America, Ensign of Freedom

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
I believe God has a plan for America as an ensign for freedom, that together we may bring freedom to many.

I dreamed of a liberator who would make men free,
I asked who and when it would be,
I asked and prayed until I could see,
The answer is now, me,
And the Land of the Free.

If we are to accomplish this we must join together as Americans and fight against oppression, starting with joining together to support the continued war in Iraq. For we are fighting for freedom there, and we must win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 744 • Replies: 8
No top replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:13 pm
False dilemma.

I vote for C. Nothing suggests to me that there is a god, or if there is it has any vested interest in the outcome of human lives.

Though to that effect, I'd say it is important that we work to end oppression. Pity that's not in our national interests. But then, this is not a political board.
0 Replies

lt stapley

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:49 am
Just the fact that the sun rises each day proves to me that there is a God, and he loves each and every one of us
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:53 pm
It_Stapley, the Aztecs not only saw the sun as their god, Huitzilipochtli, but they saw themselves as his chosen one's because their rituals and sacrifices (of others' hearts) guaranteed his rise each morning. Face it, if the sunrise is your evidence for the existence of God, you simply do not need evidence. And that's fine with me (read William James The Will to Believe). But do realize that your proof is not at all compelling for others.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 09:08 pm
JLNobody wrote:
It_Stapley, the Aztecs not only saw the sun as their god, Huitzilipochtli, but they saw themselves as his chosen one's because their rituals and sacrifices (of others' hearts) guaranteed his rise each morning. Face it, if the sunrise is your evidence for the existence of God, you simply do not need evidence. And that's fine with me (read William James The Will to Believe). But do realize that your proof is not at all compelling for others.

Excellent example. Aztecs sacrificing humans to the sun.

Who is going to prove their god is lesser than USA's or Iraq's god?

If we're going to engage in a war, lets not use god as an excuse. Thats what the terrorists do.

The sun rising proves nothing about religion. I could go rob a bank and say "well, the sun rose, thats why I believe the god in my personal religion was telling me to do it."
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:19 pm
America, Ensign of Freedom?
Quite the opposite, it seems to me.
Do some reading.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
America had the unique opportunity to be an Ensign of Freedom through much of the 20th Century. But the push for economic and military domination over the world subverted any good causes, making it become a run-of-the-mill empire, if the biggest.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:40 pm
Why do we need two threads with identical topics? Since this thread topic is already more developed on the Philosophy forum, why not go there instead?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 05:44 pm
Was it posted by the same person?
0 Replies