Jordan ready to send troops to Iraq,also perhaps Yemen

Thok

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:23 pm
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Jordan says it is willing to send troops to Iraq, becoming the first Arab state to do so, if Baghdad's new interim government requested it.

King Abdullah, whose country would also be the first of Iraq's neighbours to send troops, was speaking in a television interview with the BBC's Newsnight programme. He said he had not yet discussed the issue with Iraqis.

Abdullah's comments, welcomed by U.S. officials, reflect a major shift in his country's views on the international military presence in Iraq now that Washington has handed power to Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's interim government.

"My position has been beforehand not to send troops ... because of Jordanian history with Iraq," he said. "I felt that all countries that surround Iraq have their own agendas, so maybe we're not the right people to go in for the job."

"However, now there's an interim government and, we hope, a fully independent process very soon in Iraq. I presume, if the Iraqis ask us for help directly it will be very difficult for us to say no," he said.

"My message to the president and prime minister is: tell us what you want, tell us how we can help and we have 110 percent support for this," he said.

REUTERS
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:41 pm
That's good news! Iraq needs more Arab/Muslim countries to help Iraq squash terrorism.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 10:51 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's good news! Iraq needs more Arab/Muslim countries to help Iraq squash terrorism.

exactly, because again: Baghdad hotels hit by rockets

CNN article
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:34 pm
Re: Jordan ready to send troops to Iraq
Thok wrote:
Quote:
"However, now there's an interim government and, we hope, a fully independent process very soon in Iraq. I presume, if the Iraqis ask us for help directly it will be very difficult for us to say no," he said.
REUTERS
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:39 pm
Of course, if they ask him..
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 05:42 am
Now Iraq considers Jordan troop offer
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:19 am
same link

Iraq welcomes Jordan offer
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:37 am
Seems to be a step in the right direction.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
Latest on BBC News
Yemen willing to send troops to Iraq under UN mandate - officials.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:53 am
Thok wrote:
Latest on BBC News
Yemen willing to send troops to Iraq under UN mandate - officials.

Quote:
Yemen willing to send peacekeepers to Iraq

By AHMED AL-HAJ, ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN'A, Yemen (AP) - Yemen is willing to send peacekeeping soldiers to Iraq if the deployment had U.N. backing and was under the control of the world body, Foreign Ministry officials said Friday.
The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Yemen was discussing plans to send forces to Iraq.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
Quote:
SAN'A, Yemen (AP) - Yemen is willing to send peacekeeping soldiers to Iraq if the deployment had U.N. backing and was under the control of the world body

What exactly does that mean. The new Iraqi government is asking for assistance. They the Iraqi's are the ones I would suppose who should determine how and when they are used. In addition they would be only a small fraction of the force and can not go off like a bull in a China shop on their own but must be assimilated into the forces presently on the ground
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:26 am
au1929 wrote:
The new Iraqi government is asking for assistance. They the Iraqi's are the ones I would suppose who should determine how and when they are used.

From where do you know that the Iraqui government had asked Jemen?

And 'asking' doen't mean, IMHO, that someone has to go/come.
(The USA asked a lot of countries to join the invasion forces.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:42 pm
Walter
Iraq has asked for assistance. From what I gathered anyone willing to help quell the insurgency will be welcome. Based upon your post Yemen has made that offer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:58 pm
au1929 wrote:
Based upon your post Yemen has made that offer.

"If" they said :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
Walter
And I was asking what exactly does "and was under the control of the world body" mean.
0 Replies