WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS

Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:39 am
Wait a minute...it seems that the female guitarists are under-represented,
as well as other musical genres. Let's try this for a spell:
Gabriela Quintero (with Rodrigo y Gabriela)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:51 am
Oriathi is an Austalian singer-songwriter, who here does Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile."

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:01 am
Desireé Bassett jams with her idol, Barry Goudreau of Boston.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:08 am
Kerry Livgren of Topeka was a founding member of the band Kansas.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:21 am
Sister Rosetta Tharpe . . .

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 06:30 am
Two guys singing and playing guitar about a duck, a goose, and a swan.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 11:01 am
Good old Welsh boy Dave Edmunds (Love Sculpture, Rock Pile etc) belts it out with the Sabre Dance.......

Live in Spain.....

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 12:12 pm
The band Toto formed in California in the late 70s, with Steve Lukather on lead guitar. Here they perform "Africa" at a concert in Amsterdam.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 12:17 pm
Billy Gibbons was the founder and lead guitarist of ZZ Top, which formed in Texas in 1969. Still in business, the last of the three man power bands, they all like a sharp dressed man.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 12:36 pm
And now for a gentle, relaxing ballad that was recorded about half a mile from where I live, and just round the back from my (still) favourite Indian Restaurant in Rickmansworth.

Lead guitar - Mr "Fast" Eddie Clarke, vocals by Mr Lemmy Sideburns.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 12:55 pm
I can't see Brian May anywhere, but maybe I missed him.

Queen are possibly the best live band that I've ever seen, including Floyd and The Stones, and May, in his prime, was up there with the best, imo.

I've racked my brains for one that actually showcases him a bit, as he usually stands quietly in the background and just gets on with it.

Here he is live at Wembley with "Now I'm Here". It's worth watching it right to the end, as he gets a speaking part!

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 02:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Jorgen Ingman
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXLJsO_ulw[/youtube]

I'm just working through and playing posted tracks, and discovered that this is 'Apache'.

In the UK, we always think of The Shadows when we hear this, as they did the original in 1960. It was a massive hit over here.

Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 02:44 pm
Raised on this group and their lyrics to their songs.
First time I ever listened to music on headphones...Moody Blues "The Story in Your Eyes' :
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Jorgen Ingman
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXLJsO_ulw[/youtube]

I'm just working through and playing posted tracks, and discovered that this is 'Apache'.

In the UK, we always think of The Shadows when we hear this, as they did the original in 1960. It was a massive hit over here.

[Youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EzgbcyfJgfQ[/youtube]

I never heard your version before. Jorgan Ingman's record was all over the radio, here, for a time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:56 pm
"Apache" is a much-recorded instrumental written by Jerry Lordan.[1] The original version was by the British group the Shadows, recorded in June 1960 and released the following month. It topped the UK Singles Chart for five weeks.[2][3]
In North America, the tune is identified with Jørgen Ingmann, a jazz guitarist from Denmark.[1] In 1961, his cover version, credited to "Jørgen Ingmann and His Guitar", made No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No.9 on the US R&B chart.[4] The track reached No.1 on Canada's CHUM Chart.
A 1973 version by the Incredible Bongo Band has been called "hip-hop’s national anthem".[5] Although this version was not a hit on release, its long percussion break has been sampled countless times on hip hop and dance tracks since the 1980s.
In March 2005, Q magazine placed "Apache" at No.96 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 09:40 pm
Worth a read :

A guitar and voice (piano lead) - its been done before, but this is arguably the most popular of all time . At any rate, it is an unusual event .
American Pie - Don McLean
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 10:14 pm
Anyone for a 12 string instrumental by Black Sabbath ? No, I am not doing drugs...
Fluff - Black Sabbath
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 10:32 pm
A song about an anonymous equine in a precipitationally challenged geographical area . More 12 string ! Soak in it .

Horse with No name - America

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 10:37 pm
One of my favourite tunes ever...took me ages to discover what the words are to it, I just enjoyed the overall sound .
California Dreamin' - The Mamas and The Papas
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 01:31 am
This is a guitar music thread, so please name the guitarist if it's not immediately obvious. The founder of Black Sabbath and lead guitarist was Tony Iommi. This is from their second album in 1970, although most of it was recorded at the same time as the first album. This is billed as the original video.