UN Nuclear Chief Israel Should Disarm, Iran 'Not a Concern

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:52 pm
UN's Nuclear Chief: Israel Should Disarm, Iran 'Not a Concern'
23:21 Jun 29, '04 / 10 Tammuz 5764

The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency, Mohamed El Baradei has suggested that Israel get rid of its nuclear weapons. At the same time, El Baradei insists that Iran’s documented pursuit of nuclear capabilities are “not a concern.”

El Baradei, who is scheduled to visit Israel next month, told reporters that Israel should take steps to disarm in order to reduce frustration in the region about "what is seen to be a widespread imbalance".

"We need... to rid the Middle East of all weapons of mass destruction," El Baradei told Reuters. "Israel agrees with that, but they say it has to be... after peace agreements. My proposal is that maybe we need to start to have a parallel dialogue on security at the same time when we're working on the peace process."
El Baradei said that he would like to see Israel, along with other Middle East countries, open up their nuclear facilities to inspections by the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency.

In a speech today (Tuesday), the same El Baradei who called for a, “Nuclear-free Middle-East" took a different tone – this time dealing with Iran’s nuclear program. El Baradei told reporters that he was unconcerned by Russia's construction of a nuclear reactor in Iran, brushing aside US allegations that the facility could be used to develop nuclear weapons.

America, which says Iran is part of an ‘axis of evil’ seeking nuclear weapons to terrorize the free world, has strongly criticized Russia for pushing ahead with construction of the $800 million reactor near the Iranian port of Bushehr. The American Government has said that Iran could use Moscow's atomic know-how to develop nuclear weapons. El-Baradei has adopted the Iranian claim, announcing today that, "Bushehr is a project to produce nuclear energy," and should not be the “center of international concern.”

Recent satellite photos have led many to claim Iran is attempting to mislead the UN agency, hiding the fact that it has been trying to develop weapons of mass destruction. According to a report in The New Yorker magazine about the nuclear weapons black market, the IDF’s elite intelligence unit known as Unit 8200 broke a “sophisticated Iranian code” a number of years ago permitting the monitoring of communications between Iran and Pakistan regarding Iran’s nuclear program.

I understand in his spare time El Baradei will sell you a bridge. Get rid of your weapons said the spider to the fly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 762 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:25 pm
Israeli's good, Arab's bad.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:29 pm
Brown you finally made some sense Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:36 am
nono they are both equally bad Razz
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:39 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Israeli's good, Arab's bad.

please explain?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 08:40 am
yeah you tell em thok Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
well i think they both dont help each other
but from what ive seen theres so much hatred in that area that its difficult for anyone to change
their current position
i think its difficult for anyone who doesnt live there to realise just what a mess it all is

at the end of a day israels got a right to exist but i think the arabs do too

but i dont think its right anyone has nukes

no matter how different their beliefs are
all this hating each other doesnt help either side

i think the palestinians deserve a homeland but from all my studies in the last years it seems that they could have got a much better deal but instead they chose this course of violence end thus they are themselves to blame for their current position

i think its hypocritical for some countries to have nukes and not others

fair playing field for all i say

but nevertheless the way the world is is the way it is

lets just see what happens in the future
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 02:37 pm
Quote:
The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency, Mohammed El Baradei has suggested that Israel get rid of its nuclear weapons. At the same time, El Baradei insists that Iran's documented pursuit of nuclear capabilities are “not a concern.”

Not a concern for who? Apparently he is under the impression that Israel will attack it's neighbors with nuclear weaponry but peaceful Iran would never use them. It couldn't be because El Baradei is biased against Israel?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 03:31 pm
Smile well i dont know what to say...i feel trapped in the middle sometimes...
as far as i see it israel doesnt need nukes
they already got a far superior conventional military than anything any of the arab league has

ok i suppose el baradei is biased given how much hes spoken out against israel in the last few months
but he sees what the world media is portraying which is a superior israeli military force bullying all the poor little arabs.......
i understand both sides which makes it difficult for me
i can tell which side your on au1929 Wink
my girlfriend is from ashdod and she has explained a lot to me
i think a lot of the problem is the media
because all we hear and see in europe is bad press against israel
oh israel kills children
oh israel destroys houses
oh israel attacks refugee camps
oh israels building the barrier and stealing arab land
etc etc
now it would be a different matter im sure if england or france or germany say had bombers blowing up people in london or paris or berlin
but it seems no one considers that
so its all messed up...

i know how you feel
i know how they feel
what can be done to bring about peace?
the problem is the hatred on both sides

i see how bad iran is politically but do you really think they are clever enough to build a nuke let alone use it?

i dont know
i just dont think this over paranoid israeli stance of the whole world is against us helps

and i dont know whats true

i know hamas and the terrorists are bad people but doesnt it make matters worse all this hate?

there must be something that can be done to bring about peace
surely

wars no good for anyone apart from the arms companies

anyway you know what ive been trying to think for years and i talked to people on both sides and the problem is the few extremists on each sides who are willing to commit acts of voilence that is ultimately fooking it up for everyone

au1929 dude...if i were you i wouldnt worry so much..
be cool dude
since 1948 people have been trying to destroy israel..and have they succeded?
no they havent...
so why should they now? or at anypoint in the future?
maybe im being naive but really i dont think youve that much to worry about
and i really dont think israel needs nuclear weapons

cos i think with such determination that no one can take their homeland away from them by any means

anyway i dont make the decisions
ill leave that up to the government

you live in america why should you worry ? you got it all over there...

anyway peace and love dude
thats what counts a life of love

dont get involved with it..itll only twist your mind..it did mine...lifes too short
the news winds us all up thats the job of the news....
0 Replies