sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 03:44 pm
Oh, sozlet's fine, yes. And I'm terrible that way -- MUST HAVE FRESH FOOD. I recognize it's unreasonable and do my best, even if clothespins and blindfolds are involved.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
I had a cat once that snubbed real salmon...I was amazed.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 05:46 pm
Our cat adores salmon... and is pleased that the doggles are not allowed to eat it or any other table scraps.

I'm with you there Sozobe -- I want my food fresh. It is not unreasonable given our access to groceries.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 06:50 pm
The only fish my cats will eat is tuna...and on occassion this crab/shrimp thing in a can...wierdos
<more for me though>
Had a dog once would only eat cat food ... I end up with all the strange ones.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 07:38 pm
I was just thinking... our vet recommended that we quit giving our older male cat any dry food (once it is used up) and to start giving him canned food. Then he said that we shouldn't give him fish-based canned food... I can't remember exactly why, seems like there were too many salts or minerals in the fish. (I'll have to ask my daughter who took the cat in as she'll remember.) Anyway, all Stripe gets is chicken or beef.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:02 pm
Could be mercury. I've read lots of scary stuff about mercury in tuna, and am still trying to tease out how valid it is, since it's otherwise a good thing to eat. (Lots of good vitaminy stuff.)
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:06 pm
My kitty refuses any table food, no fresh fish for him! Humph!! Will not eat Whiskas either!

He's a strange one!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:38 pm
one of those meat eating cats misty? What in the world does it eat?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:44 pm
Dried Kitty chow, no table food, no fresh fish ... he used to like a spoon of ice cream, but now he's gone off that! What kinda cat do I have?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:47 pm
prolly a skinny one...mine eat just about anything..big ol fatties
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:56 pm
The cats here are more or less independent contractors granted welcome to whatever bounty they achieve from their assigned duties in vermin control. Their fringe benefits consist of little more than critical veterinary care (nuetering and necessary shots), shelter from the elements and a constant supply of fresh water. None of them are what you'd call "skinny", but none of them are "Fat". A couple are quite muscular, and are downright respectable sized beasts of most healthy and confident demeanor. They eat what they get for themselves, and they do well at it. They in fact do not as a rule show much interest in the household garbage cans, even if they are left uncovered. They seem to do be quite content with their employment and working conditions.

timber
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:29 am
Next Q:

How are cats affected by rising levels of mercury in fish? My cat loves tuna, sometimes it's all he'll eat for days. My bro-in-law postulated that cats would have a way to deal with toxins like merc better than we..... he admitted he was talking out the wrong orifice.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:57 am
Well, there have been times I also have been known to go on a tuna binge...but yeah, we are a bit different biologically so perhaps. I however did not partake in the whole cat disection and learning thing...just couldnt do it so, I dont know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 10:58 am
hmmmmm
Another question for the vet.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:04 am
"So far, the most extensively documented case of mercury poisoning from fish consumption occurred at Japan's Minimata Bay in the 1950s. People there began to worry when cats started foaming at the mouth and throwing themselves into the sea."

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/01.08.98/mercury-9801.html

Since cats don't normally consume plants of animals that normally consume mercury I'm at a bit of a loss to see how they would have developed a way to deal with mercury any more than humans have. Their food chain isn't all that far removed from our own....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:09 am
True fishin. Poor japanese kitties.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:14 am
lots of pretty gruesome stuff from that one...
yeah, I would think they werent so far removed from us but, Im no expert.
0 Replies