Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:05 am
My guinea pig Oreo died this weekend and I am very broken up about it. No one seems to think it's a big deal and that really bothers me. Why does a pet have to be a dog or cat to mean anything? I loved my pig and my heart is just about broken. This is almost 1 year to the day after losing my other pig Juliette.

Does anyone else understand this or has anyone had a similar experience when losing a small pet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,930 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:16 am
Sure, but nobody thought it was 'no big deal.' I ended up replacing him much sooner than I planned or expected to, but that's a personal choice.

I don't know Kristie. Maybe the loss of a pet affects us so much because they are completely dependent on us, and so darn trusting of our ability to make everything alright for them.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:19 am
Hi Kristie,

We had hamsters when I was growing up, and I sorely felt the loss when they died. There's nothing in the world wrong with feeling this way.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:26 am
I just don't get it. I would never think of making someone feel that their loss was insignificant but people did this with Juliette and now they have done it with Oreo. They don't say anything but I can tell they think that I am being overly sensitive.

I don't think I am. When Juliette died, she was very sick. I had been feeding her through a syringe for about a week. I was holding her when her heart stopped so I was especially saddened. I cried for days. One guy at work made a joke (a very tasteless joke I might add) about how I should lighten up because people eat guinea pigs in other countries. I almost died right there.

When I told one of my friends (long time friend) that my guinea pig Oreo had died, he said, "oh, sorry." and continued on without so much as a "how are you doing with it?".

I can't even bring myself to clean out her cage and dispose of her other things. I am so sad. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
I lost two chickens a few years ago and I still find myself thinking wistfully of them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:44 am
Kristie, I think if you lose anyone or anything with a name, it's a loss that should not be just dismissed by anyone.

We never had guinea pigs growing up - we had an iguana, various fish and then a dog. A loss is a loss, and it hurts. I'm sorry it happened - and edgar, I hope you're doing okay, too. Sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
Kristie--

A loss is a lost and I sympathize with your grief.

Would an outsider say that you are an emotional person? Or a person who tends to keep tears dammed up inside? While you're grieving, help other people understand the loss you are feeling. You can say, "My guinea pig died and I'm upset. She was as much a friend as a pet."
This lets your listener know that sympathy is in order.

As for people who make tasteless jokes, tell them you don't appreciate their sick humor. If you're not up to conflict at the moment, turn around sharply and walk away. Actions speak louder than words.

You have my sympathy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:46 am
I am an emotional person; I wouldn't say I cry easily but maybe easier than some. I have a very difficult time expressing myself verbally when I sad or hurt and would prefer to be alone.

Thanks everyone for your sympathy. Weird as it may sound, it is nice to have people, even strangers, understand.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
Kristie

I am so very sorry for your loss. I truly understand your feelings and your pain, as we recently lost our precious pet bunny. It still hurts that she's no longer with us and we will never forget her.
I also recieved the jokes and like yourself, I didn't appreciate it at all. I told people that their jokes were cruel and that I didn't appreciate them, so they stopped. I suggest you tell people the same thing. Your feelings are very real and people should respect that.

((((Hugs))))
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:44 pm
I did tell this guy and he felt really bad but I was angry at him for a while after.

Thanks so much for the support. This sucks.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:52 pm
I know Kristie. It will take time for you to mourn. I cried for a week strait. It is very hard.
0 Replies