Man bred cockroaches as pets

Col Man

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:59 pm
A lonely widower in China kept 200,000 cockroaches as pets.

A horrified neighbour saw the insects swarming across the floor of the man's house in Beijing and called police.

The man told cops he'd started breeding the bugs as a hobby after his wife died. It took health officials two hours to kill the insects and disinfect the home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,575 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Galilite

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:21 am
I wonder who counted them?

Also, if he's from a southern province like Guangdong, he might use them as snacks as well...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Wow, I'm repulsed. Each to his own insect, I suppose!

0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 08:47 am
Galilite wrote:
Also, if he's from a southern province like Guangdong, he might use them as snacks as well...

Mr. Green I know what you are talking about. I once read something about the Guangdong cuisine. Tasty.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
You mean you need to "breed" cockroaches? Did he have some that were solely for stud purposes or something? I would think all you need to do is leave your house a mess and they multiple on their own.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:08 am
You know, the idea that he was so lonely after his wife's death really bothers me... But not enough to tolerate cockroaches around the place. Why cockroaches? Why not praying mantises? They're at least cute.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
Can they really live a week without their heads?
Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:35 am
Cockroaches can run up to three miles an hour.
Smile
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:38 am
Duh, i'd rather have a Ferarri
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:42 am
I'd rather you didn't try to ride cockroaches.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:53 am
Uhm, yeah, but you don't know the size of those Chinese cockroaches:))))
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:55 am
Shocked

eeewww....

Can you get a lease?
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:59 am
You mean something like "rent-a-cockroach"?
Well, i've never heard of that before, but i have to admit that it is a very interesting marketing concept. Idea
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
Laughing You two are killing me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:07 pm
How would the seatbelt law be enforced? They'd have to some how attach seatbelts to the roach...interesting dilemma.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
Smile superglue i reckon Smile
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 11:35 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Galilite wrote:

Mr. Green I know what you are talking about. I once read something about the Guangdong cuisine. Tasty.

Here's an appetizer:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1498

Warning: not for the faint-hearted, especially the part about the live snakes...

There's so called "snack corner" in Wangfujing Street in Beijing where they sell similar merchandise. When I visited Beijing, I honestly wanted to try something exotic like "scorpion-on-a-stick", but funny - I instantly lost my appetite when I got there.

Something else nobody mentioned yet: is it legal to kill somebody's pets?
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:20 am
Quote:

Well, according to the German law, it is, if you do it to sacrifice the animal as part of exercising your religion. In this case you'll have a collision between religious freedom and some laws for protection of the animals. The leading opinion here gives preponderance to the latter.
In this case, however, they killed the cockroaches, but firstly it was out of hygienic reasons and secondly i doubt that if you argue before the court that you have held 200 000 cockroaches as pets, they would take this as a reasonable argument Smile
Just my 2 cents.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:46 am
Maggie5554515 wrote:
Quote:

Well, according to the German law, it is, if you do it to sacrifice the animal as part of exercising your religion. In this case you'll have a collision between religious freedom and some laws for protection of the animals. The leading opinion here gives preponderance to the latter.
In this case, however, they killed the cockroaches, but firstly it was out of hygienic reasons and secondly i doubt that if you argue before the court that you have held 200 000 cockroaches as pets, they would take this as a reasonable argument Smile
Just my 2 cents.
Wow, what an expertise Smile ! Thanks, Maggie.

Although nobody said pets have to be mammals.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:55 am
Thanks for the link Galilite. I have a friend who's from China (not from Guangdong though), and she said that in her life she had already eaten things we just can't imagine to eat ourselves: snake, dog, cat etc. I bet it's tasty, but as a dog owner I don't want to think about the idea of eating a dog. Just look at his eyes!
0 Replies