Man bred cockroaches as pets

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:56 am
Of course, this classifies under 'cultural differences' :wink:
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:59 am
Uhm, now that clarifies the questions what happened to those dogs that i saw once before our Chinese snack booth and that were all gone on the next day.
You know, i'm so glad now i'm vegetarian.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:01 am
Besides the fact I don't want to be a vegetarian, and just can't. I can't live the rest of my life without meat - it would kill me! But, that's my opinion (and I think it's very brave of you Maggie5554515 that you are a vegetarian).
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
Nah, just having some health problems when eating meat. The only meat i can cope with is Meat Loaf.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:17 am
Galilite wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Galilite wrote:
Also, if he's from a southern province like Guangdong, he might use them as snacks as well...

Mr. Green I know what you are talking about. I once read something about the Guangdong cuisine. Tasty.

Something else nobody mentioned yet: is it legal to kill somebody's pets?

In England, it is not criminal to kill someone's pet, but it is a civil tort that can result in having to pay compensation, (but very rarely.)

A while back -- a hundred years ago, or so-- the Death penalty was imposed on a wasp hive whose members allegedly stung a man to death.

As for dogs, cats, etc, I wouldn't eat them, because I would be thinking of ticks and worms, as well as puppy-eyes. I once ate kangaroo, though; it was lovely.

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:58 am
Maggie5554515 wrote:
Nah, just having some health problems when eating meat. The only meat I can cope with is Meat Loaf.

Oh... there goes my romantic view on vegetarians :wink:
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:59 am
Quote:
A while back -- a hundred years ago, or so-- the Death penalty was imposed on a wasp hive whose members allegedly stung a man to death.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but is this just a nice way to say that they poured boiling water on the wasp nest, because they stung the man to death?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:01 am
No; the case was decided in a Crown Court; lawyers had to disprove the wasps' onus, and failed to do so, so the nest was smoked. It wasn't a matter of villagers pouring boiling water; both the family of the deceased and the bees had lawyers. The trial lasted a few days.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:41 am
I've had kangaroo too. It was quite tasty. I will try almost anything, but not anything I could classify as a pet or insects.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 02:56 am
Linkat wrote:
I’ve had kangaroo too. It was quite tasty. I will try almost anything, but not anything I could classify as a pet or insects.
Out of curiosity, a question to kangaroo eaters - what does it taste like?

Don't tell it's "like chicken". For some reason, whenever an exotic meat is involved - scorpions, crocodiles, extraterrastrial reptile in Stargate, it always tastes like chicken Wink .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:51 am
Ha Ha - I was going to say chicken as a joke. It was more of a red meat taste than chicken actually. It was seasoned well so perhaps just grilling with no seasoning it may taste nasty. I can't really describe it other than it was not as gamey taste as venison, closest is some sort of beef - maybe a little lighter.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 09:52 pm
its always goot to see a topic i posted turn into a conversation instead of an arguement.. Very Happy
i find it cool that these diverse news stories can inspire such diverse conversations as these Very Happy
in my life ive neve eaten anything exotic only normal meats and fish and the odd bit of shellfish Smile
ive swallowed a few flies and mosquitoes in my time Confused
once as i woke up and sat up in bed, while i was in the greek islands, a mosquito flew straight down my throat Shocked what an experience to wake up to Shocked ..as you see i havent forgotten it Wink
at the moment im mostly vegetarian but im not strict in anyway and now and again i give in and eat some meat Shocked
i went to argentina from january to april this year and i managed to survive a month there vegetarian but after that i couldnt take it anymore and i started eating meat..
i must say for you meat eaters out there that argentinian beef is probably the tastiest on the planet Wink
i only had chicken twice in the form of bruschettas(kebabs) but it was very tasty too i sampled a bit of fish as well.. Smile
however since i got back to england i havent eaten any meat but ive had fish and chips a couple of times Smile
to be honest im into spiritual things and i dont think eating meat is a good thing as i believe it brings out the animal or bad side of people and with all the diseases here in meat and the pollution in the sea im happy to be mostly vegetarian Very Happy
ive no disire to eat any meat that i havent eaten. especially kangaroo cat dog horse scorpion ant or anything else for that matter and i definately dont want any frogs legs or snails or cockroaches Smile
and finally i believe that we can program ourselves to like or dislike anything Wink

peace and love Very Happy
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:56 am
Col Man wrote:
to be honest im into spiritual things and i dont think eating meat is a good thing as i believe it brings out the animal or bad side of people and with all the diseases here in meat and the pollution in the sea im happy to be mostly vegetarian Very Happy
This is true. But becoming a vegetarian is not only a psychological thing. Meat and fish contain B[size=8]12[/size] vitamin which I believe can be found only there (probably in some dairy products - especially Rochford cheese - as well, but in smaller proportions). Sometimes people trying to become vegetarians start to feel weak after 3 months or so; my brother tried that and gave up.
Col Man wrote:
ive no disire to eat any meat that i havent eaten. especially kangaroo cat dog horse scorpion ant or anything else for that matter and i definately dont want any frogs legs or snails or cockroaches Smile
and finally i believe that we can program ourselves to like or dislike anything Wink
Not always! Speaking about that Guangdong province again, despite the super-wide assortment of food, they don't drink milk and don't eat cheese or butter. It turns out that most Asians can't digest lactose.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:09 am
ok Smile yeah i tried the vegan thing once and i had to pack it in due to feeling ill
i think as a vegetarian/vegan you need to know whats in what you eat so you get the right balance of vitamins minerals etc
i take vitamin pills to supplment my food just in case
i heard about the asian lactose thing.... do you think that maybe this has come about from the fact that most if not all of them have never had dairy products ever in their life Question
i heard that if non asians give up lactose for long enough we too change so we are unable to digest it... and that we only can digest it because we do so from being very young

ive been vegetarian/vegan on and off for 14 years now
i know some people who are strict vegetarian and vegans and although they have to seriously control their diet to prevent deficiencies they seem to live like the rest of us do Smile to some degrees i think they seem a lot heathier and peaceful too Smile
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:42 am
Col Man wrote:
ok Smile yeah i tried the vegan thing once and i had to pack it in due to feeling ill
i think as a vegetarian/vegan you need to know whats in what you eat so you get the right balance of vitamins minerals etc
i take vitamin pills to supplment my food just in case
i heard about the asian lactose thing.... do you think that maybe this has come about from the fact that most if not all of them have never had dairy products ever in their life Question
I don't know, but I think Chinese cooks experimented with just about everything. Seems more like genetic difference to me - like quicker alcohol addiction of the peoples in the extreme north.
Col Man wrote:
i heard that if non asians give up lactose for long enough we too change so we are unable to digest it... and that we only can digest it because we do so from being very young
That's interesting, I didn't know that.
Col Man wrote:
ive been vegetarian/vegan on and off for 14 years now
i know some people who are strict vegetarian and vegans and although they have to seriously control their diet to prevent deficiencies they seem to live like the rest of us do Smile to some degrees i think they seem a lot heathier and peaceful too Smile
Yep, those that succeed - take Bernard Shaw, for example - lead a very active and rich life and lived until 96.

Maybe it's not the diet that makes them peaceful, it's their peacefullness that causes them to become vegetarians Idea .
0 Replies