Competing business website

bdog123

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 05:28 am
I am a business owner. I used to be in business with another person who broke off and started their own business, and now has their own website. We talked about a new business product before we parted ways. I believe that I have come up with new ideas to help the product work. My question is this. I visited my old partners businesses website. I researched our potential new product ideas on the Internet and made some adjustments to it, etc. I searched the product in a search engine and then went to my business competitors website. Well my competitor now see what ideas I've searched do to me ultimately going to their website due to keyword searches and cookies etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

bdog123

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:14 am
@bdog123,
I am referring to the use of Google analytics. I querying the idea I had, business partners name, and ultimately went to their site after seeing no one else has a patent on the product.
jespah

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:33 am
@bdog123,
Your search history is your own, unless you're using a computer that your competitor has access to.

People look up their competition all the time. It's called Competitor Analysis and it's a good, ethical, legal business practice.
0 Replies

bdog123

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 08:31 am
@bdog123,
Thank you, I understand that part, but from the research I've done the website can see the phrase that you typed in to get there and also the previous pages you visited... Is this correct?
bdog123

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 11:22 am
@bdog123,
Anyone?
ossobuco

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 11:36 am
@bdog123,
I don't know the answer, but be patient - people are at work in some parts of the world and haven't seen the question yet or are busy.
bdog123

Wed 16 Sep, 2015 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
If I for example search "product idea \ partners name" on Google, and ultimately view the partners website page which I click on, then they get to see how I found them and also the previous research on the web that I've done?
Also.....if I google "apple / car / persons name" and google recognizes the name and i click on their website, does google analytics show the phrase of apple car and their name that found them, even if the first 2 words have no relevance?
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 17 Sep, 2015 05:48 am
They might know someone is researching. And I say might because Google hides a lot of the specifics of search in Google Analytics, due to privacy considerations. But even if the specific query verbiage is listed, it won't say who did the searching. That really is privacy stuff, and Google won't give it up.

And they shouldn't - beyond privacy, it's also a matter of generating Google Analytics reports. These reports are aggregated. Imagine sites with tens of thousands of hits per day. They do not get individual names, and neither does your competitor.

Now, if they conclude it was you searching, that's a different ball of wax. But I doubt you are their sole competitor. If they draw such a conclusion, it is based on a hunch and not much more.
0 Replies