What is this?

SirJoe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 06:43 pm
My dad found this 6 or so years ago and I recently found it in a box and asked him about it and he doesn't know. Its pretty heavy for its size 5-6 pounds? You can see where it chipped its kinda shiny, any idea what this is?

http://imgur.com/na9JeXn,ocLzKeN#1

Two images in this link.

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:39 pm
@SirJoe,
It even looks like a meteorite. BUT, ya need to do some testing

1Its heavy and magnetic right?

2Do a streak test. SCratch it on the bottom (unglazed part) of a coffee mug. If it leaves a red or black streak its probably NOT a meteorite

3Get some dimethylglyoxime. (You can buy Nickel allergy test kits but you have to mess with em.
Put a drop of weak HYDROCHLORIC ACID (WEAK and donte touch t its very caustic). Let the rock sit with th drop on it for a few minutes
Then take a cue tip with sme of the Nickel allrgy test solution (Or dimethylgyoxime) and touch the rop. If it turns pink you have a meteorite son.

THEN Id take it to a real expert on meteorites and see about making an txhed slab (You can bring out the crystal pattern of the various valence states of Ni and Iron.
These are called WIDMENSTATTEN PATTERNS (look em up they are distinct meteorite evidence)
Im no expert on meteorites but Ive seen enough in my work . It may not be , and may just be a hunk of raw iron ore like magnetite or Niccolite
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 07:42 pm
@SirJoe,
if it has any , kind of, thumb print looking indentations. (These we call "REGGIES" -regmoglypts)
0 Replies

SirJoe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 08:15 pm
@farmerman,
It is heavy but the only magnet I have is from a stereo speaker and it does not appear to be magnetic. I did a streak test and it did leave a black streak when against the black part of it, I scratched the silvery part in the other photo against it and it did not leave a streak. I don't know if that matters or not. The only thing I have related to Hydrochloric acid is iron 3. Given that the previous two tests seem like a bust, should I even bother with the allergy test?
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:32 pm
@SirJoe,
No, its not a meteorite. Thesecond photo looks remarkably like a piece of Serpentine or rhyolite, and the metallic part may be some ore of chrome . SO, did your dad find this anywhere in th US?
SirJoe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:38 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah he found this years back by his work. In California.
0 Replies