Bible in Aramaic?

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 01:08 am
it is said, i belive, that Jesus speaks the Aramaic language
is there a bible in that language?

and one more question...is there any language that has the Bible but that language is itself no more in use, kind of dead language
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,662 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:09 am
The original 'Bible' was in Greek. There are some 'ructions' about the validity of documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls - I can only quote a former governor of Texas:

"If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!!".
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 05:57 am
Which part of the Bible are we speaking about?
Hebrew Bible or New Testament?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:16 am
Miller wrote:
Which part of the Bible are we speaking about?
Hebrew Bible or Testament?

The Christian Bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament , with the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox versions of the Old Testament being slightly larger because of their acceptance of certain books and parts of books considered apocryphal by Protestants.

The Jewish Bible includes only the books known to Christians as the Old Testament.

The arrangements of the Jewish and Christian canons differ considerably. The Protestant and Roman Catholic arrangements more nearly match one another.

Since crucifixation asks referring to Jesus, he doesn't seem to refer to the Jewish but to the Christian bible.

The New Testament was written in common Greek - as Mr Stillwater already responded correctly as ever.

"Targum" (= Aramaic: "Translation" or "Interpretation"), is any of several translations of the Hebrew Bible or portions of it into the Aramaic language. The word originally indicated a translation of the Old Testament in any language but later came to refer specifically to an Aramaic translation.

The earliest Targums date from the time after the Babylonian Exile when Aramaic had superseded Hebrew as the spoken language of the Jews in Palestine.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:22 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
The original 'Bible' was in Greek. There are some 'ructions' about the validity of documents such as the Dead Sea Scrolls - I can only quote a former governor of Texas:

"If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!!".

aw comeon we all know Jesus doesnt speak English

anyway i found my answers now

Quote:
The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:27 am
The Aramaic Bible (The Targums)

Old Covenant

While any translation of the Scriptures may in Hebrew be called a Targum, the word is used especially for a translation of a book of the Hebrew Bible into Aramaic. Before the Christian era Aramaic had in good part replaced Hebrew in Palestine as the vernacular of the Jews.

Rabbinic Judaism has transmitted Targums of all the books of the Hebrew Canon, with the exception of Daniel and Ezra-Nehemiah, which are themselves partly in Aramaic. Translations of books of the Hebrew Bible into Aramaic for liturgical purposes must have begun before the Christian era, although none transmitted by Rabbinic Judaism can be shown to be that old.
The aim of this series is to translate all the traditionally-known Targums into modern English idiom, while respecting the particular and peculiar nature of what these Aramaic translations were originally intended to be. The translators have made use of what they feel to be the best printed editions of the Aramaic Targum in question or have directly consulted the manuscripts. The translation aims at giving a faithful rendering of the Aramaic.

The Targums are not of the same kind. They were translated at different times and have more than one interpretive approach to the Hebrew Bible. Targumic deviations from the Hebrew Text are indicated in italics.

http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Scriptures/ABT.htm

(Aramaic was also a language used by Jesus .)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:30 am
Thanks, Miller - that's what I meant, just tried to shorten it, because IMHO it wasn't asked.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:20 am
I checked out "Aramaic Bible" on Google and found a thousands listings. Why do you want a book that you can't read?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:35 pm
maybe he's Mel Gibson Confused
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:40 am
I heard that Jesus is also fluent in Italian and Latin but his English is somewhat broken. It would be easiest to find an Italian Bible.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:27 am
Re: Bible in Aramaic?
crucifixation wrote:
is there any language that has the Bible but that language is itself no more in use, kind of dead language
Since Aramaic is spoken by some Persian Jews (I personally know an Aramaic speaker), and ancient Hebrew is very similar to the modern one (Hebrew speakers can read original Old Testament without any adaptations), Koine Greek is the only dead language, I believe.

Note: if it's about Jim Caviezel's Aramaic... it's not exactly Aramaic Wink . It's a federal crime, just like shooting ancient Israel in Italy. Maia Morgenstern (Mary) did much better job in pronunciation.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
Galilite wrote:
crucifixation wrote:
is there any language that has the Bible but that language is itself no more in use, kind of dead language
Since Aramaic is spoken by some Persian Jews (I personally know an Aramaic speaker), and modern Hebrew is very similar to the modern one (Hebrew speakers can read original Old Testament without any adaptations), Koine Greek is the only dead language, I believe.

Note: if it's about Jim Caviezel's Aramaic... it's not exactly Aramaic Wink . It's a federal crime, just like shooting ancient Israel in Italy. Maia Morgenstern (Mary) did much better job in pronunciation.

The passage is bold letters is not clear to me. Are you saying that Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are very similar? If so, why in the world are the 2 taught in school as separate and distinct? At many Divinity Schools, for a Master's Degree, the candidate must pass two years of Biblical Hebrew.

However, to gain entrance to a US rabbinical college, the candidate must pass oral and written tests in Modern Hebrew, but not Biblical Hebrew. THis requirement has never made any sense to me, even when explained to me by an American Rabbi. Smile
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:13 am
Miller wrote:
Are you saying that Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are very similar? If so, why in the world are the 2 taught in school as separate and distinct? At many Divinity Schools, for a Master's Degree, the candidate must pass two years of Biblical Hebrew.

However, to gain entrance to a US rabbinical college, the candidate must pass oral and written tests in Modern Hebrew, but not Biblical Hebrew. THis requirement has never made any sense to me, even when explained to me by an American Rabbi. Smile
Oops, typo corrected, thanks :-) . You got me right.

Technically, this is the same language. However, a lot of concepts and constructions are obsolete (for example, future tense serves to mark the past, etc.), and the reading is not easy even for Hebrew speakers. However, it's possible. It is like reading original Shakespeare. It's still English, isn't it? But not that trivial to understand.

Academy of Hebrew Language and those who resurrected Hebrew, made tremendous efforts to keep the modern language close to the Biblical one by substituting normally internationalized words to those created from native Hebrew roots, just like the French did. Some of those odd creations survived ("mahshev" = "computer", "reshemkol" = "dictaphone", "hashmal" [probably derived from Biblical term of electron Wink ] = "electricity", etc.), some didn't. Waste of time if you ask me Wink .

Frankly, I don't understand the logic behind the requirements for US rabbinical colleges. Public relations with the mother ship Wink ?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:25 am
Relative to the "mother ship", I'd say you're right. Most Rabbinical colleges, in the past and even in the present, have required their students to spend one year in Israel as part of the Rabbinical program.

Recently, with all of the terrorism, some schools don't force their students to spend the year of study in Israel. As you might know, there is a growing shortage of students entering Rabbinical studies and likewise, there is a growing shortage of American Rabbis. So...it makes sense to keep the students away from terrorist activities, so that they have a fighting chance to finish their studies and to eventually become Rabbis and Cantors.
0 Replies

Frank4YAHWEH

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 06:11 pm
GREEK, HEBREW OR ARAMAIC
Many scholars have come to believe that the so called, "New Testament" was originally penned and inspired in Hebrew or Aramiac.

GREEK, HEBREW, OR ARAMAIC
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2004 11:55 pm
Welcome to A2K, Frank4YAHWEH!

Hmm, if those from your source are the "many scholars" ...
0 Replies