How Sharia Law Works...

swolf

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:30 am
http://www.barnabasfund.org/News/Archive/Sudan/Sudan-20040615.htm

Quote:

SUDAN

15 June 2004

Christian Woman Subjected to Whipping Under Islamic Law

In Khartoum, Sudan, a young Christian woman was fined and whipped for not wearing the hijab (headscarf) in public after a group of public-order policemen arrested her when she travelled home from work on 13 April.

Cecilia John Holland, 27, boarded a minibus at Badr Gardens to travel to her home in the suburb of Haj Yousif on the evening on 13 April when she was arrested for not wearing the hijab. About 10 police forced the bus to stop and dragged her from it. She was modestly dressed in long sleeves and an ankle-length skirt, but her hair was uncovered in Khartoum temperatures of 100-105 degrees F (37-41ºC).

The group of policemen forced her into their vehicle, striking her in the process. Four other women were already inside. When seven more had been arrested they were taken to a police station and held overnight. The next morning, 14 April, Cecilia was taken to Sizana Islamic Court where the Muslim policemen testified against her. She was not allowed to make any kind of statement or speak in her own defence.

She was accused of "standing near a garden at night" and not wearing a scarf on her head. They also misrepresented Cecilia by stating that she was "jobless", refusing to register her employment. She is a catering officer for a local non-governmental organisation and holds a diploma in catering from Khartoum Applied Sciences College. Cecilia is one of more than two million non-Muslim southerners in and around the capital Khartoum who have been displaced as a result of the 21-year civil war between the mainly Arab Muslim North and the mainly African Christian and animist South, who rebelled when the government tried to impose Islamic law on them.

The Islamic court declared Cecilia guilty and sentenced her to 40 lashes on the back and fined her 10,000 dinars (about £28), equivalent to one third of her monthly salary. She was released that afternoon after being whipped and paying the fine. Earlier in April, the government had renewed its insistence that all Sudanese citizens residing in Khartoum would be under shari'a (Islamic law). Cecilia has a European grandparent and therefore has paler skin and longer hair than most southern Sudanese. While the police may have initially mistaken her for an Arab Muslim, her name and accent should have proved her Christian and southern Sudanese identity to them. However, the police told her that no-one, "not even a non-Muslim" was exempt from the Islamic dress code.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 871 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:54 am
What can I say? The entire incident is disgusting. That's what you get when you mix religion and politics. YUK!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:59 am
I find the naming of that law personally slanderous. Who can I sue for libel??? hmph. indeed.

(sorry y'all - I know it's ages old...)

Dang, that's a raw behind deal. Totally. I love America.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:08 am
It's disgusting, like Phoenix said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:14 am
Perhaps she should have called for help from the Christian Law Association?

To satisfy dress codes for e.g. some Italian churches, men and women have to wear a long-sleeve shirt. Women wearing sleeveless or short-sleeve blouses can cover their bare arms with a scarf; it's no longer necessary for women to cover their heads - and not obeying these laws just costs you some Euros for local church fund :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:17 am
Quote:
To satisfy dress codes for e.g. some Italian churches

Walter- IMO, you are mixing apples with oranges. I have no problem if some groups (including churches) have a dress code. It is voluntary. If you don't like the code, you have the choice of not going to the church.

The woman in the Sudan was going home from work, for goodness sakes!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:55 am
Well, dress code in churches is Italian (regional/local) law.

I wouldn't like Sudanian law, either. But I don't live there.

(I don't like the death penalty, especially, when used against juneviles and/or psychiatric ill persons. But we don't have such here, neither.)

Comparing Shari'ah with our two most common western law systems (Roman law and common law) can't be done just by one specific case (as you can't do that within our law systems).

In classical form the Shari'ah differs from Western systems of law in two principal respects:
- in the first place the scope of the Shari'ah is much wider, since it regulates man's relationship not only with his neighbours and with the state, which is the limit of most other legal systems, but also with his God and his own conscience,
- the second major distinction between the Shari'ah and Western legal systems is the result of the Islamic concept of law as the expression of the divine will.
0 Replies