Angelite - Celestite

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 11:28 am
I am extremely passionate about crystals, rocks, minerals and in a book they said that Celestite SrSO4 is compressed over millions of years and creates Angelite(Anhydrite) CaSO4. I read this and it didn't make sense. To my knowledge Strontium doesn't convert to Calcium under pressure. And Anhydrites are formed through a high content mineral solution, like its sister mineral Gypsum. For my own information i would like to know if my thought is correct...Angelite is not formed from Celestite.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,515 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:40 pm
@rowangoddess,
youre pretty much right on---good thinking. Sr and Ba sulfates for a complete solid solution series so you will find these two in differing formula amounts (90Sr to (0Ba). AND, Anhydrite (Gypsum--I hate ANgelite its so damn "New Age"), because the Ca ion radius is so different. doesnt usually substitute with Celestite well, but celestine will substitute with Barium and some Barium will substitute with the Ca . Usually Sr sulfates only make up less than 1-2% of a primary sedimentary crystal mass.
USUALLy, when we find celestite (tine) its a nice blue grey with rhomboid cleavages.
They are usually found in limestones oor, like Anhydrite, in huge gypsum deposit with some Barite(like along Cape Blomidon in Nova SCotia)

dalehileman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:52 pm
@farmerman,
Man, I'm impressed
0 Replies

rowangoddess

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 02:26 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you so much. That helps my mind from running around in circles.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 03:17 pm
@farmerman,
boy, I read what I wrote and it almot unintelligible. What I meant was that Ba and Sr can form acontinuous "solid solution> between the two alkaliearths. Ca doesnt form a ny solid solutions with Sr, BUT, it can be replaced (a bit) by Ba, so , in the sulphate minerals, it IS possible for some Sr to show up with CaSo4.(Usually though, its only 1 or 2%)
You are correct RG bout your concern for Sr nd C sulphates.

What eactly does the mineral description say about "solid solutions" between Anhydrite and Celestite?
rowangoddess

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
Funny thing is I was able to understand what you wrote, no problem.

It is not a mineral description persay. I was reading a metaphysical book that under the description of Anhydrite it said it was made from Celestite. When i looked at chemical makeup thats when it didn't look right to me. I tried a search online and found that of the 5 website i checked they all must have read the same book and took it for gospel. I use mineral in my spiritual belief system, but also am very scientific minded. So I take chemical make up very seriously and dont like using mis information. I can know make notes in that book that crosses that out.
0 Replies