"Bush Urges All Autocrats to Yield Now to Democracy"

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:51 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/30/international/europe/30PREX.html

The New York Times reports:

"ISTANBUL, June 29 ? President Bush called on Muslim nations on Tuesday to embrace democracy and warned Middle East autocrats, including those who are American allies, that they "must recognize the direction of events of the day."

Speaking at the end of a five-day trip to Europe and Turkey, Mr. Bush acknowledged that Western nations have helped nourish extremism by supporting repressive Middle Eastern leaders for the sake of regional stability."

The speech came at the end of a NATO summit.

"He sought to link the invasion of Iraq to a strategy aimed at promoting democracy in what he called the "broader Middle East," an area that aides said might stretch from North Africa to the Indian subcontinent.

While he offered few specific prescriptions, he repeated to his audience of Turkish journalists and business leaders his assertion that removing Saddam Hussein from power set the stage for a democratic transformation in Iraq that would inspire reformers in other countries.

"Any nation that compromises with violent extremists only emboldens them and invites future violence," Mr. Bush said. "Suppressing dissent only increases radicalism.""

Hmmmmmm - what does this portend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 990 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:51 am
And - does he maen to include the House of Saud?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:39 am
by "the broader middle-east" I thought he was talking about New Jersey.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:00 am
I hope he meant to include the White House.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:30 am
Interestingly, in that article, there is a lot about NATO and Iraq and Afghanistan - Afghanistan has requested more NATO troops - and there is discussion about whether NATO and Iraq.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:36 am
Given that autocracy would be the ultimate consummation so devoutly desired by the Bush dynasty, the mealy-mouthed hypocricy is breathtaking . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:40 am
Yes - but is anyone else about to get invaded?

Maybe NATO?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:48 am
Quote:

LOL! See, he read my post Razz

Quote:
Mr. Bush acknowledged that Western nations have helped nourish extremism by supporting repressive Middle Eastern leaders for the sake of regional stability." [..]

Mr. Bush said. "Suppressing dissent only increases radicalism."

Bloody right.

Hypocritical or not, thats good stuff, actually.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul not Constantinople
Been a long time gone
Old Constantinople's still has Turkish delight
On a moonlight night

Every gal in Constantinople
Is a Miss-stanbul, not Constantinople
So if you've date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Even old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
(People just liked it better that way)

Take me back to Constantinople
No, you can't go back to Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
They are now activating what was known in my military days as the inactive reserve. That had too sedentary a sound for the DoD, however, and the name was changed to "the ready reserve." That expression, however, alarmed those who had already done three or four years of active duty, as had i, so they renamed it the individual reserve, dropping the requirement to attend annual training. (Annual training was a miserably flop after Viet Nam--for example, i sent a letter to the reserve unit in Missouri to which i had been assigned, inviting them, in so many words, to find me and make me attend.) Therefore, they once again renamed it, to the "individual reserve." They are now calling up those poor s.o.b.'s, because we cannot meet our current commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and the thirty other foreign nations in which our trooops are stationed.

The situation is similar to (but only superficially) the position in which the Roman Empire had found itself in the late second century--over-committed militarity with a stagnant economy. Bush's solution has been remarkably similar to that of Septimius Severus--he has expanded our military commitments while placating the wealthy with tax exemptions. Septimius Severus of course, simply debased the currency further, and paid the army exorbitant amounts. The Shrub has been even more ruthless, he doesn't bother to assure that active-duty soldiers and their families, or veterans, get the benefits they are due and have been promised.

Nota Bene: I do not for a moment subscribe to any of the specious comparisons of the United States to the Roman Empire which have been so popular in our history. I especially despise the tendancy of American conservatives to dress up the old whore Gibbon created about moral decay and the barbarian wolf at the door.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:00 am
Hey Dys, did you see where the Pope apologized to Constantinople for the sack of the city by Crusaders in 1204? Guess you need to send him that They Might Be Giants song . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:07 am
Hmmmmm - Orwellian, no?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:07 am
He loved Big Brother.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:15 am
nimh wrote:
Quote:

LOL! See, he read my post Razz

Quote:
Mr. Bush acknowledged that Western nations have helped nourish extremism by supporting repressive Middle Eastern leaders for the sake of regional stability." [..]

Mr. Bush said. "Suppressing dissent only increases radicalism."

Bloody right.

Hypocritical or not, thats good stuff, actually.

Yes, interesting.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:21 pm
I'm committed. We will overthrow the unconstitutional and cruel government of John Howard!!! To the barracades mes enfants!!!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:11 am
It's interesting that comments which would provide the participants, thus far, in this thread with major wood if they were voiced by a Democrat, are ridiculed and dismissed.
0 Replies