why does my kitten smell so bad??

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:08 pm
Welcome to A2K, lilly!

Have you checked his breath? How's that?
Is the smell only from his bottom & his poo?
Have you tried a good quality dried cat food, like Iams? Raw food? Do they make any difference?
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:20 pm
Its not his breath its the other end.

Its not all the time, His Poo smells really really bad and i think the other times must be when he passes wind or something.

He was on Iams, i live in Australia so I feed him Science Diet (dont know if you have that overseas) but its the best cat food you can get here.

he doesnt drink milk often... and if he does its the special kind for cats. I have tried different brands of food and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Apart from that he is really really healthy, he never sneezes, his eyes are bright and clear he is a good looking cat.

I just dont get it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:28 pm
Neither do I, lilly. It sounds like you're doing all the right things! Er, you sure this isn't just "boy cat" smells? Or the AMOUNT he's eating, or something basic like that?

(psst BTW, I'm from Melbourne! Very Happy )
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:46 pm
That i was thinking, he is a typical boy too.

Just thought i would post it here and see if i woud recive any new ideas.

I like Bill's suggestion, maybe he is just a stinky breed.
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:47 pm
He doesnt eat too much either, and he will eat a little bit of his food then run around and then go eat some more

I dont feed him much, so i dont he is an over eater...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:20 am
lilly_456 wrote:
Its not his breath its the other end.

Its not all the time, His Poo smells really really bad and i think the other times must be when he passes wind or something.

He was on Iams, i live in Australia so I feed him Science Diet (dont know if you have that overseas) but its the best cat food you can get here.

he doesnt drink milk often... and if he does its the special kind for cats. I have tried different brands of food and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Apart from that he is really really healthy, he never sneezes, his eyes are bright and clear he is a good looking cat.

I just dont get it.

Sounds like a gastrointestinal problem. Confused
0 Replies

nolanguagenrlungs

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:49 am
he might be allergic to animal protein. Some dogs are.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
A final suggestion. Perhaps the kitten is dead. Dead kittens smell really bad. Check for signs of life.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 03:05 pm
Lilly
Welcome to A2K.

It may be that he cannot tolerate milk, in any form. Try just leaving him water for a while, and see how he goes. ??worming??

None of the activities you describe are strange for a kitten. Himself to the left does all those and more and is past kittenhood (but still kitten-silly!)

Remember the water restrictions - no showering with a cat! (or is that only on Sunday mornings - I can't remember all the details! Confused )

MsOlga is the font of all cat-knowledge in OZ! Razz
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:50 pm
NickFun wrote:
A final suggestion. Perhaps the kitten is dead. Dead kittens smell really bad. Check for signs of life.

I know he isnt dead, when he chews my toes in the morning...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:59 pm
NickFun wrote:

Really helpful, Nick! Not funny.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:02 pm
It may be that he cannot tolerate milk, in any form. Try just leaving him water for a while, and see how he goes. ??worming??

Yes, I was thinking that, too, margo. Eliminate the milk for a while, lilly & see what happens.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:10 pm
margo wrote:
MsOlga is the font of all cat-knowledge in OZ! Razz

Second only to ms margo in Sydney! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:03 pm
Well, there was Moggy on Abuzz, not to mention CD with Mable. Somebody run out and get CD over here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
I remember CD, Roger! Very Happy Is she still Abuzzing?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:10 pm
I've checked out the most recent two pages twice this month, msolga, and didn't see her. That sure doesn't prove she isn't active. She used to pop up on ravensrealm, if you recall.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:13 pm
Yes, Roger. We exchanged emails for a while, too. I wonder how Mabel's going? Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:51 pm
You've got her address? Get to inviting!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:35 am
<sigh> I HAD her address, roger, before my computer crashed! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
I think she had a Yahoo address.
0 Replies