Is the Bible-God worthy of worship?

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 03:48 pm
Historically, people worshipped gods because doing so pleased the gods who in exchange did positive things for their worshippers. With this then in mind, what does the Bible's god do for its' worshippers?

Does God intervene when a Jew, Christian, or Muslim's life is in extremus? Does he cure their diseases, heal their injuries, or prevents such maladies altogether?

Goes God magically make food fall from the back of supermarket semis as they pass in front of soup kitchens ensuring the hungry get fed?

Does God make it rain on the faithful farmer's fields even if it doesn't on his neighbor if not religious?

Does the Bible god actually do anything at all? Or is it more like the children's story "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything?"

God may very well exist, but even he does, so what? Get more worshipping the Sun as a non-sentient deity than a deity who doesn't do anything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,126 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 04:15 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I'm not convinced he doesn't do anything.

I think the rule he goes by is "Don't do anything in such a way that cannot be attributed to coincidence, luck or 'could have happened anyway' ". That leaves lots of room for doing stuff.
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 04:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
Too easily used as a cop-out though.

"When you do things right, people wont be sure you did anything at all." - "Futurama"

A nifty saying, but ultimately self-serving to a non-existant deity. "Oh he exists but does things discretely." Well isn't that convenient. Smile
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 04:24 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Too easily used as a cop-out though.
Could be, but not necessarily.
If you were God and wanted to be discrete, how would you do it and not give your presence away?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 06:12 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I was under the impression the god of the bible wasn't ruling right now? What the bible god does for his worshippers is more about the future than the here and now
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:55 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
If the "Bible-God" were currently in charge of the world, how could Satan have offered the world to Jesus in Matthew 4:8?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:59 am
@neologist,
You think he wouldn't lie??
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:09 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
You think he wouldn't lie??
If he had lied, would not Jesus have caught him in it? Instead of refuting his claim, Jesus rebuked his suggestion.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:46 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"You think he wouldn't lie??"

If he had lied, would not Jesus have caught him in it? Instead of refuting his claim, Jesus rebuked his suggestion.

Jesus often bypassed the obvious answer in order to get at the root of the deception. In this case I think he was reminding Lucifer of his bad deal when he traded what God gave him for the vainglorious emptiness that he rejected it for. Jesus was telling him it wasn't even tempting. I bet that burned Satan far more deeply than if Jesus had said 'That is not yours to offer'.
neologist

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 01:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
Well, Satan is often referred to as the "ruler of this world" (John 14:30, for one)
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 02:35 pm
@neologist,
It's only a temporary assignment. And of course they both knew that.
Joe Sixpack

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 03:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
I've heard the tour of duty is almost up
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:07 am
@Joe Sixpack,
I hope so. Even when you have everything this world has to offer, it's not enough.

That damn book is too often right. 'Vanity, vanity, all is vanity'.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:37 pm
@neologist,
The Bible is all over the place in regard to these assertions.

In Psalm 22:28 one reads, "for dominion belongs to the LORD and he rules over the nations."
neologist

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

In Palm 22:28 one reads, "for dominion belongs to the LORD and he rules over the nations."
I don't see that as a contradiction. Whenever it suits Jehovah's purpose, he can manipulate world events as he sees fit.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 12:48 pm
@neologist,
Exactly, he rules the world according to that verse whereas in John 14:30 "the prince/ruler of the world" does.
neologist

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
A good marksman can delberately miss the point.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 02:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

In Psalm 22:28 one reads, "for dominion belongs to the LORD and he rules over the nations."
It is his dominion, but for the purposes of the wager, Satan was granted certain advantages for the time being. Those included God not exercising absolute control of everything while the wager is on. It's still his dominion and he will decide when the wager is over. Then 'Thy kingdom come, thy will be done'. At least that is the way I make sense of it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 04:49 pm
@neologist,
Yeah, to reconcile the contradiction you gloss it over to mean that God handed over the reins to the prince for a while, "the ruler of the world."
neologist

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 06:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Yeah, to reconcile the contradiction you gloss it over to mean that God handed over the reins to the prince for a while, "the ruler of the world."
Were Satan's powers unlimited, we would all be dead.
0 Replies