Militants say U.S. soldier executed

Thok

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
Quote:
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - An Arabic television station has broadcast a video tape showing what militants say was the execution of a U.S. soldier, hours after the United States formally handed sovereignty to an interim Iraqi government.
The U.S.-led coalition handed powers to Iraqi leaders on Monday, two days earlier than planned, in an apparent effort to thwart any guerrilla attempt to mark the event with a spectacular attack. The low-key ceremony took many by surprise.
The day passed with no major incident on the streets of a country shaken over recent weeks by bombings and kidnappings. Conservative Arab states welcomed the move.
But video footage broadcast hours after the handover highlighted the security problems facing the government and the U.S.-led forces who remain in the country 14 months after the ouster of president Saddam Hussein.
Al Jazeera television showed film of what a militant commentary said was a U.S. soldier.
A gunman could be seen firing one shot at the soldier, wearing greenish overalls and seen only from the back. The body collapsed into a hole.
U.S. defence officials said the family of Private Keith Matthew Maupin, 20, seized by militants in April, had been told about the existence of the video, but that there was no confirmation Maupin, from Batavia, Ohio was the man killed.
Al Jazeera quoted a statement from a previously unheard of group as saying the soldier was killed because of U.S. policy in Iraq and in revenge for what it described as their "martyrs" in Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Algeria.
The group was identified as the Implacable Power Against the Enemy of God and the Prophet.

REUTERS

well, that is still the every day life in Iraq.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:19 pm
He was a dead man when he became a captive. It was just a matter of time - nothing else.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:14 am
That's not the point with the Turkish hostages, who have been released. They had the 'luck' to be Muslim it seems (as the terrorists said this was a sign towards all Turkish Muslims).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:47 am
And we worry about how Iraqi insurgents are treated when captured.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:42 pm
Don't think we should, Au?
Those are terrorists beheading people. What are we? Not terrorists, that's what.
Now when we catch THOSE guys, it might be a different story. I hope they get what's coming to them, but we can't treat everybody like that. We are not terrorists or insurgents, and our soldiers are representing the USA.
Would you want your son to be ordered to do that to a human being?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:45 pm
au1929 wrote:
And we worry about how Iraqi insurgents are treated when captured.

The scandals, for the most part, did not involve insurgents at all. By the US military's own admission the overwhelming majority "had nothing to do with anything".

One of the Iraqis who was is the famous pictures was picked up for happening to catch a cab that had been stolen for example.

So even if the implication you give that the way the insurgents should be treated should have anything to do with the beheadings I will note that the concern over US torture was in references to cases in which ordinary Iraqis were abused.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:46 pm
Suzy
Did you get the impression that I said we should behead anyone?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:51 pm
Yes, I did, and was quite surprised by it. What did you mean, Au?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
Craven
If you look at my statement you will see I said insurgents. I was very deliberate in doing so since I knew if I did not I would get the response I am getting.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:04 pm
au1929 wrote:
Craven
If you look at my statement you will see I said insurgents. I was very deliberate in doing so since I knew if I did not I would get the response I am getting.

au,

my point was that the "concern" you reference was, for the most part, a concern that was ultimately about every day Iraqi citizens and not insurgents.

This was based on the assumption that you were referencing the outcry about the prison abuses.

But you can feel free to clarify, what concerns for the insurgents are you talking about? We usually just shoot/bomb them.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:11 pm
We also catch some of them in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those I believe we should squeeze as hard as possible. No, I do not mean torture. I am well aware of the fact that many of those imprisoned were everyday citizens picked up and held for who knows what. Again that is why I was careful to say insurgents.
0 Replies