Damn dog got skunked

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:01 pm
Well, she isn't so old that she can't protect her yard from a vicious baby skunk (wah!). Poor little critter. Bootsie got skunked. She's had a vinegar and baking soda bath, she's been shampoo'd with t-gel (pine tar) shampoo, she been told NONONO and BAD DOG.

Anyway. She stinks to the high heavens and so does the death scene. Any more tips (besides tomato juice) for getting the smell to at least mellow? How long should I expect her to reek? It's raining, will that clear the yard of skunkie molecules? Do skunks 'play dead'? If they do, for how long should I wait until I bag it? Until it's stiff?

Sheesh, ya'd think that I wouldn't have to worry about this sh*t with a crippled dog in the middle of a city..... mutter mutter mutter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,121 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
My Grand Puppies are highly territorial, dumb dogs (in a fenced yard, yet). They go looking for trouble through the fence.

My daughter-in-law swears by Nature's Miracle, available at pet stores.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:39 pm
Was Bootsie bitten or scratched? If so, contact the vet - as you know, skunks can carry rabies.

Hmm - you need a strong-smelling cleaner, one that won't hurt her. Yeah, working with a pet supply place should be helpful. When Jake was skunked, I can't recall what we did, but he was wearing an e-collar at the time and so the plastic absorbed quite a bit of the stink.

Oy, I wish I could be more helpful.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 03:48 pm
Oh no!! Poor littlek, poor Bootsie.

I had a samoyed who got skunked and tomato juice was all we had. It wasn't very effective and we had to take her to the vet--can you imagine all that fur???

After the bath, she came out glowing, knowing how beautiful she looked!

As for the skunk--I don't think they play dead--they really aren't afraid of much. Can't you have some agency get it? Skunk catchers? Anybody but you?????
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:05 pm
Thanks all.

This happened in my little tiny fenced city yard. Skunks (mostly), racoons and cats all have made little tunnels under the fence (wood plank) and use the capped top of the fence as a super-critter-highway.

She is actually smelling a bit better than the basement and back hallway.... I mopped the back hall floor even. Nature's Miracle is good for pee and poop neutralizing, but I dunno about it's effectiveness against skunk spray.

She didn't appear to have been bitten or scratched, but she is up-to-date on her rabbies shots.

I double plastic bagged it. My sister asked why I didn't burry it. Why the hell didn't I think of burrying it? Should I get it and burry it now <crinkled nose>?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
Believe me, Nature's Miracle works on skunk--at least on skunk spray on stupid dogs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:21 pm
I'll check it out (my sister has some)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:51 pm
A neighbour of hamburger's recently recommended this combo:

Skunk Spray Removal Recipe:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid soap (laundry or dishwashing soap)

I found it at the havahart site as well.

http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/skunks/skunk_odor.htm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:53 pm
That's more along the lines that I used. I hope the vinegar (which I poured into bath water and then put straight onto the poor stinker) wasn't too strong for her. She SEEMS ok right now, just stinky.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
and i'd think a dead skunk anywhere on your property could be a problem. burying it nearby seems to be just asking for trouble ...

the absolute most sickening thing ............ click
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
I checked out your link. I had a sense that acting quickly was crucial and I did a pretty good job of using what is suggested. Wow, go me!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 04:58 pm
In reference to trapped dead-skunk gas that gets out of the body:

"The human body can not take even one whiff of it, it makes you throw up instantly, so fast you don't even have time to open your mouth, much less bend over....."

From Beth's sickening thing link.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:00 pm
Go, littlek!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:17 pm
http://www.humboldt.edu/~wfw2/deodorize.shtml

Quote:
For pets that have been sprayed, bathe the animal in a mixture of 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drug store), 1/4 cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and a teaspoon of liquid detergent. After 5 minutes rinse the animal with water. Repeat if necessary. The mixture must be used after mixing and will not work if it is stored for any length of time. DO NOT STORE IN A CLOSED CONTAINER - it releases oxygen gas so it could break the container. This mixture may bleach the pet's hair. I have heard of one black Labrador retriever that was chocolate colored after this treatment. (Paul Krebaum's Recipe from Chemical & E ngineering News , October 18, 1993, p. 90).

Some additional tips. Do this outside so the volatile skunk spray does not contaminate your house. To remove residual skunk odor from your clothes and any towels or rags used in this clean up procedure, wash them with one cup of liquid laundry bleach per gallon of water.

It may change the hair color.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 05:30 pm
http://ladywildlife.com/animal/rabies.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:32 pm
hmmmm
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:50 pm
found a dead skunk in our sideyard last summer. phoned around but found no takers. neighbour dropped by; she phoned a biology-teacher friend of her's she come over ina rew minutes with a shovel and plstic bag. "just what i need for biology class" , she said, as her daughter performed a wardance around the skunk while she scooped it into the bag. i looked a little puzzled; "oh, i'll keep it in the freezer" she said as she happily marched off with the skunk in the bag ! i kid you not ! hbg ... ebeth had a friend in highschool whose sister used to keep all kinds of dead animals in the family freezer "for further studies". i guess, when one lives in eastern ontario, nothing surprises.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:55 pm
The freezer? No thanks. Could you imagine all your food tasting like skunk spray? Actually, that dead little skunk was less smelly than the yard or the dog.

I photograph dead things. It started when I came across a bunch of butchered baby bunnies (sorry Deb) in some woods by my house. I happened to have a camera on me and photo'd the poor things to show someone who might look out for all the little bunnies in the future (dept of health: they were in a little stream). Since then, I keep happening upon dead critters while I am toting my camera. But, no pix of this little skunk.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:18 pm
Hamburger, you never raised boys. I was always finding critters in the freezer. They even brought a dead snake home from a visit to my uncle's ranch in Colorado and stashed it in the freezer.

Luckily, I was a tomboy and tended to do things like that as a child, so I never went "Eeeek," like a cartoon mother when they showed their propencity for storage of dead critters. (Even found a dead frog in the jeans pocket of one of my sons, after taking it out of the dryer. That did elicit an "UGH!")
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
diane : it was her (elder) sister who kept the dead critters in the freezer for "future science projects". at least here in eastern ontario the girls were/are just as likely to get into mischief as the boys - must be the rarefied air here ! hbg
0 Replies