10:1-6
1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea,
2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,
3 all ate the same spiritual food,
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
5 But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness.
6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted.
1 Pet 5:2-6
2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly;
3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock;
4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.
5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,
1 Cor 10:6-12
6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted.
7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, "The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play."
8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell;
9 nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents;
10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come.
12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
1Thes 1:6-7
6 And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit,
7 so that you became examples to all in Macedonia and Achaia who believe.
(NKJ)
XXX You are an example of someone in scripture. All you have to do is read and see who you are. And who you are imitating. Are you a Pharisee who tries to stop everyone else who knows more than you? Are you a Sadducees, none believers? Are you a scribe full of things to say and you have no substance to what you write? Are you a child of satan? Deceived by the devil? Are you an idiot, one who thinks they know God but without the Holy Spirit?

3 Jn 1:11
11 Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. He who does good is of God, but he who does evil has not seen God.
(NKJ)

2 Pet 2:1-3
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.
(NKJ)
Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:16 pm
@janderso,
The best way is not to try at all! Bottom line is that the best way is to not to attempt it online..much less this forum.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:31 pm
@janderso,
good luck with all that. Most people who desire "disciples" hqve some angle of self aggrandizement or profit seeking from their posse.

See what the Ragman said. He speaks much sooth.
0 Replies

janderso

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 08:19 pm
@Squeakybro,
Wow! So many good examples from scripture! To be like Christ is a tall order, but very rewarding with many great promises from a perfect good God. Thanks a lot for your contribution, JDA
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 12:44 am
@janderso,
First, you should acquire accurate knowledge for yourself. Otherwise, you could not impart it to others.
Quote:
This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.(John 17:3)
Then, find a congregation which stringently follows this counsel:
Quote:
I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves. (John 17:34,35)
Not necessarily in that order.
The congregation will already be following Jesus' commands to make disciples. You should be able to take a lead from them.
0 Replies