Hawking says he solved the Black Hole Information Paradox

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:51 am
"I have solved the black hole information paradox and I want to talk about it." - S. Hawking

Apparently when black holes evaporate, they eventually reach a point at which they release information.

The way I'm picturing this is that as the black hole evaporates, it eventually reaches a point at which it's mass/size relationship no longer supports an event horizon, and information escapes... but I'm just guessing since I haven't heard what Hawking has to say yet Wink

He is due to speak at a conference next week. It could turn out to be very interesting.

The CNN story: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/15/hawking.holes.reut/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 960 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
An' the Preacher kept right on sayin'
How if i sent ten dollars to the Church of the Sacred Bleedin' Heart of Jesus
In downtown Los Angeles, California
Next week they'd say my prayer on the Radio ! ! !
And all my dreams would come true ! ! !

Will we be able to find out why Rudolf Hess flew to Scotland? Will we finally establish the innocence of Shoeless Joe Jackson in the 1919 "Blacksox" scandal? Will Jimmy Hoffa's body be located?

So many questions . . .
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 10:26 am
On the 21th July in Dublin, then we know more about this.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
Conference Update wrote:
Hawking's answer is that the black holes hold their contents for eons but themselves eventually deteriorate and die. As the black hole disintegrates, they send their transformed contents back out into the infinite universal horizons from whence they came.

Previously, Hawking, 62, had held out the possibility that disappearing matter travels through the black hole to a new parallel universe -- the very stuff of most visionary science fiction.

"There is no baby universe branching off, as I once thought. The information remains firmly in our universe," Hawking said in a speech to the conference.

"I'm sorry to disappoint science fiction fans, but if information is preserved, there is no possibility of using black holes to travel to other universes," he said.

"If you jump into a black hole, your mass energy will be returned to our universe, but in a mangled form, which contains the information about what you were like, but in an unrecognizable state."

At that point, the audience of about 800 people, including many of his peers, laughed.

I guess like others, we'll have to wait for the written report sometime next month before getting the details, but it still seems to me that Hawking is saying that a black hole eventually degrades to the point at which it can no longer maintain an event horizon, and it begins to leak previously stored (and now mangled) matter/energy.

I would like to know how it disintegrates exactly, how long it takes to get to the point of disintegration, and how it regurgitates its contents once it fails. Why did Hawking say, "As black holes disintegrate, they send their transformed contents back out into the infinite universal horizons from whence they came". Was he being poetic, or does the matter/energy somehow flood back into the universe in an even spread? This could be a dramatic find.

Hawking radiation (described by Hawking years ago) relied on unmatched quantum particles, some of which appeared outside the event horizon while their counterparts appeared inside the event horizon (thus the leakage of quantum radiation). However, this doesn't seem to imply that any mass is being lost from the black hole, and unless mass is lost somehow, I can't see how the event horizon will every fail.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 08:35 am
This is nothing new. This is the idea of Hawking radiation found in his books.

http://www.rdrop.com/users/green/school/radiatin.htm

This site gives a brief description if you don't own any of the books.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:04 am
Perhaps the second part of the virtual particle pair that gets sucked in is biased towards being an antiparticle - so it either contains negative mass/energy - or it interacts with another half of an antipartilce pair and drops back out of existence - talking the mass of both components out of the blackhole's system.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
Thalion wrote:
This is nothing new. This is the idea of Hawking radiation found in his books.

Hawking Radiation isn't new, but the idea that black holes can degrade to the point of releasing information is new. Also, Hawking didn't say that this degradation was related to Hawking Radiation... I only speculated that it might be.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:54 am
g__day wrote:
Perhaps the second part of the virtual particle pair that gets sucked in is biased towards being an antiparticle - so it either contains negative mass/energy - or it interacts with another half of an antipartilce pair and drops back out of existence - talking the mass of both components out of the blackhole's system.

Another interesting idea Smile Unfortunately, I haven't a clue if this was what Hawking alluded to when he said, "degradation and disintegration" of black holes.

I still haven't heard anything about the processes he is expecting. All I've heard so far are the results he is anticipating.

Once the processes are described, I just hope I can understand them well enough to get a visual understanding of what is being proposed. I'm afraid it may be presented in a mathematic form which I won't understand.
0 Replies