americans abuse children in iraq jails!!!

Col Man

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:23 pm
As a reaction to the alleged torture of children, Norwegian authorities state they will address the US both politically and diplomatically and clearly state that it is not tolerated.

German television aired footage of American abuse of children in jails in Iraq Monday. [/u]

«Such assaults are unacceptable,» said Odd Jostein Sæter, parliamentary secretary at the Prime Minister's Office, to the Norwegian television channel NRK. «It is against international laws and it is also unacceptable from a moral point of view. This is why we react strongly, as we already have reacted to the abuse which is documented at the prisons in Iraq.»

He said that Norwegian authorities will use its first possible opportunity to respond to the Americans actions both politically and diplomatically. He stressed that jailing and assaulting children will not be tolerated.

«We are addressing this in a very severe and direct way and present concrete demands,» Sætre said. «This is damaging the struggle for democracy and human rights in Iraq.»

Norwegian authorities are going to review the report of the alleged assaults.

The Norwegian branch of Amnesty International states that Norway can not continue its military collaboration with the US in light of the alleged torture of children.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 776 • Replies: 9
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:44 pm
Do you have a source for this?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:11 pm
Link to UN US IRAQ version 7. Story is there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:28 pm
Thanks Adrian,

First thought, the author needs to develop a working relationship with the word allegedly. Rolling Eyes

Second thought, if true the criminals should be punished to the maximum extent allowed by law. Evil or Very Mad

Third thought, it saddens me that idiots are going to reference this story, true or false, as if it exemplifies the brave men and women who are the United States Military. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:28 pm
yeah man i saw it here

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article249696.ece

seems that only the norwegians picked up on this one
just thought it was something shcking to post here Wink

check out adrians link too bill its a similar theme also funnily enough from a nowegian source

strange how this news never made it to the uk or the usa ...

by the way on a more lighter note i only saw this abuse story cos i was looking at a more funny story at this link : http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article250240.ece
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:30 pm
damn you people are too quick for me Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:59 pm
It has been in the German news since Sunday - and of course, no-one talks about that be now any more.

I didn't see the film. (Actually: I didn't want to see it.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:09 pm
By your estimation, Walter, is it legitimate? Seems the story would explode if it were.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:17 pm
There might be something behind it - as said, I didn't watch, and it didn't get much coverage.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:52 pm
If military police broke in upon the assault of the 15 year old girl and put a stop to it, systematic abuse is not indicated.

The US Army does not consist exclusively of decent young men and women. In any group of 130,000 people there will be a percentage of miscreants and criminals.

There is no excusing such abuse, but it would be disingenuous to condemn the entire US military for the criminal acts of a few soldiers.

Surely there are miscreants and criminals (even - gasp - some pedophiles) in Norway. To condemn all Norwegians as a result though would be ridiculous.

If these acts of abuse are being ignored by US Military authorities then it is, indeed, an outrage. The linked story is short on details but suggests otherwise.

If 100's of Iraqi children are imprisoned, let alone abused, it is an outrage.

Anything is possible, but I will need to see a lot more evidence than is provided by these articles, before I believe it.

The fact that the abuse at abu Ghraib did occur makes it easy to assume that additional abuse is being committed, and difficult to defend the US military, but proof of abu Ghraib was required and proof of these allegation is required as well.
0 Replies