Something is fishy re Marine supposedly held Hostage

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:09 am
Disingenuous, doglover. Take a little mental trip here. Assume the Afghanistan operation had been undertaken as it was, but that Saddam had not been eliminated. Where would be the logical refuge of the surviving displaced al Queda, Taliban, and assorted jihadists? That Iraq is where many went even in the face of almost certain US intervention there, as well as the many who continued to flock there despite the attack and subsequent occupation should tell you something. Iraq is not "Bush's War", it is one aspect of The War on Terrorism, and indeed is a critical component of the struggle.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
timberlandko wrote:
Disingenuous, doglover. Take a little mental trip here. Assume the Afghanistan operation had been undertaken as it was, but that Saddam had not been eliminated. Where would be the logical refuge of the surviving displaced al Queda, Taliban, and assorted jihadists? That Iraq is where many went even in the face of almost certain US intervention there, as well as the many who continued to flock there despite the attack and subsequent occupation should tell you something. Iraq is not "Bush's War", it is one aspect of The War on Terrorism, and indeed is a critical component of the struggle.

No mental trips here timberland...I'll leave that to President Bush. Lets not assume anything. You don't put our military in harms way to be killed or wounded based on speculation...what if's. Iraq has absolutely nothing to do with the War on Terrorism. If you want to believe Bush and his administrations lies, there is nothing I can do to change your mind. Thank God fewer and fewer Americans are believing this Administrations lies and Bush will be elected out of office in November.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:24 am
so it seems, doglover.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28590&highlight=

(sorry, i was back at abuzz and got confused about names)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:05 am
doglover, I understand some don't, or choose not to, see the connection. Now this is just my opinion, of course, but I find it fortunate those in a position to take meaningful, necessary action do see the connection and act accordingly. No speculation whatsoever is involved with the determination of the Post-Taliban refuge of those self-declared to be at, and actively prosecuting, war against Civilization, Liberty, and Justice. The Left, in particular as personified by those consumed with Bush-hatred, by their own misaprehensions, words and actions marginalize themselves, and increasingly so the more shrill and strident they become. That is fortunate, too; it assures the reigns of power will remain in responsible hands.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:22 am
timberlandko wrote:
doglover, I understand some don't, or choose not to, see the connection.

I do not see the connection timberland. It's not because I choose not to see it. I wish credible evidence would be found so that the over 1,000 U.S troops would not have died in vain...as it is now, they have. No evidence has been presented to me to cause me to believe Iraq/Saddam are linked to Al Queada and terrorism.

Quote:
Now this is just my opinion, of course, but I find it fortunate those in a position to take meaningful, necessary action do see the connection and act accordingly.

I have yet to see meaningful thought on the part of President Bush. Only hair trigger reaction with little diplomacy.

Quote:
No speculation whatsoever is involved with the determination of the Post-Taliban refuge of those self-declared to be at, and actively prosecuting, war against Civilization, Liberty, and Justice.

The Taliban are, for the most part two bit thugs. They have been adequately disbanded and disarmed. Osama, on the other hand, is still at large and President Bush doesn't seem very concerned with finding him and bringing him to justice. That is, in my opinion, the heart of George Bush's failing us as a country and jeopardizing our security.

Quote:
The Left, in particular as personified by those consumed with Bush-hatred, by their own misaprehensions, words and actions marginalize themselves, and increasingly so the more shrill and strident they become. That is fortunate, too; it assures the reigns of power will remain in responsible hands.

Correction timerland...I do not hate George Bush. I voted for him in 2000. That is a cop out the right uses to stereotype the left. Sure some Americans (both right and left) hate Bush and his administration. Several families who have lost sons and daughters in the Iraqi war no doubt. Rather than hate him, I believe he is partly misguided in his beliefs, partly not intelligent enough to evaluate the situation and react properly, lacks diplomatic skills and has ulterior motives for going to war with Iraq. I am not shrill but I am strident. I look forward to November and even moreso to January 2005 when this country will once again be in the control of responsible, capable hands.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 11:52 am
timberlandko wrote:
Assume the Afghanistan operation had been undertaken as it was, but that Saddam had not been eliminated. Where would be the logical refuge of the surviving displaced al Queda, Taliban, and assorted jihadists? That Iraq is where many went even in the face of almost certain US intervention there, as well as the many who continued to flock there despite the attack and subsequent occupation should tell you something. Iraq is not "Bush's War", it is one aspect of The War on Terrorism, and indeed is a critical component of the struggle.

You say that Iraq is where these guys went in the face of almost certain U.S. intervention. How does that back up your point? I would argue that the almost certain intervention in Iraq is what drew them to Iraq.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:06 pm
I respect your right to hold and express your position, doglover, I just can't share it. BTW, I did not ascribe to you in persona and particular the attribute of Bush-Hating, but note your somewhat stereotypically knee-jerk response to an imagined slight. It is precisely such misapprehension that I see most instrumental in the inevitable failure of The Opposition to prevail come November.

kickycan, at the time they began fleeing Afghanistan, US/Coalition intervention in Iraq was not a consideration; they went where they were welcome, and many went where they could get to without passports or other documentation, and despite being under international indictment for a variety of crimes, violent and otherwise, a personal circumstance greatly restricting one's migrational opportunities. aA I said, their chief destination-of-choice, in preference even to Pakistan, Syria, Chechnya, The Balkans, or Iran, says a lot; it works for me. That it works for The Current Administration works for me too.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
Do you have any documentation on that? How do you know that terrorists didn't go to Pakistan, Syria, Chechnya or Iran?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:12 pm
Many did go elsewhere, kickycan, it has been well documented. Also well documented is that thousands of foreign nationals, many with ties to al Queda, the Taliban, or other jihadist groups, many of whom too are known to have been in Taliban Afghanistan, are among the identified dead, captured, and wanted within Iraq.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
Whats is the possibility that this was a money making deal for the kidnappers and not politically/ideologically inspired. A local gang may have decided his lebanese relatives were good for some quick ransom cash
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:45 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Many did go elsewhere, kickycan, it has been well documented. Also well documented is that thousands of foreign nationals, many with ties to al Queda, the Taliban, or other jihadist groups, many of whom too are known to have been in Taliban Afghanistan, are among the identified dead, captured, and wanted within Iraq.

But you said that Iraq was their first choice, even before the buildup to the war in Iraq. If you could provide at least one news story that backs this up, I'd be willing to take your claim more seriously.
0 Replies