Children Must Find a New Home for “The Bear” in Boston

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:41 pm
Mayor Thomas M. Menino asked Boston's youngest residents help him find a new home for a beloved Boston icon: the 12-foot bronze FAO Schwarz bear statue that has called the corner of Boylston Street home in Boston's Back Bay for over a decade.

The bear was dedicated in 1991and then re-dedicated in 2003 to the children of Boston. It is with those children - past, present, and future - in mind that will help determine the best possible location for the bear.
The bear statue could have been sold to the highest bidder, but the landlord secured ownership of the bear so that it could be donated to the children of the city.

Children of all ages are invited to use the online suggestion form to submit their ideas for where the bear should go. Boston residents can also send ideas to the Mayor's Office or call the Teddy Bear hotline.

See: http://www.cityofboston.gov/mayor/teddybearcontest/

My personal vote - the Boston Children's Hospital! What are your thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,377 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
My thought is, why move it at all?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:03 pm
My guess is one of two reasons or perhaps both:

The property owner does not want responsibility for it.
The statue was dedicated to the children of Boston and thus they want to preserve it in an area where children are more likely to see it. Since FAO is now closed - there is no interest in that corner for children. FAO is also footing the bill to have it moved.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:48 pm
Methinks the building there is being torn down for another new development!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
Ah, now it all makes sense. Sure, the children's hospital or museum should be good.
0 Replies

kmmalloy

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 03:02 pm
The Shriners Burns Institute for Children would be a great place for the FAO Schwarz Bear!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
My front yard would be perfect....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 07:40 am
That would be fine bi-polar if you don't mind hundreds of kids climbing around your front yard.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 08:19 am
There are worse things than a bunch of happy kids overrunning your yard......
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 01:00 pm
Personally I wouldn't mind either…so as long as you don't - lets have it sent to bi-polar's house!
0 Replies

kmmalloy

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 10:22 am
Hi - They have renamed the Shriners Burns Institute - It's now the Shriners Burns Hospital - Boston. They get my vote.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:20 am
An update on the Bear….

Officials said they have been deluged with more than 7,000 suggestions, from 34 states and five countries, for what to do with the 3-ton bronze bear with the trademark alphabet blocks. Submissions came from as far away as Ethiopia and Pakistan.

''I wish I could get the same interest in the issues I develop," Menino quipped yesterday as he announced three finalists in contention to be the bear's keeper. Menino said that in coming weeks, officials will decide between the Franklin Park Zoo, Children's Hospital, and Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts-New England Medical Center. He said they were among the more acceptable submissions the city has received since asking the children of Boston to send ideas last month.

The bear triggered strong feelings, many of them expressed in crayon. Ashlyn Howard, 9, of Winthrop said he was concerned about the bear's health and earnestly suggested that he be placed near a hospital. ''If the bear gets sick he can go see one of the doctors or nurses and they will give him medicine to feel better," she wrote in bright green magic marker. ''And it would look cool."

A boy from Hingham suggested the Floating Hospital for Children near Chinatown for two simple reasons: ''It likes Chinese food and helping kids." http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2004/08/19/bared_souls/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:25 am
And the votes are in…..The FAO Schwarz bronze teddy bear was unveiled yesterday at its new home, the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts-New England Medical Center.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/11/02/1099394008_4544.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:21 pm
Excellent, thanks for keeping up with this.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
I especially like the sox banner on the bear!
0 Replies