why does my kitten smell so bad??

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:18 pm
Hi everyone, I went to a Homeless Cat shelter a couple of months ago and got my kitten from there. We are not sure how old he is, probably about 6 months or so. He was an abondoned kitten that was given to the cat shelter. He has been desexed and vaccinated, and tested for everything.

He is a great kitten, really playful, very healthy, but there is one problem... He has an odour problem. It's not all the time, its not a constant problem, but quite frequently he just smells really bad. And his kitty litter stinks sooo bad when its dirty

I have tried all different diets. At the moment he is on the science diet kitten food, and gets regular kitten milk aswell. Occasionally I feed him the canned kitten food but it is always the premium brands.

Every one keeps telling me its his diet, but He is on the best diet a kitten could be. Others just tell me that the males species always smell worse than the females...

any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,372 • Replies: 45
No top replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:23 pm
Oh yeah, i live in Sydney, Australia

so i dont think its a skunk problem...

My kitten is in my apartment most of the time, but gets taken outside frequently but always under supervision....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:27 pm
Maybe it's a kitten thing? I really don't know what to tell you except to bring him into the vet (which you may well have already done).
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:32 pm
He was checked out by a vet when i got him from the cat centre. There is a vet on duty there, that gave him a complete check up

But that was a few weeks ago. So i just wasnt sure how serious the problem is.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:34 pm
Could the kitten have an intestinal problem?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:35 pm
I don't know, but it's not a kitten or specifically a tom kitten problem. I got both my youngest within the past two years as kittens, and no bad smell.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:57 pm
Almost forgot. My previous cat developed a terrible smell before he died. That is typical of kidney failure, but yours is way to young for that kind of problem, lilly.

On general principles, I would quit giving him milk. He is too old to need it, but I can't imagine this is related to the problem.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:01 pm
diabetes can cause bad breath, but not so much at the other end.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:04 pm
Maybe I should consider mouthwash, then.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:18 pm
It could be a kidney infection. No cat no matter how young is immune. Take him to a vet that specializes in stinky cats.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:33 pm
Find out if he's in the Felis domesticus family of cats. If he is there's nothing you can do about it. That breed just stinks.

Sometimes they do the strangest things, too.
check this out.
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
Well he does strange really strange things too.

He loves water, when i am having shower he sits by the door, sometimes i leave it open for him, and he paws the drops of water,

And he bounces, i dont get the bouncing thing though. Its like he is pouncing on something, then you go to see if there is something there, like a moth or a bug, but there isnt anything there...

he does lots of weird things, i just thought it was a kitten thing, buy you could be right...
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:57 pm
I had an old cat with a kidney infection, but he shows no other signs of sickness.

He runs around, very playful, he hasnt got a temperature, his nose is never hot,...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:59 pm
Lilly, those are not strange things. Not for a cat.
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
I had cat before this one and he died when he was 19.

Maybe i am just not used to the kitten thing...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
Sometimes you can ask your vet questions over the phone without incurring any more costly visits.

kitty smell could mean stomach trouble
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:53 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Find out if he's in the Felis domesticus family of cats. If he is there's nothing you can do about it. That breed just stinks.

Sometimes they do the strangest things, too.
check this out.

Now that's just unfair Bill. Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:58 pm
Which part?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:02 pm
If I must say, the link there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL