How to get rid of cat pee smell in sofa

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:06 pm
You're welcome. Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

maude

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:15 pm
another query from another cat owner
here's the situation:

black leather over-stuffed type chair---the cat peed in the crack where the cushion meets the back of the chair. the cushion is not removable. The back of the cushion (in the crack where you can't see it) is covered in some kind of fabric (instead of leather), so the pee soaked in. And it stinks.

not sure what kind of leather (no documentation on the bottom), but it was just purchased a few months ago. it belongs to my mother, and she said it was cheap (and she's sure it's real leather). The filling is polyeurothane(%80)/polyester(%20). No huge deal if she has to throw it away, but it would be nice if we could salvage it.

I wiped the pee off the leather with soap suds. I sopped up as much as I could inside the crack, and mom is on her way home with "Nature's Miracle" (I warned her about the whole sitting-in-bacteria thing).

And for those of you who are interested in the whole cat behavior side of this--- the cat showed up at mom's house as a stray several months ago, the other cats try to chase her away, but she manages to hang around outside. I was planning on taking her when I move to a new place (moving in progress, that's why I'm staying with the parents), so I've been trying to get her accustomed to being inside the house by letting her in when the other cats aren't around... blah blah blah, then she decided to pee in the chair.

ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!
0 Replies

sioux

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:47 am
Cat Urine
i have a cat with an urinary infection. he has been treated at the vet, and I changed his diet, and he is alot happier. The problem is he is still urinating in the corner of the bedroom, and on the couch. The couch is just cloth & foam. I already tried cleaning the covers, and washing the foam cushions, but foam cushions are very difficult to dry. I have not solved the problem completely yet. I'm thinking of flipping over the couch and painting the wood frame inside the couch to eliminate the odors that soaked in. I am trying enzyme spray on the areas that I am not sure can be completely cleaned.

For the floor problem I pulled up the carpet, and removed the damaged padding. I used Kilz Oil Based primer on the floor and on the back of the carpet. after drying, I patched back in a piece of foam padding. Using a carpet cleaner just drove the odors into the subflooring. i then hand washed the carpeting.

I have an old house, and the renter left the house completely soaked in cat urine. Every room! I removed ALL the carpeting and pad from each room, and painted all the floors and base trim with Kilz Oil Based primer, and the ordors were completely removed! I then had new carpet and pad installed, and the home smells like a new house.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
http://nerve.fugacious.net/drf/archives/FreeCat.jpg
0 Replies

lisie

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:44 am
lifesong wrote:
GT - you are the best - I'm off to the hardware store.

Thank you.

Lifesong did sealing the floor work? I am about to do the same thing and was hoping to get a thumbs up on the process.

Thanx
0 Replies

GP

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:44 pm
Pet odor
I have heard that an ionizer will eradicate pet odor. It is an electronic device that creates/emits ionized air (ozone) which oxidizes (destroys) the bacteria that causes odor.

I understand that a real ionizer costs like $250 to $500. I have seen "claimed ionizers" for under $100 -- but they don't appear to have any electronics. Maybe they are just a fan with a charcoal filter -- might just act on the odor but not on the source (bacteria).

I have delayed trying one -- don't know reputable brands or sources, or how they are rated for output, to know what I'll get for the money.

Anybody got any feedback on ionizers?

GP
0 Replies