Collective Consciousness?

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:32 pm
Do you believe there is a collective consciousness of humanity?

That is, say a group of people are given a crossword puzzle to do.
They get a certain number of the answers correct.

Then, the next day, millions of people see the answer to the puzzle in the paper, but not our test group. The test group does not communicate with anyone who has seen the answers.

Some believe the test group will then be able to attain higher number of correct answers on the crossword puzzle.

collective consciousness. Do you believe?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,117 • Replies: 12
No top replies

tcis

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:38 pm
I believe there may be something there. But most of us aren't able to tap into it...yet.
0 Replies

Solon

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
Thousands of cells in a body, thousands of bodys in a town, thousands of towns in a country...ETC.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
Quote:

Then, the next day, millions of people see the answer to the puzzle in the paper, but not our test group. The test group does not communicate with anyone who has seen the answers.

Some believe the test group will then be able to attain higher number of correct answers on the crossword puzzle.

you must be joking, right?
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:34 am
If we all have a collective conciousness then why is it that everyone here has such a hard time agreeing? Smile
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:51 am
the rest of you can speak for yourself, but i know for a fact that I personally do not benefit from any kind of collective consciousness because I do not hear other people's thoughts, and it would be impossible for me to be subconsciously affected because I am aware of every specific calculated reason for why I make any decision.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:11 am
Must be nice......
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 11:57 am
I kinda think there is something to this.
I am a delivery driver and I deliver to the same shops every day.It is amazing how many times most of the shops are busy and get a big delivery and how often they are not and then get hardly anything.

I'm not talking about regular shopping habits,like at the end of the month or at a holiday time.Just sometimes when the shops are busy or quiet all at the same time.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
gordy, yeah, we COULD all be blindly functioning over a worldwide telepathic network with no basis in science or logic...OR maybe you just don't know where the party's at Razz
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 02:51 pm
What party?...This happens all the time
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 02:55 pm
Don't twins have some sort of connection like this? Like they are tuned in with each other to a greater degree than others? If this is true, then why couldn't it be true to a lesser degree that we are all connected in some way?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
Haven't any of you seen the phenomenon in group entertainment? Or even done it at a party? The entire group thinks really hard about something trying to communicate it non visually and non verbally to the subject. And, while there are many misses, the subject will pick up on what is being communicated more often than might fall within the range of 'lucky guess'.

I think there is something to it but requires a focused concentration. I'm not sure the crossword puzzle example would fit.
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:52 am
Re: Collective Consciousness?
extra medium wrote:

No not really because consciousness is such a personal thing unique to each of us.

I do think there is a social conscience that exists. However this isn't always based on agreement but more on religious norms and bullying.

I don't think one real "answer" can be acheived because everyone will have their own spin on it. There own "if, and/or but's" if you will.
0 Replies