Here's Where You'll Find the Absurd Stuff

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 11:31 pm
Here's where I will be posting all of the absurd, surreal, ridiculous stuff I witness as a public high school teacher in southern California. So today in my summer school class a boy approached my desk with a very concerned look on his face while pointing to his forearm. Me: "What's wrong?" , student: Mr. O I have two mosquito bites on my arm. Me: "You'll live", student: "Do you have anything for it, it itches?". Me: "Why don't you go across the street to Albertson's and buy some Caladryl lotion", student: blank look.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,339 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 01:11 am
LOL!

Welcome to A2K bleibalien :-D
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:37 am
Welcome Bleibalien, if you ask us nicely, we will take you to our leader...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:55 am
You say this is a high school kid? I suspect I have determined the reason for this boy being in summer school...
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:23 am
Welcome - I am a high school teacher in NH.

Talk about absurd - the past few month have opened my eyes even wider: My school had a student (senior) who was repeatedly defecating on the boys' room floor (anger issues). When he was finally caught, his punishment was to be kicked out of school and given a private tutor to make sure he was graduated. (We have special ed to thank for that, BTW.)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:31 am
So, the way to get out of school and get a private tutor is by being a total scum bag? Aren't you just giving the kid what he wants?
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:35 am
Trust me, that's not what I would give him.

Catherine Crier's "The Case Against Lawyers" (Ch. 3) looks specifically at the world of education and why it's sooo bad (generalization - there are some wonderful moments, but in the big picture....). As long as the experts are in charge, it won't get better.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:40 am
Hi, Bleibalien and Bermbits. Just stopping in to say "THANK YOU for teaching our little hellians!"

(No, that wasn't one of mine that pooped on the floor)
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 07:43 am
SQUINNEY!!! Rock on!
0 Replies