Why isn't the world taking action against Israel??

abu afak

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:15 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

"...If there is an element in particular you would like me to address feel free to point it out specifically, otherwise you just come across as using volumes of text you have the skills to paste instead of being able to articulate and defend a position.

OK .. considering the Text of Oslo.. which doesn't bar settelements and makes tham a 'Fianl Status Issue'.....

AND the Text and meaning of Resolution 242.. which always foresaw Israel taking some of the 1967 line to Achieve "Secure and Recognized" Boundaries...

and the fact that there was no 'Sovereign'/Soverignh nation 'occupied' to apply the Geneva Convention to..

Those are 3 points I would like you to address.

Since You asked. .. Go ahead.. show us your stuff.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:22 am
abu afak wrote:

OK .. considering the Text of Oslo.. which doesn't bar settelements and makes tham a 'Fianl Status Issue'.....

1) Are you changing the subject from occupation to settlements? You do realize they are wholly different legal issues?

2) Oslo is a framework for resolution with a timeline. It is not a basis for any legality at all. You demonstrate your profound ignorance of international law by referencing Oslo agreements in the framework of a legal discussion.

See, it may surprise you, but Oslo is not law.

Quote:
AND the Text and meaning of Resolution 242.. which always foresaw Israel taking some of the 1967 line to Achieve "Secure and Recognized" Boundaries...

This sentence makes no sense. What the Devil do you mean to say by "taking some of the 1967 line"? Laughing

Quote:
and the fact that there was no 'Sovereign'/Soverignh nation 'occupied' to apply the Geneva Convention to..

You again demonstrate ignorance of law, as sovereignty is not a prerequisite to the stipulations on military occupation in Geneva.

Quote:

I'd addressed the last one. You are simply not aware of law, and seem to thing that the territorial ambiguity negates the stipulations of Geneva.

Thing is, you have no basis upon which to do so because there is none.

Quote:

Let's keep this PG-13 and on-topic.
0 Replies

abu afak

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:27 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
abu afak wrote:

1) Are you changing the subject from occupation to settlements? You do realize they are wholly different legal issues?

2) Oslo is a framework for resolution with a timeline. It is not a basis for any legality at all. You demonstrate your profound ignorance of international law by referencing Oslo agreements in the framework of a legal discussion.

See, it may surprise you, but Oslo is not law.

Quote:

This sentence makes no sense. What the Devil do you mean to say by "taking some of the 1967 line"? Laughing

Quote:

You again demonstrate ignorance of law, as sovereignty is not a prerequisite to the stipulations on military occupation in Geneva.

Quote:

I'd addressed the last one. You are simply not aware of law, and seem to thing that the territorial ambiguity negates the stipulations of Geneva.

Thing is, you have no basis upon which to do so because there is none.

Quote:

Let's keep this PG-13 and on-topic.

No guy.. if you understand the Conflict .. the two issues are almost the same.

Settlements are not 'illegal' and there is NO 'Occupation' if the land is 'Disputed'. Which it IS pending Final Staus negotiation under Oslo AND Resolution 242's similarly demanded talks.

Nice try at deflection tho.. I hope my posts/knowledge have at least given you some hints to answre with now.

The 3 still remain...
Tho I have at least expalined the relationship.. The relationship you would know if you understood the Conflict and it's issues.

Now do some research and I'll come and teach you again tomorrow.

bye
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 03:36 am
abu afak wrote:
No guy.. if you understand the Conflict .. the two issues are almost the same.

Not in a legal sense.

Occupation refers to the military occupation of the territories and the authority over the population.

Quote:
Settlements are not 'illegal' and there is NO 'Occupation' if the land is 'Disputed'.

a) Some settlements are deemed illegal by Israel itself.
b) To assert that there is no occupation if land is disputed is a falsehood. This is why you can't substantiate this claim.

Quote:
Which it IS pending Final Staus negotiation under Oslo AND Resolution 242's similarly demanded talks.

This is yet another nonsensical sentence that shares no relation to the legality of military occupation.

Quote:
Nice try at deflection tho.. I hope my posts/knowledge have at least given you some hints to answre with now.

The 3 stiull remain.

<smiles>

If neither knowledgable or enlightening at least entertaining. I bid you a good night/day.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:53 am
Whoa!!!

Is it still Craven, the guy with the rotating avatars?
Craven de Kere wrote:
Galilite wrote:
Maybe because political rhetorics and legal terms do not always converge.
While this is certainly a possibility in general it is also certainly not the case here. It takes a special kind of blind ideologue to assert that Israel has not occupied territories and to ignore the clearly delineated legality in the particular case.

Quote:
Legal status of Israel and Palestinian authority is difficult to define.
Only for those with a weak understanding of international law.

OK, I admit, I don't speak lawyerese.

Perhaps you'll enlighten me here.
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:
Some of these territories were parts of Jordan and Egypt, and later these countries refused to have those back.
This does not, in any way, reflect on whether Israel occupies illegally or not. It's just a feel-good argument meant to deflect from Israel's acts by bringing up string-for-a-backbone cowardice and passing the buck on the part of some Arab leaders.
I'll pretend I didn't notice the last sentence.

But why not? Is that because
Craven de Kere wrote:
Occupation refers to the military occupation of the territories and the authority over the population.
?
Again, I don't speak lawyerese. Is that how you define it or how it is defined by UN, ICJ, etc.

If a state A formerly possessed these lands, and now doesn't want them, while it is not very noble of a state B to use those if they are populated, but is it occupation in the regular sense?

You also mentioned "occupies illegally". Is there such thing as "legal occupation"? If yes, wait, don't tell... that was the case with Egypt and Jordan, right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
Galilite wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Legal status of Israel and Palestinian authority is difficult to define.
Only for those with a weak understanding of international law.

OK, I admit, I don't speak lawyerese.

Perhaps you'll enlighten me here.

Basically, what I am alluding to is that the ambiguity of the territory issues is not something that eliminates the legal status of occupation.

Israel has occupied both ambiguously defined territory and non-ambiguous territory in the past.

That the Palestinian territories are not clearly defined as sovereign terriory of the Palestinians doesn't negate that Israel has clearly occupied the territories as it's not clearly defined as sovereign Israeli territory either.

Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Quote:
Some of these territories were parts of Jordan and Egypt, and later these countries refused to have those back.
This does not, in any way, reflect on whether Israel occupies illegally or not. It's just a feel-good argument meant to deflect from Israel's acts by bringing up string-for-a-backbone cowardice and passing the buck on the part of some Arab leaders.

Not a slight on you, a slight on the Arab leaders you referenced. Their self-interests have often harmed the situation, and I assert that it is because of cowardice and feeble spines at those moments.

Thing is, those episodes of their faults do not negate the legal status of occupation.

Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
?
Again, I don't speak lawyerese. Is that how you define it or how it is defined by UN, ICJ, etc.

Neither my definition nor that of the UN and co.

Military occupation is really straightforward. Perhaps if you can give a definition that you operate with I can clarify the differences.

Quote:
If a state A formerly possessed these lands, and now doesn't want them, while it is not very noble of a state B to use those if they are populated, but is it occupation in the regular sense?

It is occupation if it a state's military rules areas outside of their sovereign territory.

Israel does not include the Palestinian teritories in their sovereign terriotry under any criteria, you may note that the democratic state of Israel does not extend a vote to residents in those territories and other such clear examples of it being outside of their regular sovereign territory.

Quote:
You also mentioned "occupies illegally". Is there such thing as "legal occupation"?

Yes, there is. And Israel has legally occupied territories at times.

Quote:
If yes, wait, don't tell... that was the case with Egypt and Jordan, right?

Egypt and Jordan's occupation was of a very different nature from hostile military occupation. In their cases legality is defined exclusively by settlement over disputes over their authority and not the legal criteria for military occupation.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:44 pm
Craven,
I have to take exception to this statement of yours..."It is occupation if it a state's military rules areas outside of their sovereign territory."

That is not entirely correct.
The USAF has bases in almost every country in the pacific rim.The USAF controls those bases,and "rules" those areas.Now,those bases are outside of US sovereign territory.Are you going to go so far as to say that EVERY US military base outside of the US is an occupation?
Judging by your definition of "occupation",then you have to answer the question yes.
Of course,that means you would have to ignore all of the treaties we have signed,the leases of the property those bases are on,and all of the other LEGAL ways we have established those bases,but if you wanna do that,I'll let you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Craven,
I have to take exception to this statement of yours..."It is occupation if it a state's military rules areas outside of their sovereign territory."

That is not entirely correct.
The USAF has bases in almost every country in the pacific rim.The USAF controls those bases,and "rules" those areas.Now,those bases are outside of US sovereign territory.Are you going to go so far as to say that EVERY US military base outside of the US is an occupation?
Judging by your definition of "occupation",then you have to answer the question yes.
Of course,that means you would have to ignore all of the treaties we have signed,the leases of the property those bases are on,and all of the other LEGAL ways we have established those bases,but if you wanna do that,I'll let you.

mysteryman,

You might want to note that not all occupation is illegal.

Furthermore, you might want to note that the US does not "rule" in the examples you cite, they are granted limited autonomy by through agreement.
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 04:20 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Basically, what I am alluding to is that the ambiguity of the territory issues is not something that eliminates the legal status of occupation.

Israel has occupied both ambiguously defined territory and non-ambiguous territory in the past.
True.
Craven de Kere wrote:
Galilite wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
It's just a feel-good argument meant to deflect from Israel's acts by bringing up string-for-a-backbone cowardice and passing the buck on the part of some Arab leaders.
Not a slight on you, a slight on the Arab leaders you referenced. Their self-interests have often harmed the situation, and I assert that it is because of cowardice and feeble spines at those moments.
OK, I guess it's misunderstanding on my part. I apologize.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Military occupation is really straightforward. Perhaps if you can give a definition that you operate with I can clarify the differences.
OK. As I understand, occupation is military invasion into a sovereign country with explicitly defined borders and holding it under control.

In case of Taiwan, for example, I don't think Chinese invasion can be classified as occupation (because most countries don't recognize it as sovereign country), even though my personal sympathy would be on Taiwan's side (yes, I understand, the situation is very different there).
Craven de Kere wrote:
It is occupation if it a state's military rules areas outside of their sovereign territory.
Hmm... Makes sense, I guess.
Craven de Kere wrote:
Israel does not include the Palestinian teritories in their sovereign terriotry under any criteria, you may note that the democratic state of Israel does not extend a vote to residents in those territories and other such clear examples of it being outside of their regular sovereign territory.
Quote:
You also mentioned "occupies illegally". Is there such thing as "legal occupation"?
Yes, there is. And Israel has legally occupied territories at times.
You mean, Sinai during the Six-Day War?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:05 pm
Galilite wrote:
OK. As I understanding, occupation is military invasion into a sovereign country with explicitly defined borders and holding it under control.

I am aware of no legal criteria that stipulates that the occupied territory must be a sovereign nation, just that it not be part of the sovereign land of the occupying army.

And to clarify, "rule" means to rule the people, not just have autonomous control of one's own people in a designated area (e.g. mysteryman's example, as in those examples the US only "rules" the US soldiers and not the host populace).

Quote:
In case of Taiwan, for example, I don't think Chinese invasion can be classified as occupation (because most countries don't recognize it as sovereign country), even though my personal sympathy would be on Taiwan's side (yes, I understand, the situation is very different there).

Not because Taiwan is not sovereign territory of its own, but rather because it is sovereign Chinese territory under the status quo (though my sympathies are with Taiwan as well, I used to live there prior to the handover China agreed on with the Brits and they do quite well under their rule).

Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
And Israel has legally occupied territories at times.
You mean, Sinai during the Six-Day War?

There Anglo/Franco Sianai grab would probably be deemed illegal and the subsequent occupation questionable. But yes, the 6-day is on much more solid legal footing, with the only big question mark being the validity of the pre-emption (I think it was legally valid).
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:33 am
I found this site,its called "imagine"
Look at it and then tell me Israel is wrong in trying to protect themselves...
http://198.173.255.220/imagine/imagine_n.html
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 08:30 am
Why suffer this Hareega character? His remarks are right out of the terrorist's playbook of anti-Israel propaganda. He knows the so-called World Court is a sham...with no authority whatsoever and populated by the same monsters who have looked the other way on the genocide in Sudan for over 10 years. This is the same outfit that threatened to bring our Coalition forces up for war crimes in Iraq.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:19 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I found this site,its called "imagine"
Look at it and then tell me Israel is wrong in trying to protect themselves...
http://198.173.255.220/imagine/imagine_n.html

Thank you.
I would be interested in seeing its Palestinian counterpart.... Maybe the mock up they have of the Sabarro pizza parlor.... Sad

And Abu, you will learn that Craven does not believe in facts garnered from the internet. He believes in bitch slapping pontification. It's a psychological thing. Best to let him rant and not satisfy the evil urge.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
That's a lie Moishe3rd. I believe everything on the internet. ;-)

And if that wasn't your attempt at "bitch slapping pontification"...

Laughing

It's pretty clearly an attempt to get in an insult our of frustration of not having been able to refute my arguments, and as such says more about you than me. Heck, I wasn't even responding to the latest posts or even involved, seems you've a bit of a grudge.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 02:20 pm
The world is slowly awakening to the perfidy,duplicity and utter horror committed by and sponsored by Islamo-facists. They threaten and slaughter thier own people and use their innocents as human shields in such places as Falujah and elsewhere. It comes as no surprise that their tenacles reach to all types of media including forums like this one dedicated to spreading malicious falsehoods and hatred toward Israel. The entire freeworld is uniting and rising up to bring all of them to Justice.
0 Replies