Sandstone formation

vassy

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 07:05 pm
Hi, after little research I conclude that this is a sandstone(correct me if I am wrong) but the question is what is this formation in the middle. It is more hard and every single stone it consts of it.

http://img.dotphoto.com/i/m/7E12BEA0-6FBA-42B8-AE86-544833E67A40/273100686.jpg

http://img.dotphoto.com/i/m/7E8E1407-4AD9-49B6-AB57-6BAA509723A6/273100711.jpg

Thanks

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 907 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 08:19 pm
@vassy,
Looks like sandstone to me.
0 Replies

khajilalajari

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 09:43 pm
The majority sandstone is composed of quartz & feldspar because these are the most common minerals in the Earth's crust.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 05:50 am
@khajilalajari,
we would call this kind of sandstone an "ARKOSE". Whenever it appears that the feldspar is at or more than about 25%.
If its mostly just iron stained quartz grains , we call it an arenite.

You could have either, its hard to tell even when magnified.
Tosee how it was fomed, we really need to look at it ON edge to see the layering because they give information on how it was deposited.
vassy

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 09:43 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for the quick answer, but the question on your answer is how this stone activate metal detector with selection "precious metals"( i know that mostly is iron). Is it possible to have another kind of metals?

Thanks
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 09:55 am
@vassy,
you didnt say that the rock sets off a metal detector. What kind of metal detector? EM/Gaussian/ Magnetometric?

Fe can set off two of them and if youve got a heavy enough concentration of other associates (Ni Ti Ag etc) itll set off a gaussian too (those are the little metal detectors that you use to find coins an stuff at the beach--They have discriminating circuits that are kind of variable in sensitivities (based on the price of the detector and its electronics))
vassy

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 12:42 pm
@farmerman,
Hi, I used Garret ACE 250 for different purpose but it pick up these stones instead. I have sent the stone to laboratory and will find out what it is. What pick up my curiosity is that I found this kind of stones in the ancient roman place and all of them had this hard formation in the middle. I told is result of some kind of heat treatment.
Thanks
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:18 pm
@vassy,
did you use a "pinpointer" to see just where the hit was coming from on the rock? or was it from the soil?
vassy

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:52 pm
@farmerman,
I just scan the area and when start busing I dig little bit, remove the stone and check the same area-nothing. Then I scan the stone and again detector went off. Using this method I found couple of the same stones in the area. I looked the stone with magnifier glass and there was shiny(some white some looks to me yellow)particles. I broke one to small pieces and then I noticed that formation in the middle.
0 Replies