Gun control debate

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:55 am
Can you recommend me good gun control debate discussions from this forum? I want to read previous debates on gun control.

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,631 • Replies: 94
No top replies

agrote

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 03:49 am
Why not start your own debate?
0 Replies

teach me to debate

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:25 pm
I might. But I want to read some too.
0 Replies

whatthewtf

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:00 am
is there a debate about gun control, i mean we all now gun control can only work in a perfect world anyways.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
What do you mean?

In a perfect world there wouldn't be any guns to control - so gun control wouldn't work, it wouldn't exist. If in a perfect world there are no guns, that suggests that getting rid of guns gets us closer to having a perfect world, right? So I'm all for melting them down and building a spaceship or something.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:24 am
agrote wrote:
In a perfect world there wouldn't be any guns to control - so gun control wouldn't work, it wouldn't exist. If in a perfect world there are no guns, that suggests that getting rid of guns gets us closer to having a perfect world, right? So I'm all for melting them down and building a spaceship or something.

Interesting view. There would be guns in my perfect world.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
But in what context fishin'? In my perfect world, there would be no war or crime, and therefore, no need to use guns. You can use it to kill animals though. What guns are we talking about?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
That was my point Rick. I shoot all the time. I don't see where my "killing" of piece of paper hurts anyone. agrote's comment implies that guns are to blame for at least some of the "evils" in the world. The negatives aren't in the gun itself. It's in how some people use the tool.

In my perfect world there would be guns, but people wouldn't have any reason or need to use them to hurt anyone else. Wink
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
But shooting down animals is debatable. I oppose pleasure hunting personally.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:18 pm
Quote:
But shooting down animals is debatable. I oppose pleasure hunting personally.

it's all part of nature. we humans are animals just like the rest of them, just a bit more intelligent. if we want to shoot an animal, it is a natural urge, because we ARE natural. it's all part of life. if it weren't for organisms killing other organisms, we would all still be a bunch of single cell blobs.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
True, but I'm talking about PLEASURE hunting. I am not talking about the principle 'kill to achieve food'. I do not oppose that.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:24 pm
IMO the best gun debates happened during portions of these threads:

Glorifying Guns

Bowling for Columbine!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
i can think of rationalizations for both perspectives.

for killing: they are just organisms which have no purpose anyway like the rest of us and nothign really matters so killing them doesnt matter either

for not killing: they have emotions and we dont need to hurt their emotions (we dont really know if they have emotions though)

my personal opinion is that people should just follow their own moral system. if someone feels bad about hurting animals, then they should not do it. if they find it a fun sport, then sure go ahead.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
Hunting for sport makes me sick.

Stuh
Since when is killing an animal a natural urge. I think people who enjoy killing helpless animals are sick!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:39 pm
Quote:
Since when is killing an animal a natural urge

duh....since humans evolved....
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
stuh505 wrote:
If someone feels bad about hurting animals, then they should not do it. if they find it a fun sport, then sure go ahead.

Thinking like that is dangerous. Replace 'hurting animals' by 'hurting little children'. They are not the same, yes. But it is the same type of argumentation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
By and large, stuh, I think the primitives killed animals for food or in defense of family. Can't think of too many people then or today who would see the pleasure in taking on a mastodon with a stone tipped stick for the pleasure of the thing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:48 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Since when is killing an animal a natural urge

duh....since humans evolved....

Way back when, killing animals for food was survival and I honestly think they would have rather taken a trip to the supermarket. I've never heard of it being an urge and the thought of knowing that some people have an urge to kill really creeps me out.

And duh right back at ya!!!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:50 pm
I never encouraged people to kill animals. I never even said whether or not I would kill an animal.

All I said was that

any urges a human has is a "natural" urge since we are part of nature,

and

i think people should listen to their own moral values, not just with respect to killing animals but to all things in life
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
What about all those serial killers out there who say that they kill because they have an urge? Do you think it's natural and that they should just continue to listen to their moral values?
0 Replies