Is the Bible's god good?

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 04:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
To be fair, the same was thought of the apostles, so Im not in a rush to hold it against them.
Part of the problem with any translation, is that there don't appear to be any agenda free translation comparisons. I've found fault with all of the translations I use, even those translated by really really smart guys with educations and stuff. I would always advise any would be reader of the bible, use several translations to compare, and at least two concordances if you want to read a scripture and avoid the translation bias.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 04:55 pm
@Smileyrius,
What are the faults you find with the New World Translation?
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@InfraBlue,
I think the key point in the NWT is that the name Jehovah is translated into the new testament more than it appears in early texts, which is a result of JW interpretation, Im not too concerned by the motive on that though, overuse of the English translation of Gods name is far less of a worry to me than complete omission
Also of note, addition of punctuation is a minefield in translation of a text that didn't really have any. It also makes use of capitalisation of words such as God vs god to differentiate between the two, something that wasn't used as a differential in Koine Greek, these inputs are based on comparison and interpretation of scripture which is vulnerable to scrutiny.

I don't think there is such thing as a perfect translation I'd always suggest that people read them and decide for themselves which translations to trust or not, Translation bias could be a dangerous thing, depending on the scripture, how much it effects the meaning, and what it inspires a person to do in line with their faith.
Personally I find the NWT to be a fairly good translation, credentials notwithstanding, certainly one I like to have on my shelf, but then I'm no scholar.

I'd be interested in your thoughts though Infra, What faults do you find with the NWT? What translations would you suggest based on your experience?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2015 02:39 pm
@Smileyrius,
One fault, what you regard as the key point, is the NWT's misuse of the word "Jehovah" in instances where it doesn't appear in the original texts.

Other faults are the considerably original translations, or outright mistranslations, of phrases and other words throughout the texts that don't correspond with more scholarly translations, e.g. Exodus 34:14, John 1:1, "kolasis," etc.

I suggest comparing as many translations as possible especially against the more direct, literal translation of Robert Young.
neologist

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 12:41 am
@InfraBlue,
Interesting choice of straw men.
Johnjohnjohn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:30 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Hey HesDeltanCaptain lol

Commandment 6 and 3.

Answer this:

Think back to Job. What did GOD do after Job kept his faith during Satans attacks?

You've got the wrong enemy bud
Johnjohnjohn

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 06:34 am
@Johnjohnjohn,
and also lol

Whats happening to us right now? We're falling apart as a society because of satans attacks .

What will happen if we stay faithful?

We get more and better things than we started with.

Before you do the exact things GOD says not to , just think.

Is it worth it?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 08:54 am
@neologist,
How about expanding on that?
neologist

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 09:01 am
@InfraBlue,
Pick one to start
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 02:42 pm
@neologist,
The NWT abuse of word "Jehovah."
neologist

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
It should be obvious to one of your intelligence, that the 'NT' writers knew the divine name, since Jesus promoted it at Matthew 6:9, John 17:26, and others. When they quoted from scrolls containing the divine name, there would be every reason to include and no reason to exclude the name which appeared many thousands of times in ancient texts. That fragments of such writing have been found should come as no surprise. That the name is mssing from many is no surprise, either, since Christianity began its decline long before Constantine.

I understand that folks in our day are uneasy about using/hearing the name Jehovah. But it is a name widely used in English until about 100 years ago. Carole and I watched a Revolutionary War movie a while back and were astounded by the liberal references to Jehovah.

April Morning. We turned to it because it was early Tommy Lee Jones. Still on Netflix, I believe.

Perhaps we are now seeing a revival of Jewish superstition.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:33 pm
@neologist,
Was that the one produced by the JW's?
neologist

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 03:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No.
The plot line is the coming of age of an 18th century US teenager.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2015 11:39 pm
@neologist,
What's obvious to someone of my intelligence is that the NWT translators are pulling their rationalizations out of their nether regions in their abuse of the word "Jehovah," and you're swallowing them with eyes so tightly shut that you don't realize the contradictions between your claims of the Bible's unequivocal understandability and your assertions of the corruption of the NT because of "Christianity's decline long before Constantine."

I won't chase after your irrelevant red herrings, thank you very much.
neologist

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 09:52 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . abuse of the word "Jehovah," . . .
That phrase tells me a great deal.
Thank you.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:18 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Pick one to start

Secondly, the NWT mistranslation of Exodus 34:14.
neologist

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 10:54 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Secondly, the NWT mistranslation of Exodus 34:14.
Please show the mistranslation:
KJV:
Quote:
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
NWT:
Quote:
You must not bow down to another god, for Jehovah is known for requiring exclusive devotion. Yes, he is a God who requires exclusive devotion.
Holman Christian Standard Bible:
Quote:
You are never to bow down to another god because Yahweh, being jealous by nature, is a jealous God.
GOD'S WORD® Translation:
Quote:
(Never worship any other god, because the LORD is a God who does not tolerate rivals. In fact, he is known for not tolerating rivals.)
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary:
Quote:
34:10-17 The Israelites are commanded to destroy every monument of idolatry, however curious or costly; to refuse all alliance, friendship, or marriage with idolaters, and all idolatrous feasts; and they were reminded not with idolaters, and all idolatrous feats; and they were reminded not to repeat the crime of making molten images. Jealously is called the rage of a man, Pr 6:34; but in God it is holy and just displeasure. Those cannot worship God aright, who do not worship him only.
Emphasis mine
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 01:35 pm
@neologist,
The HCSB, NWT and GWT are minority translations, with the latter two deviating the most from the majority readings.

The majority translations read along the lines as the KJV:

Young's Literal Translation
for ye do not bow yourselves to another god -- for Jehovah, whose name is Zealous, is a zealous God.

American Standard Version
for thou shalt worship no other god: for Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Darby Bible Translation
For thou shalt worship no other God; for Jehovah -- Jealous is his name -- is a jealous God;

Douay-Rheims Bible
Adore not any strange god. The Lord his name is Jealous, he is a jealous God.

English Revised Version
for thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

English Standard Version
(for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God),

International Standard Version
indeed, you are not to bow down in worship to any other god, because the LORD's name is Jealous—he's a jealous God—

Jubilee Bible 2000
for thou shalt worship no other god; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

New American Standard Bible
-- for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God--

New English Translation
For you must not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

New International Version
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

New Jewish Publication Society of America Tanakh
For thou shalt bow down to no other god; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God;

New Living Translation
You must worship no other gods, for the LORD, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.

Webster's Bible Translation
For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

World English Bible
for you shall worship no other god: for Yahweh, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:08 pm
Good at what?
0 Replies

Joe Sixpack

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2015 03:18 pm
@InfraBlue,
Is jealousy bad?
What if someone makes a pass at your wife?