moving to sydney

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:14 am
hi I am moving to Sydney in Sept. 2004 from USA. I've never been to Australia, and I want to know of any tips people have on life there. What's the difference between Bondi and Coogee. I've been told these are wonderful places to live. I want to live near the beach, I want wonderful nightlife, and I want to meet alot of people. Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,455 • Replies: 16
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:23 am
I would also like to know these things as the prospect of moving to Australia has been presented to me before and will probably be again. Also, how strict are the immigration laws?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 05:10 pm
Will be back soon.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
Condition22.

Welcome. I will assume that you are coming to OZ to work and therefore have your visa sorted. Bondi is a beachside suburb east of the CBD. Coogee has it's own beach and is a few "miles" south, but still very close to the city. The difference between them is not much, but if anything, Bondi has more of a tourist/ backpacker/ "cool" feel to it. Coogee is a bit more of a "locals" beach.

There are many beachside suburbs in Sydney. The Bondi Coogee area is the closest to the city and therefore the most expensive.

Tips and advice I can't really give. Sydney is a big place, I'm sure you'll find whatever it is that interests you somewhere.

Nickfun.

Getting a visitors visa to OZ is easy, we love tourists.
Migrating here can be hard. If you have family here then you're set. If you're a refugee and can prove it then you're set.If you're sponsored by a company then you're set. If not you need to have something to offer.

This site has all the information in detail.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 09:43 pm
Re: moving to sydney
condition22 wrote:
I want to live near the beach, I want wonderful nightlife, and I want to meet a lot of people. Any advice?

I want all these too!

But - I've lived in Sydney all my life (so far!), and ....... Confused

NickFun
- not too sure we need another cat-hater here - Mr Stillwater has that position filled!
0 Replies

condition22

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:54 am
thank you for ure response adrian, i definitely think that helps. I'm surprised I didn't have more responses though Sad. Oh well. It's weird b/c I have this mental view of what I think Sydney will be like, and I'm eager to live there already!

What bars would you recommend?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:25 pm
Condition 22
At present there are only 2 active Sydney-ites on these boards, Adrian and myself. Mr Stillwater now lives outside Sydney. So don't expect a massive response.

Asking about bars - I can't answer - I am so not a bar person. Although, yesterday I found out there is a sort of public bar at the Town Hall. A friend gave an organ recital (at the Cathedral next door) and wanted to go for a drink - and he recommended this bar - I'd never heard of it. You wouldn't describe it as lively, though - just surprising that it was there.

Sydney is a city like many others, although very well sited. It has all the things that make up a city - over 4 million people, congestion, pollution, traffic, frustration.

It also has beaches, harbour, museums, concerts, a multitude of sporrts, places to go, people to see.

You sound fairly young - perhaps the life at Bondi is just what you crave. A lot depends on what you have to do - as I advised another poster - it's no use living at Bondi if that means you need to make a 2-hour commute each way each day. So, establishing where you will be working is important.

Then look at Domain.com.au, to get an idea of rental prices in the various areas.

Ask again if you want some practical help.
0 Replies

condition22

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
MARGO THANK YOu for ure response. I didn't realize that there were only 2 aussie natives on the board, but i highly appreciate what you have said so far. I'm definitely going to check out and use the info you gave me!

I just graduated college, so I'm very excited to do something like travel to Sydney and be adventurous.

Are prices for apartments per month or week because I went on domain.com.au and it wasn't clear.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 01:43 pm
Oh, there are more than 2 Aussies! We don't ALL live in Sydney ya know!! Laughing
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 05:03 pm
Condition 22.

Rent is weekly in Oz.

There are LOTS of bars. Not many I would actually recommend.

I'm assuming you're female from your language, so.....

Stay away from the Coogee Bay Hotel unless you WANT guys all over you all night.

The Beach Palace in Coogee is much better.

The Bondi Hotel is a good pub.

I live out west though, so I don't really go to these places very often.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:52 pm
To live in Bondi, you're also going to need PLENTY of money.
0 Replies

Polarbear

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:06 pm
Ok,
I have moved to Sydney from the Uk about 3 months ago (Im originally an aussie, just not from Sydney) and I can say this place is fantastic!!
It depends on what kinds of places you want to go (ie clubs, bars, pubs etc) and what you are into. I have found Sydney has alot to offer most people, and after 2 1/2 years in London, thats a big ask.

Give us a run down of your interests and lifestyle etc etc and we can help!
0 Replies

condition22

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:22 am
I really appreciate everybody's advice!

When you say I'm going to need plenty of money for BOndi, what does that mean to you? I lived in Boston, one of the most expensive cities in USA, so I'm used to pricey.

Everyone who I know who has been to Australia has loved it, and I honestly have never heard of a negative thing about it.

In terms of the lifestyle, I love to meet new people all the time, and I want to go to Australia and meet many non-Americans because that's something I've already experienced. I worked with a bunch of aussies a few summers ago and I can say they are the nicest people I've ever met.

** also in terms of trips I heard Whitsundays, the great barrier reef, were great places to visit, any further suggestions would be great
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:27 am
Depends, what do you like? Skiing? Swimming? Hiking? Desert, rainforest, country, beach?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:07 pm
we are just the coolest, wittiest, and generally best looking...

just ask us! Smile
0 Replies

USAMeg

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
condition 22 - I'm moving there too!
Well my work VISA should be coming in the mail... I bought my ticket for January 10... and I'm trying to think of where to live too. All my life I've always wanted to live at the beach... so far I have come up with the same names as condition22 -- Bondi and all towns with the name Bondi in them, Coogee, Clovelly, and Bronte, even Waverly. I thought of Manly but it seems so isolated.
At my best math I pay about $454AUD per week here in New York... so I figure I can find something pretty good in Sydney for even less than I pay now. I know it matters where in Sydney you work, but I have no idea where to work either. I figure I can get any kind of job - I just want to come there to relax and see the world. My rule is - no offices! I could wait tables... or work with animals... I want to stay out of the CBD, I work in Manhattan for pete's sake that's the last thing I need!!! Anybody have any thoughts?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:24 pm
Quote:
Mr Stillwater now lives outside Sydney.

Hey, the Court could change it's mind anyday! I'm not sure that a restriction order involving an ENTIRE city is entirely constitutional either!
0 Replies