edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 08:19 pm
Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This is a guitar music thread, so please name the guitarist if it's not immediately obvious. The founder of Black Sabbath and lead guitarist was Tony Iommi. This is from their second album in 1970, although most of it was recorded at the same time as the first album. This is billed as the original video.

Tony Iommi is currently battling cancer.

He is still putting out music though. Ozzy has rejoined the band (yay!) and they've already released one record, had a concert tour, and are currently making another record.

It's been a long time since I've been to a concert, but I've been thinking that maybe I need to see these guys again next time they come through Michigan.

Here is their performance of Children of the Grave at California Jam:

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Oriathi is an Austalian singer-songwriter, who here does Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile."

She played for Alice Cooper for a few years too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:38 pm
Edgar Winter Group
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:48 pm
Big Brother and the Holding Company
Leader Peter Albin, a country-blues guitarist who had played with future founders of the Grateful Dead Jerry Garcia and Ron McKernan, met Sam Andrew, a professional rock & roll guitarist with a jazz and classical background. After playing together at Albin's home, Andrew suggested they form a band.[2] The pair approached guitarist James Gurley, the resulting threesome playing open jam sessions hosted by entrepreneur Chet Helms in 1965. Helms found them a drummer, Chuck Jones, and Big Brother and the Holding Company was formed at their first gig, the Trips Festival in January 1966. In the audience was painter and jazz drummer David Getz, who soon displaced Jones.
Big Brother went on to become the house band at the Avalon Ballroom, playing a progressive style of instrumental rock. Feeling a need for a strong vocalist, Helms contacted Janis Joplin in Austin, Texas, who at the time was considering joining up with Roky Erickson of The 13th Floor Elevators. She traveled to San Francisco and debuted with Big Brother at the Avalon on June 10, 1966.[3][4][5
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:49 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
whoa, next thing youll be playing Meggadeth and Metallica

Metallica in Detroit, only a few weeks into their tour for the black album:

I was in the fifth row main floor the first night, and the fourth row main floor the second night (both times directly in front of Kirk Hammet's microphone).

The idiots waving their arms in the air (why aren't they headbanging?) are up in the stands. You really can't see anyone from the main floor in this video, but I'm down there. I caught a guitar pick.

James Hetfield: vocals, rhythm guitar
Kirk Hammet: lead guitar, backing vocals
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
whoa, next thing youll be playing Meggadeth and Metallica

You're bringing back such wonderful memories of my youth.

When I die, if I make it to Heaven I wanna spend eternity in a neverending Megadeth concert (Rust in Peace era).

The blonde lead guitarist in the middle who is doing most of the singing is Dave Mustaine. The dark haired lead guitarist on the right is Marty Friedman.

(Yes, two lead guitarists.)
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 04:49 am
@oralloy,
I actually like "shredding" and Mustaine was a great one. However, an eternal concert???

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:00 am
The Byrds
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 02:59 pm
EB, could you please name the lead guitarist performing in the clips you post? Thank you.
jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 03:33 pm
Ernie Isley -

The studio version showcases the guitar playing better -
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 03:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
A great cut, EB . . . after Janis left Big Brother, she joined with Full Tillt Boogie. The name is a play on name of the band's founder and lead guitarist, John Till.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 04:14 pm
@Setanta,
I will try.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 04:21 pm
The Beatles, 'I'm Looking Through You'
(Geo Harrison, electric lead guitar, Lennon, acoustic rhythm)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 04:27 pm
The Wallflowers, "I'm Looking Through You",
Guitarist Tobi Miller, Jakob Dylan, singer-songwriter
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 01:32 am
His playing got most of the attention from fans (as well as musicians)
but it was his singing that was truly amazing, too. BB King called this
one of his best performance ever; performing at Sing Sing (11/1972):
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 02:00 am
Gawd, I love this song, the singer, harp playing and Tony Joe White's guitar playing. Apparently, the proper spelling is 'poke sallet'. It blew me (and everyone) else away when we all learned that he was a white boy. If you allow the link continue on playing it continues on with Tony and Johnny Cash playing and rapping away this same song together on Johnny's show. This is a hidden treasure:
0 Replies