BATTLE ROYALE: GEEK MADNESS TOURNEY

engineer

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 01:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm taking Wonder Woman - the new one who is a demi-god, studied under Ares, then defeated him in battle and became the new God of War.

Quote:
In September 2011, DC Comics relaunched its entire publication line, dubbing the event The New 52. Among the major changes to the character, Wonder Woman now appears wearing a new costume similar to her older one, and has a completely new origin. In this new timeline, Wonder Woman is no longer a clay figure brought to life by the magic of the gods, but the goddess daughter of Queen Hippolyta and Zeus, king of the Greek Gods. Currently, Diana has taken on the role and title as the new "God of War".
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 06:14 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
engineer wrote:
I'm ready for round three. Got my whole team picked out and they would definitely save the world.

I have #3 and #4 picked for my team, but I don't think everyone has made their choice for #2 yet.

I have some interesting ideas for my #5, but nothing that has clicked as something where I say "That's it!"

I finally thought of a good pick for my #5, that I like so much that I'm advancing him to #3 before someone else gets him.

Mace Windu (Star Wars prequels)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:00 am
@engineer,
I thought the rule is only folks who have appeared in live-action productions. No comics, no cartoons....
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:03 am
@DrewDad,
Anywho, I want Paul Atreides, Muad'dib, the Kwisatz Haderach.

Nothing like a prescient supercomputer to improve one's chances....
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:14 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Damn! That's a great choice!
George

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:35 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Damn! That's a great choice!
It is. (There goes my next round pick.)
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:09 am
@George,
George wrote:
(There goes my next round pick.)

His son has the same powers I believe.
George

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 11:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I never really got into the later books in the series.
engineer

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 03:48 pm
@DrewDad,
Wonder Woman has appeared multiple times. The newest incarnation will appear in the upcoming Batman vs Superman movie.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:49 pm
@engineer,
There is only one true Wonder Woman. She was played by Lynda Carter. Her ability to run in slow motion is one of the highlights of my adolescence.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nenwWPuYj7U/UUBwIOzyaKI/AAAAAAAA2wk/RoO7R0p3rVc/s320/lynda-carter-smile.jpg
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@George,
George wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I never really got into the later books in the series.

The SciFi Channel has made two miniseries that span the novels Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune.

---

By the way, if anyone likes the book/series enough to have watched the 1984 theatrical movie/TV extended edition of the same movie, they are likely really pissed off about it. To those people I recommend the following FanEdit by a guy named Spicediver:

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux

I promise that anyone who is pissed off about the 1984 theatrical movie/TV version, will weep with joy if they see this FanEdit.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Slightly different look for the new movies

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/72847/gal_gadot_72847.jpg
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:02 pm
@engineer,
The real Wonder Woman is Lynda Carter. This other woman is a cheap impersonation, a weak knockoff of the original. By the same way, I feel the same way about Catherine Bach who is the only true Daisy Duke.

I wish they would stop sullying my adolescence.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 11:52 am
The following list is my chosen team of five over at IMDb:

TsarStepan's Team:

1. Light Yagami (Leader)
2. Captain Jack Harkness (from Torchwood)
3. Lisbeth Salander, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
4. Silver Surfer, Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
5. Lucy, Lucy (2014)

Why choose my team?:
I have a stunning combination of cosmic power, intelligence, guile, wit, boldness and perseverance. Not failing to mention that four out of my five team members have god-like abilities.

Light Yagami has a notebook, which allows him to kill anyone simply by knowing their name and face and writing that name in said notebook. He is judgment personified. He will only be needed in combat to decimate the entirety of the alien's leadership by long distance assassination.

This is a war and in war we need an authoritarian not a democratic leader. Light Yagami will bring necessary decisiveness and determination to the leader's role. No hemming and hawing while tactics are debated and millions are being killed in the meantime because a decision can't be made.

Captain Jack Harkness has military training and understanding of military tactics. He has earned over several centuries of life, decades of experience in defense of Earth and humanity from invading and malicious alien invaders. He and Silver Surfer will also be the conscience and moral compass of our team.

Lisabeth Salander will be our team's tech support. Via the superscience of hacking, her talents will be utilized for the following: tearing down defense systems; disabling weapon systems; and providing intel on the alien invaders and supplying leadership targets to Light Yagami.

Lucy, Lucy (2014) and Silver Surfer (Fantastic Four). They are renowned as two of the most powerful characters in science fiction. Lucy can manipulate space and time. Silver Surfer has the firepower to destroy entire planets. So space armadas aren't too much of a challenge.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:01 am
@tsarstepan,
So, are we on to round four?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:08 am
@DrewDad,
Why not. Round four it is!

I'll grab Captain Jack Harkness (from Torchwood).
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:49 am
Obi-Wan Kenobi
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:53 am

Round 4: Illidan Stormrage (World of Warcraft)

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2015/august/Legion_Box_Cover_020c_ForPR.jpg
http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/images/glowei/WarCraft_Glowei018c_Large.jpg

Brief explanation: Demons are one of the major antagonists in World of Warcraft. While demonic in appearance, they are not from a biblical/spiritual hell, but are better thought of as hostile aliens (though in a universe where magic works better than science).

Illidan is an Elf who, to better gain the power to fight the demons, became part demon himself.
engineer

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 07:56 am
@oralloy,
R4: Kingsley Shacklebolt, former Auror and current Minister for Magic.
oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 08:13 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
R4: Kingsley Shacklebolt, former Auror and current Minister for Magic.

I never thought of the Harry Potter universe.

I already like my existing #5, but there are some interesting alternates available there if someone else grabs my #5 before I can pick her.