Sophists--teachers of rhetoric or mental prostitutes?

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:23 pm
If (and I emphasis IF) Wittgenstein or anyone else (e.g., Nietzsche) showed us that all our efforts are ultimately non-sensical (which I suspect is true), they have done an important and viable bit of philosophizing. The question remailns where do we go from there? If we decided to just live in a murky pool of common sense thinking, we will still be doing philosophy, but incredibly inferior philosophy. I suggest that we continue with our philosophical investigations but with our tongues partially in cheek, and spend some time every day meditating. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 06:45 pm
JL, nothing is inferior in this world..NOTHING. There is only the idea of it. We look in the face of evil, and there we discover a potential travesty.

Tonight I found a small, insignificant, frog clinging to the crevice of a small corner. I touched it, and there was no retreat.

Well, I am delighted that we can laugh, talk, and meditate( which I have never done)...but every day that we awaken is a meditation.

goodnight,
from Florida
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:27 pm
Letty, I agree. Broadly speaking we are always meditating. Regarding "awakening" it comes with lower and upper case "A".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:46 pm
I always feel that I must leave the day with a poem, JL. I did so tonight, and you are so right, my friend. The capitals make all the difference in the feeling of it, but not in the leaving of it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:03 pm
Letty, JLN, I'm proud to know ya both; while sometimes we may not share opinions on a given issue, I think all in all we're on the sane side of life, and that's what counts.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:08 pm
Sniff.....I feel Sofia and I are being left out of the group hug. Sad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:25 pm
Sorry, Foxfyre ... Sofia and I already have an independently negotiated arrangement, of some long standing. You were not intentionally slighted, and I apologize for your having been, inadvertantly and carelessly I assure you, unmentioned. Please feel free to join the hug ... no charge.

Just this once. though, mind you.

And, of course, tipping is customary.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 10:30 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:01 am
Good morning all. That was a kind thing for you to say, Timber, and I appreciate it. There's one interesting fact that I find helpful in deciding about philosophy. Often we have to unlearn as much as we learn because of what is instilled in us at an early age. That can take a life time of examination. Many times, every day observations by real people in a real world, can have the most impact in our lives. My oldest sister once told me:

It is difficult to see faults in others that we don't possess ourselves. I have turned that idea around in my head several times and decided that it's not an actuality, at least in my life.

As for the ancient sages, I'm afraid that I know little of what they espouse, but this particular thread started because I had held a misconception of the label.

I always appreciate any input even when I don't quite understand it. <smile>
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:16 pm
Letty, do you realize the zennish quality of your statement that "nothing is inferior [or superior] in this world. There is only the idea of it [being so]"?
Pardon the additions.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:02 pm
Reminds me of a quote, I think from Wittgenstein:

(paraphrasing)

"We give up three-fourths of ourselves up, trying to be like everyone else."

I guess someone said later, "Go along to get along."

Indeed, refusing to do this can reveal that we are not superior or inferior--just unique.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 04:34 pm
No, JL. I have no idea about Zen. I only know what I know..uhoh...that made me think of a song.<smile> and what doesn't. Why should you ask pardon of additions?

Sophia, One thing that I can say. I have never given up one little bit of myself to be like someone else. really. Perhaps, therein, lies the problem.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
I wouldn't characterize it as a problem.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:24 pm
Bump.
BoGo...?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:50 pm
Lash, I don't understand.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:17 pm
Letty wrote:

Me, neither...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:52 am
Lash wrote:
Letty wrote:

Me, neither...

I do.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:44 am
BBB
Spin Doctors, that's what them Sophists are, ain't they?

BBB
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
dyslexia wrote:
Lash wrote:
Letty wrote:

Me, neither...

I do.

He's a philosopher....or either he just finally agreed to marry me.
0 Replies