the word plausible, commendatory or derogatory?

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:25 am

Context:

It seems to me entirely plausible that the intentional stance has survival value as a brain mechanism that speeds up decision-making in dangerous circumstances, and in crucial social situations.

The definition of plausible:
plausible ['plɔ:zəble]
adj.
apparently reasonable and valid, and truthful
a plausible excuse
given to or characterized by presenting specious arguments
a plausible liar
-------------------------------------

Definition 1 is commendatory while 2 derogatory?
The plausible in the question uses definition 1?

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:45 am
@oristarA,
Well, is this thread ignored by all?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:12 am
Plausible means "easy to believe". The word itself is neutral, neither commendatory nor derogatory. It is plausible that the man I call 'Dad' is my father; it is plausible that the dog ate the missing meat; it might not be plausible that the dog ate my homework. If a person is a plausible liar then they are a skilled liar, able to invent lies that are easily believed. It is the word 'liar' that is derogatory.
oristarA

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:21 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Excellent.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,

Not sure about that.
Is it not possible to call someone a plausible rogue?
In which case, it would be derogatory. (because it doesn't mean, plausibly he's a rogue. It means he's a con-man and a rogue.)
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:12 am
@McTag,
McTag, read my answer again.
McTag

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 03:43 am
@Tes yeux noirs,

Ok, done. Now you read my post again, and give me your considered opinion.

I'm contending that plausible can be taken to mean shifty, insincere. (as one of its meanings).
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 12:45 pm
A thing or person that is plausible is easily to believe (at the time of hearing or reading) - a plausible story, account, explanation, witness, liar, speechmaker, person. The word is often used to mean "skilfuly deceptive", I agree, but it is not always used this way about a person. A plausible story may turn out to be true or false, and likewise a story told by a plausible person.

McTag

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:52 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,

A fairly grudging agreement then?
Anyway I am content to report that my dictionary, which I consulted only today btw, agrees with me.
0 Replies