What happened on this day?...

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:10 pm
Monday
June 7, 2004
2:21am

...that made 891 posters log onto
A2K?

( at the bottom of the Forum Index it states that unusable fact )

Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,026 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:05 am
That was the night of the party. They were here for the free bands, food and beer ... did you miss that?

Seriously, though, a large proportion of that total were search engine spiders chasing links, gathering rferences, and caching pages on their own, not real people, and another big chunk no doubt were folks clicking in from links found on search engines; topics and replies on A2K, being by nature topical and somewhat current-event-driven, turn up quite frequently in dearches run on any of the major search engines, such as Google, Yahoo!, MSN, Lycos, and Teoma, among others.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:35 am
I haven't figured it out. Saw no extra spiders a bunch of legitimate eyeball visits, but no big referral traffic or search traffic.

I was stumped, then I settled on it having been a radio mention or something. Still don't know for sure.

We've been mentioned in magazines and such before, but that doesn't cause a big one-time spike. Radio might though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:45 am
So likely it was real folks mostly, huh? How 'bout that. Wunner if the traffic spike had anything to do with Reagan's death? Be innerestin' to know which threads had the most traffic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:31 am
Spiders (from the usual suspects) are pretty stable and don't spike like that, if they did, I'd block them (as it can cause server load problems).

The traffic was to the home page, which is IMO consistent with a radio mention.

Just imagine "check out www.able2know.com slash forums slash viewtopic dot php questionmark the letter t equals sign 29132 folks, good stuff good stuff"....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:40 pm
You have radio interviews and or ads? cool, where?
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:09 am
There was 1,930 on-line at (approx) 8.04am GMT. Within seconds that number had dropped to 650 odd and now (8.06) it's 211. And very shortly, that will be 210...

0 Replies