Female genital Mutilation

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:16 pm
Hi there,

I would like to challenge Africans to come in the open and discuss issues that affect their daily lives including female genital mutilation. How long will we be silent and indifferent to our sisters' suffering in the name of Culture?
Let's discuss this further
Angelafi
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,244 • Replies: 25
No top replies

AngelAfi

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:18 pm
I am interested in discussing FGM TOO
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:38 pm
There have been and are movements to put an end to this. Many articles, too. Why don't you formulate what bothers you most or post some more specific questions/points for debate? We can take it from there.
0 Replies

clubafrika

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 02:57 pm
It's still practiced in my country Kenya. But the sisters are fighting back !!

Edit (Moderator): Signature Lines may not include links or references to websites
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:04 pm
Who are "the sisters"?
0 Replies

clubafrika

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm
The more elightened and educated.

As the older generation dies away, the younger men are toeing the line too !!

Edit (Moderator): Signature Lines may not include links or references to websites
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:42 pm
That is great news, Clubafrika - and welcome.
0 Replies

ngei

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:27 am
Female genital multilatio
Are they women or girls still doing this practice in Africa? If yes for what good it is to their health in this modern world.Can some one who did it give me her experiences
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
Welcome ngei & clubafrica. Very Happy

I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:32 am
The thought of it sickens me. Those who practice it should be spayed or neutered, like the animals they are.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:32 am
I know Im too old but if someone even suggested otdo that to me, theyd have a huge fight on thier hands.

Good luck with achieving the goal.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
why dont people fight circumcision like this?

Cutting off a piece of a mans penis is just as brutal as cutting off the labia of a woman.

Granted, FGM in african tribes also includes cutting off most of the clitoris wich usually effects the womans ability to urinate. This causes HUGE infections and kills a great number of women.

Circumcision usually does not cause this .. unless it is done in an unsterile environment .

But, we still think it is ok to mutilate a mans penis, remove a PIECE of it and it is acceptable?!
Yet, for a woman it isnt?
I am NTO SAYING it is ok to do this to a woman. Do not mistake my post for being a pro-FGM.
I think it is a horrible , unnecessary thing to do.

I just wonder why noone fights for mens genitals like this?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
like the animals they are? are you serious? Shocked

it is a cruel and despicable practice and i am whole-heartedly against it. but one does have to know the culture, history, and mythology around. there are plenty resources online. just google it, learn a little, then formulate statements.

as with male circumcision or female feet binding in china, about which we know a some more in the west than about fgm...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:55 am
that was a response to cjhsa...i guess that wasn't clear at all from my post.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
I do not understand why it could ever be thought necessary to mutilate the genitalia of children of either sex....and actually I really dont want to know.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:05 am
Actually, I have no problem with circumcision, as it doesn't affect a man's ability to enjoy sex. Removal of the clitoris, which is what we're talking about here, is a barbaric, animalistic practice, that as Shewolf said, kills many women.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
Removal of th clitoris!!!!

I just thought they sewed up the vaginal entrance just enough so menstruel blood could get through!!!

Removing the clitoris, jesus, I suppose its down to religion and men not wanting women to enjoy sex!!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:10 am
yes, it does seem uncomprehensible from where we are, at this time in history... good old chastity belts seem harmless compared to that.

luckily there are growing women groups that save girls from mutilation - sort of asylum houses - i know mostly about kenya and egypt. hopefully the women and human rights movement will achieve its abolishment from law and practice soon. it's a process that's on its way. rape was outlawed only recently in some african countries (liberia at least), thus the road ahead for women's rights will still be long. but at least many africans are stirred up and working hard at promoting rights and educating others.

what bothers me is how little we know yet how fast we are to flatly denounce things, without making any effort to know more. as if we were some superior human beings that can preach from pulpits.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:11 am
MG, female genital mutilation has various forms - in some cases it's clitoris, in others it's the vaginal entrance.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
I dont htink pointless mutilation of a very personal part of the human anatomy has to be thought about.

If it is of some benefit then the child can grow up, become an adult and have it done when they are old enough to make the decision.

I think what angers me more is that somebody else makes the choice for the child.
0 Replies